Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2296 2297 [2298] 2299 2300 ... 3345

Author Topic: Things that made you RRRRRRAAAAGGGGEEEE today: Trust-o-nomics Edition  (Read 3422863 times)

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you RRRAAAAGGGGEEEE today: Reflex Edition
« Reply #34455 on: March 28, 2014, 10:43:02 pm »

One more reason to never move to USA...

I can never understand how these systems were made this way in the first place.
It's simple, really. In the USA, money is political clout. You can buy votes bald-faced. Our political system is openly corrupt, but tries to be aloof about it. "It's not bribery and vote buying, it's lobbying and issue advocacy!" Our politicians campaign from the time they're elected until the next election cycle. The only thing they care about is voting in a way that will get them a) funded, and b) re-elected to get more corporate funding to continue the cycle. Thus, unless there is massive public pressure placed on the politicians, they vote in favor of getting more money for themselves, even if they have to screw everyone else.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34456 on: March 28, 2014, 11:22:44 pm »

Friends convinced me to get Dayz Standalone...
They were away so I thought I would go scavange.
After a day of great scavenging I am moving around when suddenly silent zombie breaks my leg!!!

T_T

Still waiting for friends to come save me...
Quote from: Ubiq
Broker: Wasn't there an ambush squad here just a second ago?
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?
My LIVESTREAM. I'm Aussie, so not everything is clean. Least it works...

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #34457 on: March 29, 2014, 10:47:54 am »

WHAT is a point of a network discovery tool for a wireless repeater if you can't even hit the internal address, how fucking retarded is that.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you RRRAAAAGGGGEEEE today: Adult Children Edition
« Reply #34458 on: March 29, 2014, 02:47:45 pm »

Sometimes, my friends are real assholes.

Not in what they do, just how they act sometimes.

I tend to wear my emotions of my shirt sleeve. As such, I tend to be pretty respectful of others. There's a line beyond which I don't really joke with people, and when they are clearly not happy with it, I stop.

And yet I seem to acquire friends who, like older brothers, love pushing people's buttons. These are people I've known for years, since I was a kid, and somehow as adults the behavior has never left.

It's getting to the point I'm about ready to punch someone to get my point across, that I don't like being fucked with. I make it obvious when i'm not having any "fun" anymore, and sometimes some of my friends just use those cues to dial it up even further to the point I don't even want to talk to them for the rest of the day. If I wanted to be singled out and have someone call me faggot, in whatever context, I'd go hang out on 4-chan and talk about my feelings.

I mean, I pride myself on having not grown up in a lot of ways. How I handle other people's feelings though is one place I matured a lot faster than others. Apparently still to this day.

There's one person in particular that, though I love him like a brother, I feel the weight of creation on my fist as the desire to make him realize how much of an inconsiderate, self-serving fucktard he can be.

Imagine someone who, half jokingly and half not, never shuts up about how awesome they are. In real life, in video games, whatever, they always act like alpha dog and won't shut up about it. It's their running joke, how amazing they are. And lots of times they're right. They're talented, skilled and do lots of things well. I'm not the kind of person, who even in jest, blathers about how good I am at something. I hate boasting, arrogance and self-aggrandizement. Their general mien is aloof and contemptuous, unless it's something they initiate. It's meant as a joke but over the years it's evolved into an actual personality. It's pretty much the epitome of the smug nerd.

And so when that's the "joke" of the hour, I just want to walk away from this person and anyone who taking part in their brand of stupid humor. And just by being that way, I get singled out. So my choices become: stand there in silence until they run out of energy (what I ended up doing a lot with my brother when he'd act this way) or leave, at which point everyone's like "Oh, come on, don't be like that."

Fuck you. You know what I don't like. It's not a lot to ask that you don't beat a joke to death until I'm ready to ram your skull through a piece of drywall. Most people I interact with don't act this way, respect when a joke is obnoxious and respect when my feelings are getting hurt. I didn't go through life to end up again as someone's punching bag or the butt of their jokes in another circle of friends. It's getting to the point where I just can't talk to these guys when they're like this, because the potential for violence is getting too strong. I went through this exact same thing in high school. And you know what? The only way I got the respect I felt I deserved was by getting angry and kicking someone's ass.

