Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2236 2237 [2238] 2239 2240 ... 3326

Author Topic: Things that made you RRRRRRAAAAGGGGEEEE today: Trust-o-nomics Edition  (Read 2012950 times)

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you RRRAAAAGGGGEEEE today: Reflex Edition
« Reply #33555 on: March 17, 2014, 10:49:40 am »

Uh. Hat, he didn't say he agreed with/followed the bible as such- he's saying he doesn't agree with people joining the religion whilst happily breaking some of its main tenets, ' cause that is kinda silly.  That's how I interpreted it, anyway.

Edit: I'm fine with stopping this whole religion discussion asap, too. :P
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Th4DwArfY1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #33556 on: March 17, 2014, 10:52:16 am »

I'll not say you didn't make me very angry, but apology accepted.
I'm a rather bad judge of people at times. 'Tis one of my many faults :(
Really, don't worry about it. Everyone is wrong sometimes.  :). Don't blame you at all.

If God is omnipotent and omnibenevolent, why does evil exist?

Because He would rather there was evil and free will than neither evil nor free will.
Ah, but why should we not have Swinburne's Toy World? Are we not happy without free will?

So yes, when I say that I believe that there should be no gay clergy, it isn't because I hate them. It is because the bible specifically says it is wrong. Ergo, I disagree, it is my right to disagree.

I'm not christian. I'm agnostic.

As an agnostic, I don't think you know what that word means.  Agnosticism by definition implies doubt in the bible, because the bible draws its authority from the existence of god and if you are sure, or even confident of the existence of god you are not an agnostic.

Honestly from what you've said so far I would describe you as a non-denominational Christian.  AKA you believe in the core of Christian beliefs but are not participating in organized religion.

Edit: To be clear, this is a word definition issue.  You can believe in whatever you want, I just disagree with your word choice.
I know what agnosticism is. I know what I am. I am not sure, or confident in the existence of God. I don't know where you got that I was.

Sorry Yoink, didn't see your comment. Yes, that is essentially it.  :P

If you want it to stop, I'm sure I can save being abused for my views for my R.E. class.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2014, 10:54:29 am by Th4DwArfY1 »
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  Th4DwArfY1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33557 on: March 17, 2014, 10:53:50 am »

I think the point Thedwarfyone is trying to make is the difference between (perhaps for want of a more suitable word) morally incorrect rules people force upon themselves and morally incorrect rules people force on other people. IE: It's fine when people force themselves to follow weird rules so long as they don't force others to do so.

That said, in such a large and important organization as Christianity, I can see the value, morally, of trying to change it from the inside. A hypothetical reformer doesn't have to be a single issue person. They can agree with the vast majority of Christianity and still want to, as a example, change it's stance on gay clergy. And that seems like it would be valid to me.

Of course, that's in a hypothetical world where Christianity doesn't propagate harmful beliefs in the world and outside of itself. In the real world where it does in fact have such a large sway, infiltrating it explicitly to change part of it's dogma is probably also a justifiable action.

I don't actually think this post added anything, since the only important thing I had to say was said by Yoink in the post above me. Don't care, going to post anyway. Ta ta.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Celebrating one decade of existential crisis.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33558 on: March 17, 2014, 10:55:16 am »

Hi, I'm an atheist, and this is a topic which has been responsible for more locked threads than any other topic in the half-decade I've been here.
So ditch.

Seriously, all you fuck off and make a new 'Theism' thread, so that it can absorb the flammability and get locked.
I don't care if it's 'on the rage rails'. You're not doing this here.

If this miffs you, try getting angry at my condescending writing pattern. At least that's clean anger.
I appreciate the efforts made by all the others who also saw the coming storm - however, a forest fire isn't fixed with buckets of water, it's fixed by getting rid of the forest.
When people say 'Here's my two cents but we should probably stop', that's an intellectual community hitting the event horizon.
Now Shoo.

- YES - I see all of you who were ninjad by this post. And you're thinking to yourself 'Gosh, but I just wrote this whole treatise on the nature of agnosticism'.
Copy- Paste- Religion thread. Not here.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.
Bay 12 Blood Bowl I apparently host now.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #33559 on: March 17, 2014, 10:58:27 am »

I was going to say something, but I'm with Tack.

Legit rage: "If you have a problem with your teachers, please contact [REDACTED]". [REDACTED] is an administrator. [REDACTED] isn't answering my emails about a matter pertaining to administration. [REDACTED] probably wouldn't respond to a problem with teachers, either. [REDACTED] is rage-inducing.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Tu jee, veerey / Toofano se lad ke [Fight, brave one / Fight those internal storms and]
Tu jeet, veerey / Zakhmo se bhid kar bhi tu [Win, brave one / Weather those wounds and]
Firse uthega yaara [Rise once again]

Mel lives again! Fight monsters; fight crime; fight compound interest...

