Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2235 2236 [2237] 2238 2239 ... 3326

Author Topic: Things that made you RRRRRRAAAAGGGGEEEE today: Trust-o-nomics Edition  (Read 2003534 times)

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you RRRAAAAGGGGEEEE today: Reflex Edition
« Reply #33540 on: March 17, 2014, 10:25:39 am »

Also I just generally dislike the concept of hiding behind religion this way. "It's not me, it's my religion!"

Unwanted indoctrination is pretty much the only excuse along those lines that I'll be sympathetic to.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33541 on: March 17, 2014, 10:27:06 am »

Well, he simply said there shouldn't be adulterers in the Ministry, because that's apparently against their rules.   
Seems kind of logical to me. The part about 'following the basic rules of whatever religion/group/club you're joining', I mean.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #33542 on: March 17, 2014, 10:28:55 am »

Imagine if this line of reasoning was used for say, a KKK member.

"I'm not racist. Just the group I belong to has some racist rules."
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Th4DwArfY1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #33543 on: March 17, 2014, 10:29:57 am »

In order to join such an organisation, they would first have to change it's basic laws. Why join something for the purpose of making it something that it isn't?

I'm not christian. I'm agnostic.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  Th4DwArfY1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33544 on: March 17, 2014, 10:30:55 am »

I'm not sure where you're going with this... all I'm saying is that Dwarfy never actually said he was part of a religion in that post.
Maybe he is, I wouldn't know, but he didn't specify.

Ninja'd.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #33545 on: March 17, 2014, 10:31:22 am »

That's a bit of a stretch. The Church does not exist solely to persecute homosexuals; there are a lot of Christians who aren't anti-homosexual, myself included.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Tu jee, veerey / Toofano se lad ke [Fight, brave one / Fight those internal storms and]
Tu jeet, veerey / Zakhmo se bhid kar bhi tu [Win, brave one / Weather those wounds and]
Firse uthega yaara [Rise once again]

Mel lives again! Fight monsters; fight crime; fight compound interest...

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #33546 on: March 17, 2014, 10:31:57 am »

Ah, I see the misunderstanding then.

You're just saying it's reasonable for christian denominations to discriminate since it's in their holy text.

Right-o. No real problem there, though I'd still say those denominations are morally wrong.

Anyway, apologies for the misunderstanding and any false accusations I may have thrown :)

That's a bit of a stretch. The Church does not exist solely to persecute homosexuals; there are a lot of Christians who aren't anti-homosexual, myself included.
You make a fair point, though I will say any member who isn't homophobic would disagree with their church's actions and opinions concerning homosexuality (assuming said church holds such).
« Last Edit: March 17, 2014, 10:35:52 am by kaijyuu »

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #33547 on: March 17, 2014, 10:34:47 am »

In order to join such an organisation, they would first have to change it's basic laws. Why join something for the purpose of making it something that it isn't?

Sometimes the organization as a whole means more to people than one rule they disagree with, so they strive to change that rule to improve the organization. It's called "reform".

Th4DwArfY1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33548 on: March 17, 2014, 10:34:50 am »

I'll not say you didn't make me very angry, but apology accepted. Thanks for not going down my throat, Yoink.
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #33549 on: March 17, 2014, 10:37:26 am »

In order to join such an organization, they would first have to change it's basic laws. Why join something for the purpose of making it something that it isn't?
To... make it better. Or the world better. Or help people. Y'know... stuff like that? And in the case of stuff that's not central to the identity of the organization,* it doesn't really change the organization's core identity any.

*And discrimination against homosexuality is about as core to christianity as stoning people who wear mixed fabrics to death or celibacy among their priesthood.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Celebrating one decade of existential crisis.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33550 on: March 17, 2014, 10:39:50 am »

Haven't been in this thread for a long time, but:

People saying that 'The Banner Saga' is bad writing.
Spoiler: Massive spoilers (click to show/hide)
So yes.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.
Bay 12 Blood Bowl I apparently host now.

Th4DwArfY1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33551 on: March 17, 2014, 10:42:36 am »

I guess it's your choice to prefer your god to your fellow human beings.

If anything, you have it the wrong way around.

If God is omnipotent and omnibenevolent, why does evil exist?

You can draw the conclusion that God does not exist, or that he is capricious/malevolent. Either way, not a faith I'd wish to worship.

Sometimes the organization as a whole means more to people than one rule they disagree with, so they strive to change that rule to improve the organization. It's called "reform".
In order to join such an organization, they would first have to change it's basic laws. Why join something for the purpose of making it something that it isn't?
To... make it better. Or the world better. Or help people. Y'know... stuff like that? And in the case of stuff that's not central to the identity of the organization,* it doesn't really change the organization's core identity any.

*And discrimination against homosexuality is about as core to christianity as stoning people who wear mixed fabrics to death or celibacy among their priesthood.

So. You would change the basic doctrine of millions of people? You would "Reform" something which is divinely (Supposedly) sent.
You don't understand. Changing scripture is doubting God. A proper, homosexual christian would not try to do that. It is not a matter of discrimination. It is a matter of religion. To deny that religion their (NON HARMING) views on admittance, is discrimination.
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #33552 on: March 17, 2014, 10:43:21 am »

I'll not say you didn't make me very angry, but apology accepted.
I'm a rather bad judge of people at times. 'Tis one of my many faults :(

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #33553 on: March 17, 2014, 10:43:33 am »

So yes, when I say that I believe that there should be no gay clergy, it isn't because I hate them. It is because the bible specifically says it is wrong. Ergo, I disagree, it is my right to disagree.

As an agnostic, I don't think you know what that word means.  Agnosticism by definition implies doubt in the bible, because the bible draws its authority from the existence of god and if you are sure, or even confident of the existence of god you are not an agnostic.

Honestly from what you've said so far I would describe you as a non-denominational Christian.  AKA you believe in the core of Christian beliefs but are not participating in organized religion.

Edit: To be clear, this is a word definition issue.  You can believe in whatever you want, I just disagree with your word choice.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2014, 10:48:01 am by EnigmaticHat »
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #33554 on: March 17, 2014, 10:45:37 am »

If God is omnipotent and omnibenevolent, why does evil exist?

Because He would rather there was evil and free will than neither evil nor free will.

Edit: if this is going to go on, maybe it should be moved to the old religion thread? I'm entirely fine with it stopping, too.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2014, 10:48:51 am by Arx »

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Tu jee, veerey / Toofano se lad ke [Fight, brave one / Fight those internal storms and]
Tu jeet, veerey / Zakhmo se bhid kar bhi tu [Win, brave one / Weather those wounds and]
Firse uthega yaara [Rise once again]

Mel lives again! Fight monsters; fight crime; fight compound interest...
Pages: 1 ... 2235 2236 [2237] 2238 2239 ... 3326