Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2123 2124 [2125] 2126 2127 ... 3345

Author Topic: Things that made you RRRRRRAAAAGGGGEEEE today: Trust-o-nomics Edition  (Read 3435937 times)

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you RRRAAAAGGGGEEEE today: Too Sexy For This Thread Edition
« Reply #31860 on: January 21, 2014, 01:02:03 pm »

Hey, don't blame me! Blame the people calling them RPGs :P.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you RRRAAAAGGGGEEEE today: Too Sexy For This Thread Edition
« Reply #31861 on: January 21, 2014, 01:02:39 pm »

Don't worry, I already do blame them.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31862 on: January 21, 2014, 01:19:12 pm »

We use rechargable batteries at our house.

In theory, your batteries run out, head to the charger/place to stick charged batteries and you get a fresh one, and stick your dead ones in the charger.

Instead, what happens is when I run out of battery, I put mine on to charge, and there are no charged ones because I'm the ONLY person actually putting them on to charge. Then when there's none left, everyone else is asking why nobody put any on to charge.

Gee, maybe if you didn't have a fucking aversion to it, there WOULD be some left that are fully charged. Just a hunch, though.

It could be worse; they could be throwing the batteries out when they died.

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #31863 on: January 21, 2014, 01:36:11 pm »

I hate printers.  Can't even print a black and white copy of something because the blue ink cartridge is low.

At least, I think it's because the blue ink cartridge is low.  It just says there's some unspecified problem with it.  It looks fine to me.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #31864 on: January 21, 2014, 01:53:37 pm »

You dislike every pen-and-paper RPG ever made, then? Not to mention every western RPG made before... Morrowind?

I should've qualified the statement with "Videogames".

In pen and Paper, the DM can explain why you missed, and in Larp missing isnt uncommon. But in stuff like Morrowind, you can poke that stick DIRECTLY into an Enemy Dragon thrice and miss every blow. I find that immensely immersion-breaking.

Exceptions include Turn-Based Games, because im not aiming directly in most of those. But when the game makes me do the swings myself, and wants me to aim my Bow, I dont want some percentage added that then calculates if that arrow/sword "counts".

I hope that makes a bit more sense, im actually a huge fan of PnP and Western RPG's.

Yeaaah, Morrowind's combat was what drove me away from it. I could accept a system that makes it harder for you, the player, to use the weapon due to the character's skill, but flat out nope.avi-ing the attack is painful.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #31865 on: January 21, 2014, 02:20:42 pm »

You dislike every pen-and-paper RPG ever made, then? Not to mention every western RPG made before... Morrowind?

In pen and Paper, the DM can explain why you missed, and in Larp missing isnt uncommon. But in stuff like Morrowind, you can poke that stick DIRECTLY into an Enemy Dragon thrice and miss every blow. I find that immensely immersion-breaking.

Hey, now, there aren't any dragons in Morrowind. They were all driven out by the Cliff Racers.

You can't assign a number to personality.

Dwarf Fortress seems to do it well enough...

da_nang

• Bay Watcher
  • Argonian Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #31866 on: January 21, 2014, 02:31:36 pm »

Apparently, ImageShack is pay-to-upload now. Anyone know of a good replacement?
"Deliver yesterday, code today, think tomorrow."
Ceterum censeo Unionem Europaeam esse delendam.
Future supplanter of humanity.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #31867 on: January 21, 2014, 02:33:42 pm »

imgur has only let me down recently by no longer conveniently listing a link directly to the image, so you have to add the .png or whatever manually.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #31868 on: January 21, 2014, 02:36:10 pm »

But there are dragons in Morrowind. They just fly very high. And the ones near the ground are invisible.

Also, you guys are seeing the split between player skill and character skill. In a tabletop RPG you generally see character skill apply in places where you need fine detail or there would be constant "cops and robbers" style "I would have ducked" kind of back-and-forth arguing. Everything else is fine when covered by player skill.

For example, you could have a game where inventory is a character skill, not a player skill. The character would have say 3 Supplies and when he needed rope he would roll 3 chances at his Expedition Planning skill and if one were a success he would mark off a Supply and suddenly one of them is a rope that he needs. If he failed, it means he wasn't very good at planning expeditions and picking the right gear, and he hadn't brought any rope.

But in D&D the player is expected to have player skill in that area. The player decides what gear he will take based on encumbrance capacity and available money, and if he arrives at the dungeon that has lots of vertical traverses and he was smart enough to pack 600' of rope, he knows it was an achievement of his player skill.

In an FPS for example the aiming is part of the player skill. Re-aiming to compensate for recoil, choosing how many shots in a burst based on recoil and range, when to reload, when to use a sidearm instead of the main gun, etc. are all commonly accepted as aspects of player skill. But the weapon damage is an aspect of the weapon, and recoil is an aspect of the weapon. But perhaps it's acceptable for character skill to affect weapon damage and recoil. Character skill can also affect the UI, which means a skilled character gives advantages that the player can use, which just feels right. In the case of Morrowind, your character's STR should affect his damage output. His AGI should affect his swing speed and recovery after a swing. Maybe weapon skill affects both of those things. Certainly weapon skill should affect how obvious the enemy's telegraphing and how much your character telegraphs an attack, which is a UI effect that gives the player better information to apply his player skill on. Moving and aiming feel like they should still be player skill.
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned
Haunter of Birthday Cakes, Bearded Hamburger, Intensely Off-Topic

da_nang

• Bay Watcher
  • Argonian Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #31869 on: January 21, 2014, 02:36:24 pm »

Hey, now, there aren't any dragons in Morrowind. They were all driven out by the Cliff Racers.
One will obviously miss the dragon when it's invisible...

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #31870 on: January 21, 2014, 03:04:37 pm »

Apparently, ImageShack is pay-to-upload now. Anyone know of a good replacement?
No clue if it's good for anything strenuous but I've been using upl.co for incidental image uploading for a while now, and it's seemed to work without much trouble.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #31871 on: January 21, 2014, 03:16:57 pm »

tinypic?
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #31872 on: January 21, 2014, 03:23:00 pm »

I second Imgur, because it has unconditional hotlinking, no bandwidth cap, and IIRC no expiration. Also uploading is insanely easy.

da_nang

• Bay Watcher
  • Argonian Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #31873 on: January 21, 2014, 03:25:02 pm »

I second Imgur, because it has unconditional hotlinking, no bandwidth cap, and IIRC no expiration. Also uploading is insanely easy.
Well, it's one view per six months minimum for non-premium members according to the FAQ.

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #31874 on: January 21, 2014, 03:37:59 pm »

Is that for the whole account? Like, if at least one of your images gets viewed in the month you're golden? Because you could link your avatar to it and set your homepage to B12 Forum.

If I do not connect to the Internet for a month, like an artist returning a check uncashed, assume I am dead.
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned
Haunter of Birthday Cakes, Bearded Hamburger, Intensely Off-Topic
Pages: 1 ... 2123 2124 [2125] 2126 2127 ... 3345