Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2124 2125 [2126] 2127 2128 ... 3345

Author Topic: Things that made you RRRRRRAAAAGGGGEEEE today: Trust-o-nomics Edition  (Read 3434795 times)

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you RRRAAAAGGGGEEEE today: Too Sexy For This Thread Edition
« Reply #31875 on: January 21, 2014, 03:39:51 pm »

I'm pretty sure it's individual images. If literally no one is seeing the image you uploaded in 6 months, there's no real reason for it to be there in the first place.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you RRRAAAAGGGGEEEE today: Too Sexy For This Thread Edition
« Reply #31876 on: January 21, 2014, 03:52:59 pm »

Because people hate looking at broken links maybe? Although if we really cared we would use a paid service.
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned
Haunter of Birthday Cakes, Bearded Hamburger, Intensely Off-Topic

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31877 on: January 21, 2014, 03:53:13 pm »

I use photobucket.

The only real complaint I have about it is that hey want to compress the bejeebus out anything you upload if it isn't in an already highly packed form, meaning if you try to upload a raw, or a packed bmp file, they will "conveniently" make it into a jpeg for you.

If you want a lossless image, you have to use png. Even then I wonder about them.

Photobucket is insanely easy to use, and even has mobile aps for doing exactly that. You can hotlink images as well. My avatar is hosted at my photobucket, for instance.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #31878 on: January 21, 2014, 04:03:20 pm »

Most, I imagine, want their own player skill to directly correlate to the character on the screen's skill (especially for things like hitting with a weapon), so Morrowind's normal system can be disliked.
For me the entire point of roleplay is numbers, something Morrowind is pretty good at.

Needless to say I loathe tabletop roleplay :P.
You'll have to explain that to me, because roleplaying as I understand it is sort of anti numbers. It fills in the gaps that statistics can't cover. You can't assign a number to personality.

That's what makes it a roleplaying game over just roleplaying. You break down your character into an arbitrary set of numbers to make possible game mechanics with which to experince whatever the rpg in question aims for - which, in most cases, is action or adventure. In an rpg centered around (to make an easy example) relationships you could very easily make those arbitrary numbers about personality, but in most games like DnD and it's spawn it's more important for the intended game experience whether your character can swing a sword at the dragon or swing over the helldeep underground ravine than whether he becomes passive aggressive or clams up when he feels insulted and what kind of music he enjoys dancing to the most. Because the focus is on the adventuring, the actual character of the character is completely up to the player to play without direct interaction with the game mechanics.

Erh. I kind of lost my thread there. What I mean is that in an RPG, the numbers play aren't "anti-roleplay", they are just as much roleplay as the unnumbered play. Your numbers should reflect the character as closely as possible to make this mesh well.
Love, scriver~

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31879 on: January 21, 2014, 04:28:31 pm »

Some inconsiderate fucking workers out in the street decided it's perfectly okay to use chainsaws and a woodchipper at 7:20AM.
I WANTED TO SLEEP IN TODAY DAMNIT
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Kadzar

• Bay Watcher
  • Descan Pengwind
    • View Profile
« Reply #31880 on: January 21, 2014, 04:36:51 pm »

I use photobucket.

The only real complaint I have about it is that hey want to compress the bejeebus out anything you upload if it isn't in an already highly packed form, meaning if you try to upload a raw, or a packed bmp file, they will "conveniently" make it into a jpeg for you.

If you want a lossless image, you have to use png. Even then I wonder about them.

Photobucket is insanely easy to use, and even has mobile aps for doing exactly that. You can hotlink images as well. My avatar is hosted at my photobucket, for instance.
And it also replaces your photo with one saying you've used up your bandwidth and need to upgrade if it gets too many views in a month.
What if the earth is just a knick in one of the infinite swords of the mighty fractal bear?
Glory to Arstotzka!

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #31881 on: January 21, 2014, 07:00:55 pm »

I'm getting pretty annoyed at the slowdowns on this forum today.  >:(
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #31882 on: January 22, 2014, 12:33:13 am »

Stupid iTunes. It really doesn't have to be this complicated. It really doesn't. JUST LET ME ADD THESE SONGS AND PUT THEM WHERE I WANT.
EDIT: JUST LET ME CHANGE THE STUPID GENRE FOR ALL OF THEM. THIS IS SO STUPID. WHY MUST YOU DO THIS APPLE.
EDIT2: IT DOESN'T EVEN SERVE ANY CONCEIVABLE PURPOSE. They don't want you to change the name? That makes sense. The artist? So does that. The album? THAT ALSO MAKES SENSE. BUT WHY WON'T THEY LET ME CHANGE THE GENRE WITHOUT JUMPING THROUGH STUPID HOOPS.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2014, 12:44:19 am by lemon10 »
And with a mighty leap, the evil Conservative flies through the window, escaping our heroes once again!
Because the solution to not being able to control your dakka is MOAR DAKKA.

