Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2225 2226 [2227] 2228 2229 ... 3345

Author Topic: Things that made you RRRRRRAAAAGGGGEEEE today: Trust-o-nomics Edition  (Read 3426859 times)

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you RRRAAAAGGGGEEEE today: Armed and Sleepy Edition
« Reply #33390 on: March 07, 2014, 10:25:44 am »

There's a long, long, long list of amazing wonders science has created. Most of those weren't expected. Meanwhile, all the expected inventions (flying cars, jetpacks, personal rocket ships, hoverboards (a lot of flying things really), mind control, easy genetic manipulation, AI, humanoid robots, etc) have but a few things that actually came to fruition.
... we have flying cars (if not very good ones), jetpacks (see quality of cars), could have personal rocket ships if anyone was rich and flighty enough to build one, have indoctrination and nasty psych tricks out the wazoo (to say nothing of more subtle means of memetic influence~), have plenty of humanoid robots of varying levels of quality. AI and hoverboards aren't really here yet (and the latter might not actually come around), and genetic manipulation is fairly nascent, still, but... that's more checked off than not. More "expected inventions" have been hit, if perhaps not became ubiquitous, over the years than haven't. Many of the ones that either haven't been (hoverboards) or haven't became ubiquitous (flying cars, jetpacks), haven't due mostly because of the fact we've got something else that just works better (or, at least, is much less expensive and still works well enough).

S'just... sorry Kaij. We've been in sci-fi land for at least a good decade or two, now. We are also wizards. Even a small population of WIZARDS IN SPAAAACE *doodadoo*. That's just how good, on the net, we've become in the field of science and whatnot.
Yeah I didn't really think shitty versions of those things counted. (shitty in this case meaning impractical, super expensive, doesn't actually work effectively, etc)

Anywho my main point isn't that we aren't in a sci fi universe. It's that we're not in this sci fi universe, and I'm equally doubtful the sci fi universe of tomorrow will be the one we envision today.

You can say "well they were right about some things, just not in the right way" all you want. That's not my point :P
« Last Edit: March 07, 2014, 10:27:40 am by kaijyuu »
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Knit tie

• Bay Watcher
  • Consider avatar too slim until end of diet.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33391 on: March 07, 2014, 10:52:18 am »

Right, the russian wolf ice axing.

I was in the 9th grade back then, which equates roughly to the freshman year in american terms, and one of the higher-ups in charge of education apparently had a blowjob from the good idea fairy, as our school was spontaneously ordered to take its students on a field trip "at least 75 km away from civilisation", in the middle of a winter, on a Saturday. So it's fair to say we were pretty angry before this trip even began.

Of course, our parents and teachers viewed this idea as the utter idiocy it was, but such is the power of government officials in provincial Russia that confronting him about it would've just injured his bloated pride and led to him using his authority make life very uncomfortable for everyone involved in the forseeable future, so we were stuck with having to go on a trip to literally nowhere on a weekend in a dingy bus. And calling that thing a "bus" gives it too much credit, frankly! You see, like most schools in Russia, our school had a vehicle of its own - a reliable, tough snub-nosed beast of soviet manufacturing that plowed through all the snow and grime on the roads with the determination of a tank, could take the worst quality fuel mankind has ever created with barely a sputtering and was perfectly happy with having jury-rigged parts in its engine that came out of a tractor. It was the absolute paragon of utility, requiring so little money for upkeep that it ran perfectly well even when the driver had a daughter born and started stealing from the repair budget so that he could feed her. The only problem with that rhinoceros of a machine was that it was obviously not designed to carry passengers. The inside of it was dark, cramped, devoid of fresh air and reeking of stale sweat, the seats had their pleather stretched over a frame of metal so angular and poorly designed that sitting hurt no matter what you shoved under your ass, the luggage compartments overhead were small enough to have bags falling out of them every fifteen of so minutes but big enough to make whoever was sitting under them bend his head and the entire thing constantly rocked back and forth while moving so that we had to hold onto each other for dear life or fall to the floor.