But I'm an adult now and I've come to learn that, regardless of your goals, anger is generally toxic and destructive to relationships. And this guy has been my friend since we were kids. So I don't really know what to do now. Being sincere just gets me mocked. Saying nothing gets me mocked. Leaving makes everyone try to place the blame for the situation on how I'm reacting rather than how they're acting. Reacting angrily just makes me feel bad.

It's the classic cycle of the tormentor and the victim and I'm fucking sick of it. I was sick of it as a kid and I'm sick of it as an adult. Why the fuck does anyone have to have fun at someone else's expense, or build themselves up by pointing out how much weaker everyone else is?

Christ I just want to punch this message through to this guy, because I know he's never really had the life experience where the world has forcibly and painfully shown him how wrong he is. I've had several of those life experiences now, which have made me who I am. I thought physical bullies were bad, but intellectual bullies are honestly worse.

It's possible I am just being too hyper-sensitive in all this. But after a couple years now of seeing this pattern of behavior, and my own reactions to it, I know i don't like it, am never going to appreciate it and am never going to play along. If hanging out with people makes me angry, miserable or feel like shit, why would I fucking do it?

Here's my adult-man-child example:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

It's honestly really sad. He used to be the nicest, sweetest person you'd ever meet as a kid. And he can still sometimes be insanely thoughtful. But then he's always got to cut it with a dose of the complete and total asshole he became sometime in his teenage years. Sometimes I swear to god he's biploar, but not like manic/depressive. His bipolar disorder is closer to Jekyll and Hyde. Where one side is the brilliant, witty, caring friend I've known for years, and the other is a fucking internet troll of the worst caliber, the kind who likes to pull lets off insects so he feels superior. I don't know what to do with this guy but I feel like the tension is building to the point I'm going to do or say something with permanent consequences.

But there's one thing I will stand on. I'm nobodies fucking punching bag. And if he doesn't get that point by me telling him soon, he's going to feel that point on the edge of my goddamn knuckles breaking his nose like he's deserved for the last 18 fucking years, you smug fucking jackass.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2014, 03:36:41 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #34459 on: March 29, 2014, 03:00:02 pm »

Something similar, if on a much much smaller scale, happened to me yesterday. I got the God Delusion by Dawkins from the school library, and put it in my uniform's pocket. One of my friends asked to see it, so I let them see it. They passed it around, and this was fine. They were Christian, and so made fun of it. I didn't mind this either, as I don't agree with everything Dawkins says. Then they threw it down the hallway, as a joke. I was irritated, but went and got it, then told them not to do it again. They did it again.

Now, I'm sure they thought they were being funny, but I wasn't amused. I told one of them to go get it. I wasn't going to crawl and get my book back. They refused. Just made me really angry. I argued with them for a bit, then went and got it and walked off. I wasn't going to take that.

I suppose I should stress that they don't usually act like idiots; it was the book they didn't like. Regardless, they acted inappropriately.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34460 on: March 29, 2014, 03:50:03 pm »

-snip-
Whelp that was pretty much a description of me.
Apart from I have no reason to be saying I'm great all the time, because I'm mediocre at best at everything.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Elephant Parade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34461 on: March 29, 2014, 06:35:57 pm »

Something similar, if on a much much smaller scale, happened to me yesterday. I got the God Delusion by Dawkins from the school library, and put it in my uniform's pocket. One of my friends asked to see it, so I let them see it. They passed it around, and this was fine. They were Christian, and so made fun of it. I didn't mind this either, as I don't agree with everything Dawkins says. Then they threw it down the hallway, as a joke. I was irritated, but went and got it, then told them not to do it again. They did it again.

Now, I'm sure they thought they were being funny, but I wasn't amused. I told one of them to go get it. I wasn't going to crawl and get my book back. They refused. Just made me really angry. I argued with them for a bit, then went and got it and walked off. I wasn't going to take that.

I suppose I should stress that they don't usually act like idiots; it was the book they didn't like. Regardless, they acted inappropriately.
They're being jerks, but it's kinda rude to read that sort of thing around religious people. It's a bit of a double standard, since they can read bibles and stuff, but still.

Edit: Reread post. You're not at fault even slightly here, though I'm not sure how the person figured out you were carrying the book.