That's it. We've finally crossed over and become the nation of Da Orky Boyz.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #31883 on: January 22, 2014, 12:42:44 am »

My big gripe with Photobucket is that some plugin I have breaks the site's functionality entirely. The only images on Photobucket that I'm capable of viewing are embedded on other pages, and it seems to be impossible for me to open the image directly, for reasons that are a mystery to me.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31884 on: January 22, 2014, 12:46:56 am »

-7f/-22C. The temperature is too damn low!

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #31885 on: January 22, 2014, 12:53:36 am »

Ha ha ha. It's 66F outside. At midnight. In janurary. In the northern hemisphere.

I would trade you. I would trade you so fast. I don't even care that that's notably colder than I prefer it. Give, damnit. Get outside, stick a giant ass fan on your roof, and point that thing toward florida.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Iceblaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 50% less in-jokes!
    • View Profile
« Reply #31886 on: January 22, 2014, 12:54:52 am »

Well fuck.

My glasses have decided to dissapear in my bedroom and no matter how hard I look they're done. Only good news is that they couldn't have left the room without outside help.

Stuebi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31887 on: January 22, 2014, 12:59:50 am »

Well, oddly enough i've never had a problem with "by the numbers" from Pen and Paper or Tabletop, because I can see the connection and reasoning there. Leo explained it pretty well, there's stuff that I think should be handled by the Player based on his thought process, clever thinking and general skill, and not "Roll dice to see if you were dumb enough to forget that rope."

We had a Shadowrun Session not too long ago where my group finished its first mission. It included a pretty big shooting in a store, and I outright forgot to bring a mask or conceal my Character in any way should anything like that happen, which led to witnesses providing the authorities with phantom pictures and a description. Evereything else went over nicely tough, because I was well equipped and my Character is very combat focused.

There's still _some_ stuff that weirds me out tough. I will try out DSA - Das schwarze Auge ("The Black Eye" in English) soon, and my mate explained that there are indeed "personality traits"-Characters have, which you roll on in certain situations. If your Char has the trait "irascible" for example, the DM might make you do a roll if your Character gets furious in certain situations. I find that weird, I usually have a pretty good grasp on my Characters mental state and his reaction to situations, so rolling on stuff like this seems odd.
English isnt my mother language, so feel free to correct me if I make a mistake in my post.

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #31888 on: January 22, 2014, 01:20:02 am »

For social rules, you can be sneaky and give the rule to the NPCs. For example, let's say the NPC rolls 2d6 to determine how much he likes you - a reaction roll - and low is bad and high is good. Your Charisma gives a modifier.

But let's say being irascible means you have a reaction roll penalty. It's not that the DM is telling you to be irascible, but that the NPC perceives your manner as more irascible than it otherwise would be.

Another way to do it is if the DM gives you some bonus if you screw yourself out of something by roleplaying your faults. If being irascible means you don't get the governor to issue a warrant you wanted, then you get bonuses to some other rolls later. You can be NOT irascible, but it means you miss out on a nice bonus.

Yet another would be giving a bonus from some NPC personality types and a penalty from others if you approach in a certain manner. The player needs to decide what he thinks the NPC's personality is like from the DM's description, and roleplay the right approach - again, from the NPC's perspective. We already do this - you don't play it haughty to the king, you don't play it servile to the kobolds.
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned
Haunter of Birthday Cakes, Bearded Hamburger, Intensely Off-Topic

Stuebi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31889 on: January 22, 2014, 01:34:12 am »

For social rules, you can be sneaky and give the rule to the NPCs. For example, let's say the NPC rolls 2d6 to determine how much he likes you - a reaction roll - and low is bad and high is good. Your Charisma gives a modifier.

But let's say being irascible means you have a reaction roll penalty. It's not that the DM is telling you to be irascible, but that the NPC perceives your manner as more irascible than it otherwise would be.

Another way to do it is if the DM gives you some bonus if you screw yourself out of something by roleplaying your faults. If being irascible means you don't get the governor to issue a warrant you wanted, then you get bonuses to some other rolls later. You can be NOT irascible, but it means you miss out on a nice bonus.

Yet another would be giving a bonus from some NPC personality types and a penalty from others if you approach in a certain manner. The player needs to decide what he thinks the NPC's personality is like from the DM's description, and roleplay the right approach - again, from the NPC's perspective. We already do this - you don't play it haughty to the king, you don't play it servile to the kobolds.

All of those sound like reasonable approaches. And its definetly fine with stuff like convincing or making friends. Im totally used to roll when haggling with a shopkeeper, or flirting with the Governors daughter. And I can see penaltys or bonuses appllied there.

General Roleplaying is the problem for me. I dont see much point in designing and fleshing out a Character if you then just roll his reaction to everything. Granted, its probably not _that_ bad and maybe im not grasping the concept entirely. But the examples that I saw included stuff like:

"One of your Party Members wants to collect the Bones of the Skeleton you just defeated, roll to see if your "superstitious" trait causes your Character to freak out over it."

I think that should be a player made decision, and not a roll. I created that character, shouldnt I be able to decide if this stuff is cause for concern for my toon or not?
English isnt my mother language, so feel free to correct me if I make a mistake in my post.
Pages: 1 ... 2124 2125 [2126] 2127 2128 ... 3345