Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2334 2335 [2336] 2337 2338 ... 3345

Author Topic: Things that made you RRRRRRAAAAGGGGEEEE today: Trust-o-nomics Edition  (Read 3426385 times)

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
Re: Things that made you RRRAAAAGGGGEEEE today: You Just Don't Get It Edition
« Reply #35025 on: April 14, 2014, 10:00:57 am »

I emailed the University of Toronto. They promised a 3-5 business day reply,  but reply after 10 business days, and to top it off it's a freakin automated reply that scanned my email for keywords and pasted "relevant" text as a reply. -_- How can I tell? For one, I specified that I wanted to go to UoT in 2015, but the email says January admissions are closed in two separate paragraphs. I said I live in Korea but want to submit US scores, they reply in two paragraphs that they will accept my Korean grades and that they will accept my US test scores, nearly verbatim from the web page. Also, the paragraphs are all disjointed, with none of the transitions and unified topic that a human email would have.

edit: wait, the automatic reply says "designed to respond to general questions". Does that mean it's a glorified ARS system? Ugh.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2014, 10:08:44 am by Skyrunner »

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #35026 on: April 14, 2014, 10:12:11 am »

Who the fuck designs an automated reply system that takes 10 days to respond?
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #35027 on: April 14, 2014, 10:17:54 am »

Students  :D
._.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #35028 on: April 14, 2014, 10:20:46 am »

If... if helps any Sky, remember that they're getting likely dozens to hundreds of similar e-mails. Quite possibly per day. That's why they've got automated systems, painful as running into them may be. You'd probably need to e-mail someone specific -- usually an advisor or somethin' -- to get, well, a personal response.

Bugs, overload of some sort... it's not entirely uncommon for universities to be using legacy systems that might be literally a decade old. Place I'm going currently to is fairly small, but until like last year was using a system that was DOS based -- as in, built before win 3.1. Wouldn't expect it from somewhere as large as UoT, but it's known to happen.

... also what sergarr said, ha. Why spend money when you can offload the work on your students and get them to pay you for the privilege of building your software infrastructure? I mean, besides quality.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #35029 on: April 14, 2014, 10:25:11 am »

They don't have advisor emails, only phone numbers at business hours when I'm asleep.

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #35030 on: April 14, 2014, 10:53:13 am »

They don't have advisor emails, only phone numbers at business hours when I'm asleep.
If you know a useful advisor's name (I have no idea who's useful for you) you can probably grab the relevant email from the directory, if they don't give you anything useful anywhere else. Searching for International under Job Title might work, too, although watch out for Political Science instructors and suchlike. Not too familiar with international admissions, though, or I could be a bit more helpful.

This stuff is a pain.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35031 on: April 14, 2014, 10:56:56 am »

What subject to you want to study? You could e-mail the head of that department, or the guy they have for such questions.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #35032 on: April 14, 2014, 10:58:33 am »

That also is a good idea. They'll know their system better than anyone else, or more likely they'll know who to put you in touch with who knows the relevant parts of the system better than anyone else.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #35033 on: April 14, 2014, 11:47:08 am »

That. Try to get in touch with the department chair.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35034 on: April 14, 2014, 02:40:11 pm »

Riding the bus, a couple with a baby come on board. The parents reek of weed. You seriously have to do that shit by your toddler?
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #35035 on: April 14, 2014, 02:44:31 pm »

Riding the bus, a couple with a baby come on board. The parents reek of weed. You seriously have to do that shit by your toddler?

Maybe they used weed to keep the baby calm?
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35036 on: April 14, 2014, 02:56:05 pm »

Which would piss me off even more.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #35037 on: April 14, 2014, 03:33:50 pm »

That causes brain damage >_>

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #35038 on: April 14, 2014, 03:35:46 pm »

Can you please bold the part where the words 'clearly sensible and caring parents' appeared?
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #35039 on: April 14, 2014, 03:43:00 pm »

Riding the bus, a couple ascended the stairs to the chorus of ancient Greek singers. They strode forward with the confidence that they carried the hope of future, a baby held between them. Innocent and eager to live, driven by the basic philosophies of childhood, I reflected that this was clearly human nature distilled and perfected. But then I realized - the parents reeked of weed. You seriously have to do that shit by your toddler? Fukkin' bellends.
Can you please bold the part where the words 'clearly sensible and caring parents' appeared?
Point taken.
Pages: 1 ... 2334 2335 [2336] 2337 2338 ... 3345