And so we were all stuffed into that "bus" in our most uncomfortable, multilayered winter outfits that were actually needed to keep us warm but made us sweat buckets in the already warm vehicle. The trip was largely uneventful as tortures go, but it lasted about three hours and by the time we came out of the vehicle in a mountaneous area near the lake Chistoe (meaning "clear") we were all staring in front of ourselves blankly and percieving reality as if trough a clouded lens, due to, in equal parts, heat exhaustion people invariably suffer when you put them in three puffer coats at once and then in a confined, warm space and the constant assault on our vestibular apparati that riding along unkempt russian countryside roads in a bus that already rocks violently by itself involves. According to the plan of our trip, we were supposed to have an organised hike across some hills while the teachers who were in charge of us told us about the geography and nature of the region, but what we actually did looked more like this, except instad of the ship we had backpacks stuffed with various survival gear we had no idea how to use due to not paying attention during the OBZh classes that were supposed to teach us that sort of thing and food for the day, which consisted mostly of chocolate and cookies our moms gave us.

At some point during this shambling migration I and three more guys whose names I never cared to remember became lost. When we looked around and noticed that it was just the four of us among the trees, we tried doing the most sensible thing and calling the group leader, but at it turned out, my and one other guy's mobile phones were out of charge, and the other two forgot to even pack theirs. We were genuinely stranded. We then decided to do the second  most sensible thing and build a bonfire. Now, when I say we had no idea how to use survival gear, I mean the fancy stuff like medkits and chemical torches - every province-born russian knows perfectly well how to make a fire with just a box of matches and an axe. We looked at who was carrying what, as different people were assigned different pieces of equipment, and as it turned out, the blond guy had a small hatchet and yours truly had a supply of dry fuel pellets and a very large gasoline lighter. The only problem we had was a lack of things to burn. We were in a forest, yes, but we all knew that it's very unlikely that a living, moisture-filled tree would catch fire from anything we had. We needed a dead and dry tree to burn first. And so I, being the shortest and least intimidating of us all and thus the easiest to force into performing manual labor, got the job of finding said tree and bringing chunks of it back. The blond guy gave me his hatchet and off I went, periodically shouting to let the guys know my location and getting shouts from them back. A suitable tree was found fairly quickly - an old fir uprooted by a hurricane - and I went to work chopping off its limbs.

And that's where the wolves came in. It was already dark and I worked by the light of a head-mounted flashlight when something caught my attention – a growl. Slowly, with my heart racing, I turned and found myself confronted by a wolf. It was, in retrospective, of average size and quite old, but in the light of my head-torch back then I saw the beast as gigantic and bound with muscles. I don’t know why this wolf was alone and growling at me, because usually they move in packs and avoid contact with humans, but perhaps this was a desperate, hungry outcaste. Acting on fear instead of reason, I threw my hatchet at the animal and it flew far and wide, causing the wolf to fidget a bit but not relent in the slightest. Without a weapon now, I fumbled desperately about myself in hopes of finding something heavy and realized that I, in fact, have a perfectly good ice axe hanging at my waist. The thing was quite heavy, made of steel instead of aluminum, and absolutely superfluous on out trip, as there were no steep slopes to climb, but our group leader insisted that we carry it on us at all times “just in case”, and so I strapped it to my coat (the outer one, it had a very nice set of adjustable loops) and eventually forgotten all about it. The wolf growled some more and moved closer. Exhaling, I took the heavy thing out and charged the animal with a battle cry that sounded, according to one of the guys, “like a cat being showed into a wood chipper, ass-first”, but the animal was nevertheless surprised by the ferocity of my onslaught and I struck the wolf in the head with my steel ice axe, tearing apart the muscle, shattering the skull and tearing apart the brain! The sharp point of the tool entered the beast’s head slightly above its right eye, causing the animal to expire instantly. After building the bonfire and promptly getting found, we took the animal’s carcass with us and my dad had it eventually made into a rug.

And that’s pretty much it.

