Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2181 2182 [2183] 2184 2185 ... 3345

Author Topic: Things that made you RRRRRRAAAAGGGGEEEE today: Trust-o-nomics Edition  (Read 3436025 times)

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you RRRAAAAGGGGEEEE today: SON OF A BROWSER! Edition
« Reply #32730 on: February 18, 2014, 11:48:19 am »

Indoor cats or outdoor cats? I find indoor only cats to be unbearably neurotic.

Yep, going to guess that's the problem.  They're indoor only because the neighborhood isn't the safest for outdoor cats (dogs and cars very close by).  I'm almost to the point of letting them stay outside anyway because I'll lose my mind otherwise.

Again though, what I don't get is that my parents have several cats in their house that are indoor exclusively and they don't do this.  My brother also has two indoor cats in an even smaller house and they don't do crazy stuff either (as far as I know).

... have you considered a space heater for that storage room, if the cold is an issue? Or just some nice thick blankets or somethin' (... are electric blankets still a thing?). Cats are pretty resistant to the whole cold thing anyway, so it wouldn't take much.

Briefly considered it.  The cold sucks, but overall I don't worry that much about it.  I'm more worried about their psychological health from being locked in a relatively small room for 8ish hours at a time, now that I really think about it.  Especially since one of them is already borderline psychotic about being away from me.   :-\
Through pain, I find wisdom.

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
  • Trans fucking rights, baby.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32731 on: February 18, 2014, 11:53:30 am »

We're studying genetics in science (alleles, etc.) and every. single. time. someone says the words 'homozygous' and 'sexual (or asexual) reproduction', as well as 'sex cells' or 'sexes', at least five kids giggle like kindergarteners.
I hate it so, so much.
Black lives matter.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #32732 on: February 18, 2014, 11:55:11 am »

* kaijyuu tee-hees.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32733 on: February 18, 2014, 11:56:23 am »

AUCHIDJXBCISKSBCHDOMSBXHFIDJZBXXUIZJX
Black lives matter.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #32734 on: February 18, 2014, 11:56:47 am »

hur hur, he said teh sexes.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #32735 on: February 18, 2014, 11:57:09 am »

Get them to say "homo sex cells (sells)" and then laugh at them for being morons.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32736 on: February 18, 2014, 11:58:18 am »

I shall try!
Tomorrow!
In science class!
Black lives matter.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #32737 on: February 18, 2014, 11:59:05 am »

One thing they lie to you about is that as you get older, "childish" humor never actually stops being funny. Just last night I was making fart noises with my father-in-law :P
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32738 on: February 18, 2014, 12:02:11 pm »

Well they can laugh about it, it just bothers me that this happens.

"~~~... advantages of asexual repr-" "HAHEHEHAHEHHSAHHSEH" "-oduction is that...~~~"

"~~~... one sex cell-" "HEHAHEHHAHEHSHFFHJSBCJDKCJDO" "-contains half of the chromosomes and the other...~~~"
Black lives matter.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #32739 on: February 18, 2014, 12:06:28 pm »

I dunno, man. I've become a grim, grumpy old man in my advanced age. I no longer laugh at such things.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #32740 on: February 18, 2014, 12:14:21 pm »

Admittedly, life isn't nice to us all :( It can make some people cynical and humorless.

* kaijyuu hugs

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #32741 on: February 18, 2014, 12:39:13 pm »

Indoor cats or outdoor cats? I find indoor only cats to be unbearably neurotic.

Yep, going to guess that's the problem.  They're indoor only because the neighborhood isn't the safest for outdoor cats (dogs and cars very close by).  I'm almost to the point of letting them stay outside anyway because I'll lose my mind otherwise.

Again though, what I don't get is that my parents have several cats in their house that are indoor exclusively and they don't do this.  My brother also has two indoor cats in an even smaller house and they don't do crazy stuff either (as far as I know).

... have you considered a space heater for that storage room, if the cold is an issue? Or just some nice thick blankets or somethin' (... are electric blankets still a thing?). Cats are pretty resistant to the whole cold thing anyway, so it wouldn't take much.

