Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2234 2235 [2236] 2237 2238 ... 3345

Author Topic: Things that made you RRRRRRAAAAGGGGEEEE today: Trust-o-nomics Edition  (Read 3419279 times)

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you RRRAAAAGGGGEEEE today: Armed and Sleepy Edition
« Reply #33525 on: March 09, 2014, 04:01:45 am »

Still annoying to adjust sleep schedules by an hour, in either direction. Just mass confusion and sleep disruption, twice a year.
If I remember correctly, the original reason for implementing it was something to do with farms and daylight. Now that we're not really an agriculture-based society, it's not worth it.
Probably not farms really. I mean, farms didn't operate on strict shedules, the farmer got up when the sun roses, and slept when it went down.

Actually, Sumer time was first and has always been applied to save resources. First it was during the world war, trying to preserve coal. The last major wave was during the seventies oil crisis, when DST was implemented across much of Europe. Whether DST actually saves resources is unknown.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #33526 on: March 09, 2014, 04:43:57 am »

Apparently not having "Baby's Laughter" on your list of top ten sounds strips you of your humanity.

GG, mankind. Xantalos, do you need an intern?

I was going to phrase that "Do you have space for an intern?", before I realised that that would have other implications.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #33527 on: March 09, 2014, 04:46:22 am »

I have a herald position open. It's like the one with Galactus only you don't have to act pompous.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33528 on: March 09, 2014, 04:47:46 am »

Daylight Savings time is one of the largest-scale, most retarded pieces of pointless bullcrap ever. >:(
I refuse to have anything to do with it- if someone complains that I'm late because of their adherence to it, they can go jump off a cliff.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33529 on: March 09, 2014, 05:02:00 am »

I have a herald position open. It's like the one with Galactus only you don't have to act pompous.

Does it come with a dental plan? maybe some health coverage?

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #33530 on: March 09, 2014, 05:04:42 am »

Does it come with a dental plan? maybe some health coverage?
You get a share of the souls I consume. That generally covers everything.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33531 on: March 09, 2014, 09:04:12 am »

I have this weird... I dunno, habit? Quirk? That when I'm listening to a song, occasionally for whatever reason I'll remember something unpleasant, and then the song will become temporarily associated with said unpleasant memory, and then it will keep reminding me of it until I either successfully force the thought from my mind or change the song. :-\
I've noticed this for a long time. It's weird, and quite annoying when it's a song that I'm enjoying.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33532 on: March 09, 2014, 09:19:22 am »

Daylight Savings time is one of the largest-scale, most retarded pieces of pointless bullcrap ever. >:(
I refuse to have anything to do with it- if someone complains that I'm late because of their adherence to it, they can go jump off a cliff.
I just attribute our continued adherence to DST to the fact that politicians everywhere are morons.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Avis-Mergulus

• Bay Watcher
  • This adorable animal can't work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33533 on: March 09, 2014, 09:31:22 am »

Where I am, DST got cancelled a few years ago. We are soooo progressive and forward-thinking.
“See this Payam!” cried the gods, “He deceives us! He cruelly abuses our lustful hearts!”

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33534 on: March 09, 2014, 09:31:46 am »

Where I am, DST got cancelled a few years ago. We are soooo progressive and forward-thinking.
I am jelly. So very. Such grape. Wow.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #33535 on: March 09, 2014, 09:37:38 am »

... I guess I'm one of the terribly few people that aren't bothered by DST time shifts.

Probably because I tend to wake up 2-3 hours before I have to do anything anyway, so waking up at (what was) 4 isn't very different from waking up at 5. Or just waking up at six, because hell I'd still have an hour+ flex allotted. Not really losing sleep, just some prep time, at most.

And then you can go to sleep (relatively) earlier and it's all gooood. Not even losing sleep. Or prep time. Just an hour's shift in sleeping schedule, if that. Which... I guess is troublesome for... old people? I'unno.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Gunner-Chan

• Bay Watcher
  • << IT'S TIME >>
    • View Profile
« Reply #33536 on: March 09, 2014, 09:42:24 am »

An hour shift isn't a huge deal for nearly anyone even moderately healthy.  So I don't see the big deal either. I just went to sleep an hour earlier last night and everything is fine.
Diamonds are combustable, because they are made of Carbon.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33537 on: March 09, 2014, 09:43:32 am »

I'm bothered by it because I'm usually the last one to find out that time suddenly has shifted. Fucking time lord shenanigans.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #33538 on: March 09, 2014, 09:59:50 am »

It was something wrong with the .iso file that was provided for win7 standard.   Installing professional worked perfectly.
That is, it worked perfectly until I realized I had the "Write over existing data" box checked when installing ubuntu.   So that's why I'm not in the happy thread right now.   At least now I know both operating systems do workk, and it's just a matter of getting them to not murder each other over hard drive space.   

Ahh, oops. Could you use your Lubuntu USB drive/CD to boot up GParted, create a partition for Windows, pour Windows into the one and have Ubuntu fill a partition based on the largest empty space after that?

I've been futzing all day with partitions and installations and nonsense, so I guess I'm mostly trying to see if what I learned is right. I'm getting a headache just thinking about it, actually.
IIRC, Windows 7 obliterates any other bootloaders when it installs, so you need to install it first. That's what you're saying, anyway, but I just wanted to make that explicitly clear in the hopes of pre-empting later rage >_________>
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33539 on: March 09, 2014, 10:02:13 am »

I figured that's why Ubuntu doesn't work on my PC, but I'm too lazy to do anything about it.
Pages: 1 ... 2234 2235 [2236] 2237 2238 ... 3345