Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2176 2177 [2178] 2179 2180 ... 3345

Author Topic: Things that made you RRRRRRAAAAGGGGEEEE today: Trust-o-nomics Edition  (Read 3426902 times)

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you RRRAAAAGGGGEEEE today: SON OF A BROWSER! Edition
« Reply #32655 on: February 15, 2014, 07:21:48 pm »

I think I may have you guys beat. One time, I responded to an add to be a salesmen for jacuzzis out of a store front. Easy gig right? Someone wanting to buy a jacuzzi is already prepared to spend money.

I show up to orientation and it's them pitching 20 people sitting in a room on selling air purifiers door to door. No mention whatsoever of the advertised position. I hung out for an hour and vocally punched fist-sized holes in their sales pitch in front of everyone. (Would repeatedly ask "How much does it cost?") every 5 minutes, because they wouldn't tell us until we came back tomorrow. (Answer, about $800.) I got in my car and left at the first available break.

They tried to get you to sell air purifiers, or they were trying to sell them to you? :S

It looks like they were looking for door-to-door salespeople.

Though in my experience, it's actually a combination of both. The people working that type of job have to pay for their own demonstration tools. I almost ended up going door to door selling knives for a company until they told me I would have to drop several hundred dollars just to get the knives I would be showing off to customers.

E: Ninja'd by a minute. Though it wasn't the worst 'interview' I've had to sit through. Pyramid companies are ready to hire anyone. My worst was a group interview, with one person interviewing four people at the same time.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2014, 07:23:47 pm by BlackFlyme »

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #32656 on: February 15, 2014, 07:52:16 pm »

"Now for the real test. How committed are you to getting this job? There's one pencil sitting on my desk. Whoever hasn't bled out or been crippled at the end of five minutes gets the job. Good luck!"
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32657 on: February 15, 2014, 08:20:28 pm »

"Now for the real test. How committed are you to getting this job? There's one pencil sitting on my desk. Whoever hasn't bled out or been crippled at the end of five minutes gets the job. Good luck!"
Everyone who actually goes for the pencil is docked 15 Arbitrary Score Units.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32658 on: February 15, 2014, 08:32:57 pm »

Everyone who actually goes for the pencil is awarded 15 Arbitrary Score Units.

Fix'd.

I'm not convinced that the interviewer was too experienced in interviewing. Either that or he just didn't care. Whenever he asked a question everyone just yelled over each other trying to get heard.

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #32659 on: February 15, 2014, 09:31:21 pm »

I almost ended up going door to door selling knives for a company until they told me I would have to drop several hundred dollars just to get the knives I would be showing off to customers.

Vector Marketing?  Had an experience with them about a decade ago.  Didn't fall for it, fortunately.

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32660 on: February 15, 2014, 09:36:59 pm »

I almost ended up going door to door selling knives for a company until they told me I would have to drop several hundred dollars just to get the knives I would be showing off to customers.

Vector Marketing?  Had an experience with them about a decade ago.  Didn't fall for it, fortunately.

Yeah, it was Cutco, which is a part of Vector Marketing. The shear absurdity of going door-to-door to try and hawk knives at people is what stopped me from actually bothering to work for them.

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32661 on: February 15, 2014, 09:41:29 pm »

I had a friend almost be recruited by them some time back, I was sitting on her couch when she did the phone interview (the only convenient time for her to do it was just before we were going out to see a movie), I knew something was up when the interview sounded way more like a sales pitch. She was asked absolutely no questions about herself or her qualifications, all while being told she could work whatever hours she wanted, or even no hours at all.

It was only when she looked them up online later on that she realized they were a pyramid scheme.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #32662 on: February 15, 2014, 09:50:13 pm »

To be fair, their product isn't bad. The knives are actually pretty decent. (Had a brother and a neighbor both get roped into it. Cutco tends to target younger people who don't have the life experience to know a rigged deal when they see one.) But their method are, ultimately, shady.

Also, guy in Florida guilty on 3 of 4 counts, including 2nd-degree murder. Good enough for me.

Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32663 on: February 15, 2014, 10:05:23 pm »

When I went to their recruitment seminar, it was like being in the audience for an infomercial. The only things asked in the actual interview stage were just basic questions, nothing really pertaining to experience or skill. The lady presenting the products gave demonstrations on quite a few of them though. Cut pennies in half, that sort of thing.

The products are good, but the company is shady. It's a bit humorous when she tried to explain how the company operated though.

"For every demonstration you give, you get [X amount of dollars], but for every sale you get [X-percentage], with the rest going to the person you report to." Who then has to give X-percentage of everything they make to the person above them, and so-on-and-so-forth.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #32664 on: February 15, 2014, 10:10:27 pm »

Wow, a business with a pyramid-like hierarchy! What a wonderful idea! Surprised nobody's thought of it. It could benefit everyone! I should totally become a scam artist :P

kaenneth

• Bay Watcher
  • Catching fish
    • View Profile
    • Terrible Web Site
« Reply #32665 on: February 15, 2014, 10:25:59 pm »

Got a letter late last year from my HMO that I would be automatically migrated to an different plan for the ACA, and I didn't have to do anything if I wanted that to happen.

Got a letter today that I'm supposed to give to my new insurance provider as proof I was previously insured...

?

My insurance seems to have dropped me without any notification, I can even log onto their website, make appointments, request refills, etc. But I don't seem to have any actual insurance plan; or any notification of a change/drop occurring.

So on Monday, I shall call them, and ask them why I'm calling them, if I supposedly didn't have to do anything as their letter indicated.
Quote from: Karnewarrior
Jeeze. Any time I want to be sigged I may as well just post in this thread.
Quote from: Darvi
That is an application of trigonometry that never occurred to me.
Quote from: PTTG??
I'm getting cake.
Don't tell anyone that you can see their shadows. If they hear you telling anyone, if you let them know that you know of them, they will get you.

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #32666 on: February 16, 2014, 04:49:46 am »

Thank you Sizzler for the additional stress on top of a week that's already nearly given me a heart attack. I've called them over and over again, had two interviews, talked to at least three managers over the phone, and I still have no idea if I've got a job or not. It's been three weeks since I applied. This is for a position washing dishes.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32667 on: February 16, 2014, 07:04:32 am »

Fix'd.
No, you don't want people who go for the obvious and pre-existing options. You want people who make up their own rules.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #32668 on: February 16, 2014, 08:05:21 am »

Fix'd.
No, you don't want people who go for the obvious and pre-existing options. You want people who make up their own rules.

The solution, obviously, it to persuade everyone not to do anything at all. That way no-one bleeds and everyone gets the job.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32669 on: February 16, 2014, 08:24:29 am »

Ye Zod, how I hate direct sales companies. Not only is it a shit job with inconsistent pay, but all of their practices are as shady as it gets.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting
Pages: 1 ... 2176 2177 [2178] 2179 2180 ... 3345