Briefly considered it.  The cold sucks, but overall I don't worry that much about it.  I'm more worried about their psychological health from being locked in a relatively small room for 8ish hours at a time, now that I really think about it.  Especially since one of them is already borderline psychotic about being away from me.   :-\

It's hard to say. For example, I have two outdoor cats. We had to move into an hotel in the middle of a busy business district for about 6 months. So the cats spent that time in a space about the size of a living room and two bedrooms. They went nuts. It started a whole trend of them vocalizing everything. They'd spend all day in front of their food bowls, begging to be fed because they had nothing else to do. They whined at the door incessantly.

When we moved back to the house, a surprising number of these behaviors did not go away. For example, my cats now believe that if they can't see their food, there is none. So they'll get fed, and then 20 minutes later stand at the door to the basement where their food bowls are and whine, convinced there's no food. They'll sit at the door to the outside and whine, go out for 5 minutes, come back in, and then want go back out again.

So I can't really explain what makes some indoor cats bearable while others become a nuisance, other than it probably has to do with prior experiences. Did anyone ever have a habit of locking the cats up in a room or leaving them alone for long periods of time? That can lead to some separation anxiety, especially if they don't have the outdoors to distract them.

Personally, I've come to accept the risk of letting cats outdoors. I've lost two cats in the neighborhood to overzealous dogs, and yet, I'd still prefer that to them living caged and slowly going insane. Plus, the longer they've been inside before going outside, the more likely it is they won't stray far from home.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Mr. Strange

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32742 on: February 18, 2014, 01:03:17 pm »

Admittedly, life isn't nice to us all :( It can make some people cynical and humorless.
And some people develop cynical humor.
Then you get cities like Paris where you should basically just kill yourself already.

You won’t have to think anymore: it’ll be just like having fun!

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #32743 on: February 18, 2014, 03:43:52 pm »

It's hard to say. For example, I have two outdoor cats. We had to move into an hotel in the middle of a busy business district for about 6 months. So the cats spent that time in a space about the size of a living room and two bedrooms. They went nuts. It started a whole trend of them vocalizing everything. They'd spend all day in front of their food bowls, begging to be fed because they had nothing else to do. They whined at the door incessantly.

When we moved back to the house, a surprising number of these behaviors did not go away. For example, my cats now believe that if they can't see their food, there is none. So they'll get fed, and then 20 minutes later stand at the door to the basement where their food bowls are and whine, convinced there's no food. They'll sit at the door to the outside and whine, go out for 5 minutes, come back in, and then want go back out again.

So I can't really explain what makes some indoor cats bearable while others become a nuisance, other than it probably has to do with prior experiences. Did anyone ever have a habit of locking the cats up in a room or leaving them alone for long periods of time? That can lead to some separation anxiety, especially if they don't have the outdoors to distract them.

Personally, I've come to accept the risk of letting cats outdoors. I've lost two cats in the neighborhood to overzealous dogs, and yet, I'd still prefer that to them living caged and slowly going insane. Plus, the longer they've been inside before going outside, the more likely it is they won't stray far from home.

They've never been locked up habitually, no.  Just twice for a few hours months apart.  However, I do leave them together alone in the house overnight about once a week (leave one afternoon and come back the next).  I was initially worried that might screw them up, but they seemed to take it just fine.  After being happy to see me for a few minutes, they'd go back to being normal.

The two of them have always been together, so their experiences should match.  This provides some evidence for nature over nurture I guess, since one is laid back and the other anxious all of the time.  They were born outside cats and stayed with their mother until they were a few months old, but I'm not sure on the specifics.  I was worried that alone might cause problems, but they seemed to adjust easily enough.  I try to give them enough toys and interaction, but more than likely I'm not giving them enough.

So, I guess it's probably a combination of things and probably at least partly my fault.   :-\

Gah.  I don't see any good coming of this.  I'm pretty convinced I can't keep them inside all of the time anymore, particularly at night when I'm trying to sleep.  So now I've got to figure out what to do with them.  I bet that they won't be happy outside either if I'm not there.  Part of me really feels like I should ask if I can just give them back to my parents and let them live outside where they came from, but I can hear my mom already...
Through pain, I find wisdom.