PanH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34462 on: March 29, 2014, 06:41:52 pm »

Edit: Reread post. You're not at fault even slightly here, though I'm not sure how the person figured out you were carrying the book.
I'm guessing since it's in his uniform's pocket it can be seen you have a book (and what book is it, maybe ?)

TD1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34463 on: March 29, 2014, 06:51:40 pm »

I'm guessing since it's in his uniform's pocket it can be seen you have a book (and what book is it, maybe ?)

Yes, they saw it and what it was.
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #34464 on: March 29, 2014, 10:40:30 pm »

[...]
But I'm an adult now and I've come to learn that, regardless of your goals, anger is generally toxic and destructive to relationships. And this guy has been my friend since we were kids. So I don't really know what to do now. Being sincere just gets me mocked. Saying nothing gets me mocked. Leaving makes everyone try to place the blame for the situation on how I'm reacting rather than how they're acting. Reacting angrily just makes me feel bad.

It's the classic cycle of the tormentor and the victim and I'm fucking sick of it. I was sick of it as a kid and I'm sick of it as an adult. Why the fuck does anyone have to have fun at someone else's expense, or build themselves up by pointing out how much weaker everyone else is?
Do not act towards violence. Act to tell him that you don't like him swearing his head off with his ego. He can be boastful, but do it nicely, in other words.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34465 on: March 29, 2014, 10:45:40 pm »

If life were that simple, it would be great. In this case, I doubt verbal response will get you far. It seems he does this because he can do it, but not with some others. If he thinks you can be pushed over, he will do it. Reasoning may be seen as weakness. This will lead to him enforcing his view.

Of course, I don't know him, so I don't know if I'm right. However, this sounds like a male dominance thing to me. The thing that would stop it, but which you shouldn't do for obvious reasons, would be to lay him on his back
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #34466 on: March 29, 2014, 10:49:52 pm »

All the doubts. Doubting never stopped doing. >_>
If it won't work, try finding or researching another way. Help your friend instead of raging against him.

...Also wat. Male dominance? I just see a bad case of ego.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34467 on: March 29, 2014, 10:54:18 pm »

It would be ego, if he did it to everyone. He seems to do it to those that he believes he is above though.
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #34468 on: March 29, 2014, 11:15:36 pm »

Do not act towards violence. Act to tell him that you don't like him swearing his head off with his ego. He can be boastful, but do it nicely, in other words.
... as Nenjin has noted, he's already tried that (I'd imagine repeatedly, considering the length of their interaction) to no avail.

But... yeah, I'unno. Seems to me about the only thing you could do, given the information given, is start working toward cutting ties. People change, et al, and sometimes the friend of twenty years is not the friend of tomorrow. When it comes to that point, there's just... not much you can really do. 'Bout the most is suck it up and try to minimize the damage the break causes to shared friends, because the break's almost certainly coming.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #34469 on: March 29, 2014, 11:25:04 pm »

And now my desktop is kaput. Processor heat sink got busted in the move, and it's been erratic for the last few weeks. Today it finally started locking up and then failing to boot windows. I have a new one coming, but I'm hoping I didn't damage the processor, otherwise I'm in for a complete rebuild. Not really raging about it, I knew it was coming when the heat sink clamp got busted. Still sucks.

As for those guys, they're a small clique that has been friends since high school. And they revert back to then a lot, and tend to do the in/out group shit a lot. And I just don't share in that because I wasn't around, so when they doing their routine, I'm odd man out. I just wish they'd stop being douches about it.

... as Nenjin has noted, he's already tried that (I'd imagine repeatedly, considering the length of their interaction) to no avail.

But... yeah, I'unno. Seems to me about the only thing you could do, given the information given, is start working toward cutting ties. People change, et al, and sometimes the friend of twenty years is not the friend of tomorrow. When it comes to that point, there's just... not much you can really do. 'Bout the most is suck it up and try to minimize the damage the break causes to shared friends, because the break's almost certainly coming.

If I feel like he's disrespecting me again, he gets on notice that I'm walking away as a friend. If you've been following my rage about this group of people for a while, then you might be starting to notice a pattern. I certainly am and I don't like it.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti
Pages: 1 ... 2296 2297 [2298] 2299 2300 ... 3345