Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2224 2225 [2226] 2227 2228 ... 3345

Author Topic: Things that made you RRRRRRAAAAGGGGEEEE today: Trust-o-nomics Edition  (Read 3428452 times)

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you RRRAAAAGGGGEEEE today: Armed and Sleepy Edition
« Reply #33375 on: March 06, 2014, 10:27:02 pm »

I'm an optimist on a lot of things, but scientific advances I'm a bit skeptical on.

Where the hell is my flying car?
Here ya go.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #33376 on: March 06, 2014, 10:30:30 pm »

The issue with flying cars isn't about Science, its about regulation, safety, and logistics.
It's FEF, not FEOF

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33377 on: March 06, 2014, 10:31:08 pm »

The issue with flying cars isn't about Science, its about regulation, safety, and logistics.
Hear hear. Your average idiot can't drive in two dimensions, let alone three.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #33378 on: March 06, 2014, 10:33:44 pm »

In 250 years we can probably just hack genetics directly so the whole eugenics thing will be moot.
Yeah, I know. Any eugenics program would take centuries to have substantial (or even noticeable) results without modern technology and knowledge (at the very best, assuming that the program is objective and scientific and consistent over the entire time (which is in and of itself highly unlikley)).

But once you start to get modern technology and knowledge you quickly get to the point where its substantially slower then more direct methods (eg. gene-therapy and direct genetic engineering) making it almost completely obsolete, not to mention the massive ethical problems that every eugenics program have (eg. forced sterilization) that wouldn't exist in gene-therapy.
And with a mighty leap, the evil Conservative flies through the window, escaping our heroes once again!
Because the solution to not being able to control your dakka is MOAR DAKKA.

That's it. We've finally crossed over and become the nation of Da Orky Boyz.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #33379 on: March 06, 2014, 10:34:57 pm »

Hear hear. Your average idiot can't drive in two dimensions, let alone three.
Good thing I'm an even bigger idiot than your average idiot!

* kaijyuu goes to buy one.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #33380 on: March 06, 2014, 10:44:57 pm »

Measuring scientific progress by the invention of specific items put forth in speculative fiction is dumb, especially when you're doing so on a worldwide network of computers that contains most of the information known to mankind :I

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #33381 on: March 06, 2014, 10:47:59 pm »

Measuring scientific progress by the invention of specific items put forth in speculative fiction is dumb, especially when you're doing so on a worldwide network of computers that contains most of the information known to mankind :I
Your argument is invalidated by the fact most people use this massive interconnected network to tell their friends what they had for breakfast.
Or to conceal information, such as their true, canine identities.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #33382 on: March 06, 2014, 10:49:08 pm »

Your argument is invalidated by the fact most people use this massive interconnected network to tell their friends what they had for breakfast.
I could make a joke at the expense of furries but that would be mean.
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #33383 on: March 06, 2014, 10:50:11 pm »

That doesn't invalidate my argument, it strengthens it. This piece of extremely futuristic technology is as mundane to us as a light bulb. We're living in the goddamn future.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #33384 on: March 06, 2014, 10:50:19 pm »

Yeah. If someone told me that I could go into a Sci-Fi world and leave this one? I'd say no thank you, barring some special circumstances/world. Like if I could bring with me knowledge, such as knowledge of billions of interconnected personal computers...

I'd rather our information revolution than the various paradigm shifts of sci-fi, like space-flight or genetic engineering.

For the simple reason that with our information revolution, all that stuff and more is just that much easier and sooner to create~ :3

* Descan hugs everyone except Kaijyuu.
Who cares what most people use it for?
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #33385 on: March 06, 2014, 10:53:15 pm »

In seriousness, comparing things to sci-fi predictions is a bit more fair than you might expect, considering we're talking about things in the future we expect humanity to invent.

There's a long, long, long list of amazing wonders science has created. Most of those weren't expected. Meanwhile, all the expected inventions (flying cars, jetpacks, personal rocket ships, hoverboards (a lot of flying things really), mind control, easy genetic manipulation, AI, humanoid robots, etc) have but a few things that actually came to fruition.

* Descan hugs everyone except Kaijyuu.
* kaijyuu hugs Descan anyway.

SealyStar

• Bay Watcher
  • Gargoyles! Psychics!
    • View Profile
« Reply #33386 on: March 06, 2014, 10:53:23 pm »

And take pictures of what they had for breakfast with obnoxious faux-old fashioned filters.
Or to express their fake canine identities.
I assume it was about cod tendies and an austerity-caused crunch in the supply of good boy points.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #33387 on: March 07, 2014, 12:33:09 am »

There's a long, long, long list of amazing wonders science has created. Most of those weren't expected. Meanwhile, all the expected inventions (flying cars, jetpacks, personal rocket ships, hoverboards (a lot of flying things really), mind control, easy genetic manipulation, AI, humanoid robots, etc) have but a few things that actually came to fruition.
... we have flying cars (if not very good ones), jetpacks (see quality of cars), could have personal rocket ships if anyone was rich and flighty enough to build one, have indoctrination and nasty psych tricks out the wazoo (to say nothing of more subtle means of memetic influence~), have plenty of humanoid robots of varying levels of quality. AI and hoverboards aren't really here yet (and the latter might not actually come around), and genetic manipulation is fairly nascent, still, but... that's more checked off than not. More "expected inventions" have been hit, if perhaps not became ubiquitous, over the years than haven't. Many of the ones that either haven't been (hoverboards) or haven't became ubiquitous (flying cars, jetpacks), haven't due mostly because of the fact we've got something else that just works better (or, at least, is much less expensive and still works well enough).

S'just... sorry Kaij. We've been in sci-fi land for at least a good decade or two, now. We are also wizards. Even a small population of WIZARDS IN SPAAAACE *doodadoo*. That's just how good, on the net, we've become in the field of science and whatnot.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #33388 on: March 07, 2014, 12:37:39 am »

Well, you could argue that we technically have hoverboards. (It's basically a 5 ft x 5 ft platform with MASSIVE propellers on the bottom, they suck, and is impractical, but it exists.)
So really, we have everything.
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33389 on: March 07, 2014, 02:01:17 am »

Don't think for a moment I won't sacrifice both rationality and sanity for a few moments of memorability.
...I was going to post this in the OOC quotes thread, but it's great enough that I might just sig it.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.
Pages: 1 ... 2224 2225 [2226] 2227 2228 ... 3345