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #32744 on: February 18, 2014, 04:11:22 pm »

Went on vacation. Various travails ensued:

Get halfway there, hotel in Portland. The roads in Portland are all one-way and stupid. Driving is a challenge. I'm sure, like rats in a deathmaze, anyone who grew up there endures without complaint and may even find it normal.

Next morning, Powell's Books is a city block of half new books, half used books. In my opinion Half Price Books has it right with a 90-10 mix with the new book minority segregated in aisle-ends and tables. But they've begun pricing all their RPG materials at collector's prices, and ignoring shabbiness of cover and writing in the pages. Despite my bibliophilia I purchase nothing. This comes after visiting a half dozen bookstores in the past week in which I'm also disappointed by the newness/full-priceness, and lack of selection.

Girlfriend buys these restaurant.com discount things, but the restaurant we go to refuses to honor it because it's a holiday (Valentines') even though no such restriction is listed on the printout.

Arrive at Seaside, OR, find that it's raining horizontally. Children are blowing across the beach, their flesh stripped by abrasion by driftwood logs and the scouring sand.

The hotel bed is, as usual, very hard and the pillows are way too thick. Hotel staff manages to find reasonably thin pillows in the laundry room.

Try to get room service, find that while the menu says hollandaise sauce they in fact have none. Decide to go out to eat instead. This works out well, and of course they take our discount tickets. Pfft.

Visit an antique mall. For those not in the know, it's where an old lady brings a ton of crap and rents a stall, but she's not there: the front desk handles purchases and passes the money on to the seller later. As is almost universal with antique malls specifically and shops in resort towns in general, the bathroom is not for customer use. My deductive reasoning and spatial sense tells me where the bathroom is. They just don't want people to use it. Except the lady they allow to use it. Girlfriend needs to use the restroom: we ask where the nearest one is in a passive-agressive attempt to get them to let us use theirs. Nope, visitor center 200 yards away. Fine. Go outside: it's like a rainy version of the Fellowship crossing the Misty Mountains. Hail strikes our faces and the wind forces rain into the depths of my ear. We make it there and back, completely soaked. We enter the antique mall and are half-assedly offered a paper towel. The front desk lady makes a snide remark about how tough it is to get to the bathroom in this weather. We leave to get back to our room and dry off. Girlfriend wants to return despite the shitty customer service because there's an inexpensive gold necklace she likes.

Return the next day. Less rain. Girlfriend asks the desk lady to open the case with the necklace. I finish my walkthrough of the mall, finding nothing interesting (as expected), but girlfriend approaches grimacing. Needs to use the restroom again. THIS time, when she tells the lady at the counter she'll be right back, counter-lady's eyes glow with the thought of a sale and she offers to let her use their restroom. "It's not up to code" she explains, although I believe if it's not up to code then it doesn't matter whether customers use it or not: your employees use it, you heartless crone! You just don't want to pay for people flushing and using toilet paper! End up leaving without buying the necklace. Hah! I can hear her seething.

Find out someone in the hotel parking lot hit the back of our car and drove away while we were gone. Insurance has a $500 deductible and girlfriend is unwilling to just let it go unfixed.

THIS IS MY PRIMARY GRIPE ABOUT CARS. YOU NEED TO HAVE A METAL BUMPER THAT LOOKS LIKE SHIT. I am so goddamned sick and tired of seeing cars with fragile plastic bumpers that get cracked and need a $500-$1500 replacement. That is bullshit. It is as the shit of the bull. As a culture, as a civilization, we need to demand wraparound metal bumpers that we accept will look banged up and scraped, and never need replacement.

Police report, insurance claim, etc.

The rest of the trip, including food, was fine. But the weather never really let up and it was dismal and we're never going to Seaside again. All further trips will be flights to California or Florida.
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned
Haunter of Birthday Cakes, Bearded Hamburger, Intensely Off-Topic
Pages: 1 ... 2181 2182 [2183] 2184 2185 ... 3345