Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2266 2267 [2268] 2269 2270 ... 3345

Author Topic: Things that made you RRRRRRAAAAGGGGEEEE today: Trust-o-nomics Edition  (Read 3424272 times)

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you RRRAAAAGGGGEEEE today: Reflex Edition
« Reply #34005 on: March 21, 2014, 12:36:58 am »

That's not what he's saying.

If I take 76,234,839,384, and want to find if it's divisible by 7, then 15,246,967,880 isn't exactly any more helpful.
Probably 'cause you're doing it wrong :V

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #34006 on: March 21, 2014, 12:48:05 am »

22,870,451,818 wouldn't exactly be the most helpful thing in the world, either. It's not even divisible by seven! Or doesn't end up with a whole number, anyway. But you wouldn't know that unless you actually divided it by seven (or, well, used some other heuristic for determining if something's divisible by seven), or ran through the process quite a few more times.

... point being, it's maybe helpful with (much) smaller stuff*, but seems like it doesn't take very long before it stops being a time saver. Unless there's something more to it?

*And, being fair, that might be just what C needs, if C's just working with multiplication table stuff. I still use the finger method pretty regularly for multiples of nine up to 90, m'self.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34007 on: March 21, 2014, 01:32:18 am »

7 is the LCS of numbers. That is a comparison that I don't want to make because it is far too late.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #34008 on: March 21, 2014, 03:13:01 am »

I associate music (not all sounds, but music) with places I've been on vacation, for no reason that I am capable of discerning.

For example:
Imagine Dragons - "Radioactive" -> Ann Arbor
The Alan Parsons Project - "Step By Step" -> Anchorage
D12 - "My Band" -> San Juan

I swear, I actually think this way.

I heavily associate music I regularly listen to with a season and, sometimes completely unrelated imagery. Example:

Django Reinhardt - pretty much anything - (Early) Spring
Rush - 2112 - Summer
Dream Theater - A Change of Seasons - Winter
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34009 on: March 21, 2014, 03:29:00 am »

Arrrgh I still feel sick! >:(
Stupid sinuses, stupid body, stupid immune system. I have stuff I want to do tonight, damnit!
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34010 on: March 21, 2014, 05:38:30 am »

Guyz, iterate! The whole thing converges, because 3<10, and in the end you'll have a one-digit number that either is or is not seven!
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #34011 on: March 21, 2014, 06:44:31 am »

Here's an actually useful trick for divisibility by seven that requires SIGNIFICANTLY less iteration: Let's say you have a large number, say 6459710408. First, split the number into triplets, starting from the right, and alternate between adding and subtracting them (again, starting from the right): -6+459-710+404 = 147. Repeat if necessary. Now double the hundreds digit, triple the tens, then add the three digits: 2*1+3*4+1*7=21. Since 21 is divisible by 7, so is 6459710408!

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #34012 on: March 21, 2014, 10:23:30 am »

Here's an actually useful trick for divisibility by seven that requires SIGNIFICANTLY less iteration: Let's say you have a large number, say 6459710408. First, split the number into triplets, starting from the right, and alternate between adding and subtracting them (again, starting from the right): -6+459-710+404 = 147. Repeat if necessary. Now double the hundreds digit, triple the tens, then add the three digits: 2*1+3*4+1*7=21. Since 21 is divisible by 7, so is 6459710408!

Heh. Division by seven actually got me 'banned' from my Physics lectures.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #34013 on: March 21, 2014, 10:27:48 am »

God damn you Windows and your stupid folder permissions shenanigans, how retarded is that you break your own permissions?

Mesa

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me River.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34014 on: March 21, 2014, 10:34:50 am »

Oh for God's sake!
OF COURSE I'll have to be away tomorrow doing random shit at some shopping center being bored to hell because my earphones are broken and missing out on a podcast I like to watch, so I won't be even able to watch it on the phone.

FFS, I hate when that happens. I hate doing shopping. But of course women make up a bigger portion of my family so there's always at least one person at any given time willing to take me where I will have to endure the torment of boredom from going around shops to eventually go back to the one where we started.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #34015 on: March 21, 2014, 10:38:55 am »

Oh for God's sake!
OF COURSE I'll have to be away tomorrow doing random shit at some shopping center being bored to hell because my earphones are broken and missing out on a podcast I like to watch, so I won't be even able to watch it on the phone.
Removed.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2014, 10:57:28 am by RedKing »

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34016 on: March 21, 2014, 10:40:28 am »

Maybe you should try buying stuff for yourself? Or at least checking things out.
I'm sure it would be a much more tolerable experience if you were an equal (or almost equal) participant. :)
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Mesa

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me River.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34017 on: March 21, 2014, 10:42:11 am »

Oh for God's sake!
:firstworldproblems.jpg

Just sayin...

The thing is I don't even have a choice in whether I want to go there or not because apparently I have zero authority in this house now.

I just dislike shopping. I just never need anything. And even if I do, it isn't something that warrants going to the biggest shopping center in the voivodeship 30 kilometers away.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2014, 10:45:47 am by DarkDXZ »

Owlga

• Bay Watcher
  • Turbo times two
    • View Profile
« Reply #34018 on: March 21, 2014, 10:55:22 am »

firstworldproblems.jpg

Just sayin...

I'm still so fucking annoyed that this stupid saying is still a thing.

Yeah maybe some people think some peoples problems are silly, but you know what? Out there someone thinks whatever problem you have is silly, no matter how severe or serious it feels to you. Or how serious it is "objectively" (Hint there's no real objective when it's your own damn brain deciding how horrible a problem really is or not)

Besides the front page says don't ruin it for anyone else. I don't think anyone should be crapping on anyone's problems.
Quote from: Cupaketan
if u cant taek a cake, dont do a bake, in a kitchen
so u hav2 leve it ok bc its 2 hot 4u
Owlga is the chillest anime girl ever.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #34019 on: March 21, 2014, 10:57:48 am »

firstworldproblems.jpg

Just sayin...

I'm still so fucking annoyed that this stupid saying is still a thing.

Yeah maybe some people think some peoples problems are silly, but you know what? Out there someone thinks whatever problem you have is silly, no matter how severe or serious it feels to you. Or how serious it is "objectively" (Hint there's no real objective when it's your own damn brain deciding how horrible a problem really is or not)

Besides the front page says don't ruin it for anyone else. I don't think anyone should be crapping on anyone's problems.

I'm ok when people themselves #firstworldproblems

When you respond to someone else's rage with it, yeah, it does come off poorly.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti
Pages: 1 ... 2266 2267 [2268] 2269 2270 ... 3345