Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2204 2205 [2206] 2207 2208 ... 3345

Author Topic: Things that made you RRRRRRAAAAGGGGEEEE today: Trust-o-nomics Edition  (Read 3425527 times)

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you RRRAAAAGGGGEEEE today: Friendship is Shanking Edition
« Reply #33075 on: February 27, 2014, 12:14:37 pm »

I can no longer upload things to imageshack without paying them money.

JUST SHOW ME THE DAMN ADVERTISEMENTS FOR VACATIONS I CAN'T HAVE, VACUUMS I DON'T NEED, AND WEIGHT LOSS PILLS I DON'T WANT. STOP TRYING TO TAKE MY MONEY.
Looks like Imageshack skipped the lesson on how market competition works.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #33076 on: February 27, 2014, 12:32:15 pm »

So I bumped into a car while on the parking lot today. It was raining, the lot was cramped and I was trying to rear out onto the road to let another car out of the lot before parking the car. I was looking at the road behind me to see wether or not I could back out, and didn't notice my rear left bumper hit a parked jeep. Now there was little to no damage since I was going slowly, stopped immediately and most probably hit the tire that was sticking out and not the body itself.

Now the pissing off part is my father instantly exploding into shouting and rage, me panicking to get out of the way of the car that was still waiting for me to move, nearly scraping another car, getting raged at again, raging back at him and finally getting out of the damn car before I punch something because holy shit that is no way to react.

Luckily my dad knew the guy, and as said the damage was non-existant (or atleast non-apparent in the rain) so there wasn't much trouble. Still, that didn't save me from an attempted lecture, but I was angry enough to just tell him to shut up, and he actually fucking listened, so that's a first.
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #33077 on: February 27, 2014, 12:44:40 pm »

Oh man the absolute worst thing for me is when your passenger grabs some control on the car other than the little console in the middle for the radio and the AC. Like if a car almost hits you and you're just trying to avoid it, and your passenger thinks you should have honked, so she leans over and sticks her hand through and honks and you're sitting there like WTF WOMAN.
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned
Haunter of Birthday Cakes, Bearded Hamburger, Intensely Off-Topic

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #33078 on: February 27, 2014, 12:51:13 pm »

Yes, those people deserve a throatpunch. If you don't consider me competent enough to drive properly and safely, why the fuck did you let me drive in the first place then?!?

Also, and this is my dad to the letter. People who narrate your driving. Like, you're going to turn left now, and they tell you that you should turn your indicator. Or you're slowing down and they tell you to shift into a lower gear. Again, if you consider me incompetent enough that you need to tell me every single goddamned thing that I need to do in order to drive perfectly by your standards, why the fuck did you let me drive in the first place?

Furthermore, how fucking retarded do you consider me when you continually do that? I PASSED THE FUCKING DRIVING TEST WITH FLYING FUCKING COLOURS I KNOW HOW TO GODDAMNED DRIVE!!!!!!
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #33079 on: February 27, 2014, 12:55:03 pm »

Oh man the absolute worst thing for me is when your passenger grabs some control on the car other than the little console in the middle for the radio and the AC. Like if a car almost hits you and you're just trying to avoid it, and your passenger thinks you should have honked, so she leans over and sticks her hand through and honks and you're sitting there like WTF WOMAN.

I feel as if this statement started out very general and ended up particularly specific.
Love, scriver~

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33080 on: February 27, 2014, 01:14:34 pm »

That sounds kind of illegal. And by 'kind of' I mean 'absolutely'.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #33081 on: February 27, 2014, 01:23:02 pm »

Depending on the jurisdiction there are a lot of things she does that would be illegal. But I guess that's true for all of us. *Sigh*
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #33082 on: February 27, 2014, 02:53:04 pm »

So. I found a book. Called No Survival in Numbers. It's apparently a book about a mall in which they find a bio-bomb and they have to quarantine it, told from the POV of four teens trapped inside. Seems like a good idea.

And then the book tries to be... Up to date, let's call it that. One of the guys has an EVE online account in his Alienware laptop, a girl's mom tells her she needs friends other than that guy she plays Minecraft with, etc.

And then it fails so badly.
Apparently, a the same girl mentioned before "hacks the firewall" in what appears to be less than thirty minutes, then she "hacks the internet" and it gives her "good information". She's also into animations and movie designing, apparently able to (from what I could make in the books context) make a wiremesh for an actual real live person in less than a day. One of her thoughts: "It was one thing somethingsomething, but another algorithm entirely to somethingsomething.

I literally opened the book, began reading, and came along something in the lines of "Marco had learned the techniques of survival. They where, if every time someone bothered you, you fired back a sarcastic, screw-you response, you'd be left alone" and closed it.

Anyways, sorry if I offended anyone, or I messed up somewhere.
A bit late, but I know of one book that handles being "up-to-date" VERY well. It's called Black-Out, written by some German guy. The main character (well, one of the main characters) is a former grey-hat hacker. I promise you that you won't cringe, even if you're really well-informed about computer security.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #33083 on: February 27, 2014, 03:01:48 pm »

The best thing we can hope for is that we will read a book and not cringe. Oh where are our modern literary masters? What living Daedalus will furnish us with flights of wonder?
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #33084 on: February 27, 2014, 03:02:50 pm »

Terry Pratchett :v
Also Harlan Coben makes good thrillers.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #33085 on: February 27, 2014, 03:21:12 pm »

The best thing we can hope for is that we will read a book and not cringe. Oh where are our modern literary masters? What living Daedalus will furnish us with flights of wonder?
There's dozens of them, all over the place, in all sorts of languages, both mimicking the masters of past and forging their own styles. We have our thousand monkeys and our thousand typewriters, and that is but a fraction of all our typing simians.

They're just hard to find. Lot of stuff out there. Have to do other things than filter through piles upon piles of work. Like sleep, eat... that sort of thing.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #33086 on: February 27, 2014, 03:25:08 pm »

I know, right? I just feel discouraged when I pick up 20 books and they're all crap. But I guess there were always people writing crap. Reader's Digest has been going for nearly 100 years.
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #33087 on: February 27, 2014, 03:34:57 pm »

You guys read books?
You're supposed to buy them to look fancy.

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #33088 on: February 27, 2014, 03:35:50 pm »

I buy my books by the yard, thank you.

EDIT: Oh my god they are selling to idiots. Here is copy from the site:

Because of the differences in sizes of various book formats, it is impossible to estimate the exact number of books per box. Not sure how many books you need? Our rule of thumb is: Measure the amount of display space you would like to decorate with books. Take the number of linear feet and divide by three. This will give you the approximate number of boxes of Books By The Yard that you will need.

So basically I need one yard of books per yard of shelf length? HOT POOP THANK YOU FOR THAT WISDOM
« Last Edit: February 27, 2014, 03:37:42 pm by LeoLeonardoIII »
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #33089 on: February 27, 2014, 03:48:24 pm »

... I'm not sure whether to be enthralled or disgusted by the existence of such a business. I don't know how I feel about this. Part of me thinks they're degrading literature by making it a decoration. Another part of me thinks they're essentially selling literature booster packs, which is an idea I want to throw money at because sometimes I want to read things without knowing what I want to read.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.
Pages: 1 ... 2204 2205 [2206] 2207 2208 ... 3345