EDIT: Kaijyuu, hoverboards might still come around, don't worry. Just because science says it's impossible right now doesn't mean it'll be impossible in 30 years or so. Radars were also once thought to be completely impossible. One of the funny things about groundbreaking inventions and discoveries is that you usually have no idea what they are until they actually occur, so antigravity might be fully possible, if unknown today.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2014, 11:11:08 am by Knit tie »

AlleeCat

• Bay Watcher
  • Black, the beast, descends from shadows...
    • View Profile
« Reply #33392 on: March 07, 2014, 11:06:22 am »

The issue with flying cars isn't about Science, its about regulation, safety, and logistics.
Hear hear. Your average idiot can't drive in two dimensions, let alone three.
Well there's also the issue of, say terrorism. When everyone has a flying car, everyone also has the ability to cause their own 9/11.

Measuring scientific progress by the invention of specific items put forth in speculative fiction is dumb, especially when you're doing so on a worldwide network of computers that contains most of the information known to mankind :I
Your argument is invalidated by the fact most people use this massive interconnected network to tell their friends what they had for breakfast.
Or to conceal information, such as their true, canine identities.
I could make a joke at the expense of furries but that would be mean.
Spoiler: Related (click to show/hide)

Well, you could argue that we technically have hoverboards. (It's basically a 5 ft x 5 ft platform with MASSIVE propellers on the bottom, they suck, and is impractical, but it exists.)
So really, we have everything.
We will have Back to the Future style hoverboards by December of this year.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33393 on: March 07, 2014, 11:08:11 am »

Shit, AC, how'd you get a photograph of my office?

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33394 on: March 07, 2014, 11:09:20 am »

Alleecat, you realize those hoverboards are fake, right?
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #33395 on: March 07, 2014, 11:09:40 am »

*snip*

Holy shit, paragraphs are your friend.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Knit tie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33396 on: March 07, 2014, 11:10:21 am »

*snip*

Sorry, I'll try to fix it.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #33397 on: March 07, 2014, 11:10:53 am »

One Notable Kill
One Wolf (♂) in Clearlake.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

SealyStar

• Bay Watcher
  • Gargoyles! Psychics!
    • View Profile
« Reply #33398 on: March 07, 2014, 11:12:50 am »

*snip*

Nah, it's funnier to read in huge rambling walls.
I assume it was about cod tendies and an austerity-caused crunch in the supply of good boy points.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #33399 on: March 07, 2014, 11:14:56 am »

-snip-
You write really well and had me on the edge of my seat worrying about you. ;-;
Good gods, in that kinds of scenario...
oh wow.
I believe the reaction on getting found and the trip back was...mundane? Apologies for asking but...I just can't believe that sort of school order >.>

*snip*

Nah, it's funnier to read in huge rambling walls.
Either way, it was an enthralling read. And very vivid, I might say (or maybe just me and my imagination)

Knit tie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33400 on: March 07, 2014, 11:20:53 am »

There was plenty of drama, of course, after we were found out, but who wants to hear about that? This is a story about how I killed a wolf, not about how our teacher verbally kicked seventeen colours of crap out of me.

As for the school order, well, you see, before we moved to St. Petersburgh my family lived in a small town called Shachty ("Mines", there are many of them) in Siberia and things are still very soviet back there. Meaning that when a guy in the city council thinks that people should spend their weekend cleaning streets, for example, everybody gets out and cleans the bloody streets, dammit!
« Last Edit: March 07, 2014, 11:26:19 am by Knit tie »

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #33401 on: March 07, 2014, 11:23:40 am »

One Notable Kill

Esner, in Dorfspeak.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #33402 on: March 07, 2014, 11:26:38 am »

One Notable Kill

Esner, in Dorfspeak.
Legends mode lists the location in English.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #33403 on: March 07, 2014, 11:28:04 am »

One Notable Kill

Esner, in Dorfspeak.
Legends mode lists the location in English.

I checked out of curiosity. Also, didn't play DF in way too long, but I'm going to wait for the release now.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Knit tie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33404 on: March 07, 2014, 11:32:28 am »

Really, you are making it sound much more difficult than it was. That was not the first time I got lost in the woods, and not the first time I was found via the smoke of a fire I made, either. What made that incident different was the wolf, and even then my life was in no serious danger - wolves never attack animals who stand still, meaning that I could've just ignored the beast and continued working on the tree until the wolf went away. But I was afraid, and attacked the animal.
Pages: 1 ... 2225 2226 [2227] 2228 2229 ... 3345