Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2272 2273 [2274] 2275 2276 ... 3345

Author Topic: Things that made you RRRRRRAAAAGGGGEEEE today: Trust-o-nomics Edition  (Read 3426743 times)

Lightningfalcon

• Bay Watcher
  • Target locked. Firing main cannon.
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you RRRAAAAGGGGEEEE today: Reflex Edition
« Reply #34095 on: March 22, 2014, 06:35:51 pm »

Combination of sad and rage, but I only felt like making a single overly long post.
Sad part- Got third place in the state academic competition today.  For nearly a decade we haven't gotten lower then second.   And what makes it more humiliating is that our rival school had BOTH their teams beat us, and our B team didn't even make it to the consolation round, let alone the semi-finals.  Next year I will probably be the commander, and it's almost guaranteed that we will get first, due to how their best person graduating, but it still feels terrible. 
Rage part- A good part of the reason we lost was just really, really terrible luck.      There was only a single history category, which is our teams greatest strength.   Of those we managed to get four out of the five questions.    But ALL the rest of the categories were things like leadership.   The reason we are terrible at that category?   The only way to actually know the answers are to memorize them from the textbooks.   Why?   The questions are ambiguous as hell.  Here are a few examples-
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
The other main reason we lost was that a member of our team was absent for some reason or the other.   While having him there probably wouldn't of had us win the competition, he definitely would of made the math a lot closer.   We have a system where we have specific people to replace others, as we each study specific categories.   However, the person who was supposed to replace the absentee wasn't able to make it either, so we had to replace him with a person who, while good, is mostly redundant when it comes to what the team as a whole knows.       

Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum circo vincendarum
W-we just... wanted our...
Actually most of the people here explicitly wanted chaos and tragedy. So. Uh.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34096 on: March 22, 2014, 06:37:22 pm »

You can use impure one in starting fluid from auto parts store. It's ether mixed with some petroleum products. Obviously, flammable as fuck.
There is no way this could go wrong.
Fun fact: You can get hammered on ether. Not glue-huffing hammered, proper hammered. The Irish used to do this to evade taxes, apparently.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #34097 on: March 22, 2014, 07:02:01 pm »

You can use impure one in starting fluid from auto parts store. It's ether mixed with some petroleum products. Obviously, flammable as fuck.
Fun fact: You can get hammered on ether. Not glue-huffing hammered, proper hammered. The Irish used to do this to evade taxes, apparently.
Irishmen don't have to pay taxes when drunk?

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #34098 on: March 22, 2014, 07:05:25 pm »

Yeah, I wondered what that meant too. Then I settled on that the booze was probably was taxed and the other stuff not taxed.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #34099 on: March 22, 2014, 07:11:15 pm »

Yeah, I wondered what that meant too. Then I settled on that the booze was probably was taxed and the other stuff not taxed.
I'm sticking with my explanation.

Knit tie

• Bay Watcher
  • Consider avatar too slim until end of diet.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34100 on: March 22, 2014, 07:17:21 pm »

-snip-

That's just unfair. How many of the questions were this ambiguous? Can you appeal to whoever's in charge?

You are studying in a military academy, I presume? Our family's friend, a colonel, used to tell us that whenever they had a competition of some sorts in his officer school, the tasks or questions were laughably asinine and the place you got was completely unrelated to your actual skill or performance, so I guess this problem is not limited to Russia.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2014, 07:22:57 pm by Knit tie »

TD1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34101 on: March 22, 2014, 07:24:48 pm »

I think you mean wisdom. Intelligence is knowing things. Wisdom is being able to utilise that knowledge for the best possible effect.
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Knit tie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34102 on: March 22, 2014, 07:26:13 pm »

Question- What should a leader do when he learns that a decision was unethical? 
Our answer- Work to correct it. 
"Correct" answer- Question what he should do next.   
Question- "What is the most valued quality a leader should have?
Our answer-Honesty
"Correct" answer-integrity
Question-What is the most valued quality of a follower?
Our answer- Integrity
"Correct" answer- honesty
Those sound like opinions.

I think that the best thing a leader can have is intelligence, because then they know what to do should they balls up, and know what the best decision, at least for whoever they lead, is.

The question of "best" is more often than not entirely subjective, unfortunately, so no matter how you answer those questions, you can be wrong.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34103 on: March 22, 2014, 07:33:27 pm »

I'm sticking with my explanation.
Yup, alcohol was heavily taxed, but ether wasn't. Plus ether has some fun dissociative effects and doesn't leave much of a hangover.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34104 on: March 22, 2014, 07:34:15 pm »

Tell a friend? Family member? Teacher? Councillor? PM someone you trust? Entrust it to the masses via facebook? (Not what I choose, but that does seem the popular method of debasing oneself these days)
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

TD1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34105 on: March 22, 2014, 07:35:41 pm »

Two words. BAR. FIGHT.
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Lightningfalcon

• Bay Watcher
  • Target locked. Firing main cannon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34106 on: March 22, 2014, 07:43:52 pm »

-snip-

That's just unfair. How many of the questions were this ambiguous? Can you appeal to whoever's in charge?

You are studying in a military academy, I presume? Our family's friend, a colonel, used to tell us that whenever they had a competition of some sorts in his officer school, the tasks or questions were laughably asinine and the place you got was completely unrelated to your actual skill or performance, so I guess this problem is not limited to Russia.
The majority of the questions were things like "What was the primary Japanese objective in the battle of the Leyte Gulf", "Give the three parts of the nuclear triad", or "Give the first international space flight".    The round semi-final round was almost entirely questions like that, and we absolutely steamrolled that round.   
Unfortunately the school that was hosting it is somewhat notorious for being very strict with the answers.   The person in charge did give some leeway, but it was mainly in the area where you have to give sentence long answers.
This is for an NJROTC unit.   I'm also part of the regular school academic team, but on there we only really compete on the county level.  Mainly because we can never actually put a team together for the state competition, since everyone always has something that was already planned for that weekend by the time it is announced.   
Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum circo vincendarum
W-we just... wanted our...
Actually most of the people here explicitly wanted chaos and tragedy. So. Uh.

Knit tie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34107 on: March 22, 2014, 08:24:56 pm »

I don't really know if there are many things you can do on a weekend that are more important than representing your county in a competition.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #34108 on: March 22, 2014, 08:28:46 pm »

I really know how that feels Lightningfalcon. >.>
Some really unflexible questions.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #34109 on: March 22, 2014, 08:36:37 pm »

I don't really know if there are many things you can do on a weekend that are more important than representing your county in a competition.
Haha, I could think of quite a few. Starting with taking a nap! Or cooking breakfast. It just kinda works its way up from there, really...

... I'll admit, though. I'm biased towards ranking most competition as fairly low on the proverbial value pole. Don't have much use for the stuff, especially if it's for someone else's pride. Playful like's a'ight sometimes -- games and whatnot -- but most stuff beyond that just rubs me th'wrong way.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.
Pages: 1 ... 2272 2273 [2274] 2275 2276 ... 3345