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33560 on: March 17, 2014, 10:59:25 am »

Other rage:

Someone disagreed with me on the internet.

I told him he is a faget and that I had sexual intercourse with his mother last night. That's how you do internet debating right?

Th4DwArfY1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #33561 on: March 17, 2014, 11:01:48 am »

Sorry Yoink, didn't see your comment. Yes, that is essentially it.  :P

If you want it to stop, I'm sure I can save being abused for my views for my R.E. class.

I may agree with you, Tack, but not with your delivery. Make a point, and I don't care. Blatantly say it in a vicious, in your face way? That is wrong. Be more polite. Be more discreet.

I'm sorry to any I have offended with this, but really, the way I was treated did make me angry. I'm maybe not at my best right now, and will stop posting in order to cool off.

Again, sorry.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  Th4DwArfY1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #33562 on: March 17, 2014, 11:04:44 am »

Not listening to anybody who tries to convince me of anything by telling me to fuck off.

So. You would change the basic doctrine of millions of people? You would "Reform" something which is divinely (Supposedly) sent.
You don't understand. Changing scripture is doubting God. A proper, homosexual christian would not try to do that. It is not a matter of discrimination. It is a matter of religion. To deny that religion their (NON HARMING) views on admittance, is discrimination.

You have no justification for any of this besides dogma. Not everyone shares this view on changing religion. In fact, I'd say the vast majority of people support changing it in some ways. If they don't then they're hypocrites - every single branch of Christianity practiced today is a result of countless changes in how the religion is practiced.

Some people realize that the Bible is not the literal divine word of God. Some people believe that it was divinely inspired, but that the people who wrote it originally included their own biases. These people believe that removing the result of this human bigotry brings Christianity closer to God's unconditional love.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33563 on: March 17, 2014, 11:08:02 am »

"Hey guys, can I join the Bridge Club? I uh, don't actually play bridge, but still. Hey, why don't we all play some Monopoly instead?"

:P
Booze is Life for Yoink

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33564 on: March 17, 2014, 11:09:18 am »

Not listening to anybody who tries to convince me of anything by telling me to fuck off.
To be fair, Tack is right. If it's simply a matter of pride, how about:

Please start a new religious thread if you want to continue this conversation?

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #33565 on: March 17, 2014, 11:10:24 am »

"Hey guys, can I join the Bridge Club? I uh, don't actually play bridge, but still. Hey, why don't we all play some Monopoly instead?"

:P

"Hey, why don't we all play some Monopoly instead?"

Monopoly

It's like you hate friendliness and civility. You think this thread is filled with angry people now?
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #33566 on: March 17, 2014, 11:11:45 am »

Guys, right now things are going smoothly. This is a debate, and there are no flamethrowers involved. Unfortunately, we can't really guarantee that it'll stay that way, as the forum doesn't have the greatest track record with this topic. If the discussion moves to the convenient new thread, the rage thread will be uncluttered, and if the thread gets locked it's no big deal.

Tu jee, veerey / Toofano se lad ke [Fight, brave one / Fight those internal storms and]
Tu jeet, veerey / Zakhmo se bhid kar bhi tu [Win, brave one / Weather those wounds and]

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33567 on: March 17, 2014, 11:14:46 am »

And thus, the Third World War began, as all the most powerful rulers of the various nations of Earth gathered together for a friendly game of Monopoly: International Edition.
Booze is Life for Yoink

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Celebrating one decade of existential crisis.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33568 on: March 17, 2014, 11:16:35 am »

-snip-
B12 is a massive cultural melting pot, but the majority is still opinionated intellectuals.
Make the point softly, you get rolled over- make the point bluntly, and you get criticized.
With how easily incensed people are by that topic, ensuring I was the criticized party was two birds, one stone.
Luckily it's also at the top of a 25-post page.

However, the biggest issue isn't the people discussing it currently, but the people who'll click 'new replies' and see that they were quoted.
Therefore by making my point in a 'vicious, in your face way', I have created a solid pointer to where the discussion ends. People will definitely post about it after this, and just like the lingering ashes of a wildfire, it can start a new one all too easily. Thankfully, most of you who have seen the above rebuke will have a reason to ignore your innate sense of tact and drop the discussion when you are inevitably quoted by those people.
Theoretically, you have all been backburned.

Of course, that's always in theory, because there's ultimately going to be the one or two who says 'I'm going to respond to your aggression by stubbornly pursuing the flammable topic'.
But there's no real perfect solution, so I just had to roll with the percentages.

This is also why I should never rule a country.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.
Bay 12 Blood Bowl I apparently host now.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #33569 on: March 17, 2014, 11:16:58 am »

And thus, the Third World War began, as all the most powerful rulers of the various nations of Earth gathered together for a friendly game of Monopoly: International Edition.
I call dibs on the ship.

Pages: 1 ... 2236 2237 [2238] 2239 2240 ... 3326