Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2337 2338 [2339] 2340 2341 ... 3345

Author Topic: Things that made you RRRRRRAAAAGGGGEEEE today: Trust-o-nomics Edition  (Read 3413981 times)

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you RRRAAAAGGGGEEEE today: You Just Don't Get It Edition
« Reply #35070 on: April 15, 2014, 11:21:57 am »

My problem with those groups is that, basically, every group has it's own rights organization, trying to get the best stuff and privileges for their members. And then the hope is that that will somehow result in equal rights for everyone.
Feminism's an example of this working decently well. Men aren't expected to open doors and pay for dates as much anymore.

Then there's also the problem is that the entire thing nowadays seems to be based more on political correctness rather than equal chances.
Attitudes being changed is pretty damn important. "Political correctness" is useless when all it does is make people use euphemisms, but it's far from useless if we get people to stop spouting bullshit entirely.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35071 on: April 15, 2014, 11:25:30 am »

Its fucking snowing again.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #35072 on: April 15, 2014, 11:31:11 am »

My problem with those groups is that, basically, every group has it's own rights organization, trying to get the best stuff and privileges for their members. And then the hope is that that will somehow result in equal rights for everyone.
Feminism's an example of this working decently well. Men aren't expected to open doors and pay for dates as much anymore.

Then there's also the problem is that the entire thing nowadays seems to be based more on political correctness rather than equal chances.
Attitudes being changed is pretty damn important. "Political correctness" is useless when all it does is make people use euphemisms, but it's far from useless if we get people to stop spouting bullshit entirely.
Political correctness is running rampant. If anything, it compounds the problem. People use it as an excuse. It is twisted, essentially. If you call someone Mr. Brown, and they're black (this has happened) you can get in serious trouble. Suppose it comes down to whether you're a consequentialist or deontologist. Either way, political correctness is being used as a weapon, and there should be some relaxation.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #35073 on: April 15, 2014, 11:35:35 am »

Funny, I always thought PC ultimately had to do with respect for the other. But I guess it makes sense, since it feels like to me we're living in a time when respect for strangers is pretty much bottomed out.

Either way, WTF. How many feminism tangents are people going to go on?

Its fucking snowing again.

This. This is what I come here for.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

TD1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35074 on: April 15, 2014, 11:48:34 am »

It's been the sunniest week of the year here.

Snow sucks, unless it's Christmas time.

And essentially political correctness is meant, I think, to be about respect...but there comes a time when it gets out of hand that even the slightest infringement can be abused.

Have a mini-rage. Should a black person call a white person "White bread" or some-such, and the white person retorts with "Brown bread," at least where I am the black person would have the higher ground. I think what I said ties in with equality, but really I'm just saying it because it doesn't seem just.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2014, 11:53:01 am by Th4DwArfY1 »
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #35075 on: April 15, 2014, 12:02:03 pm »

"Political Correctness" has become a cheap term reactionaries throw around in an attempt to discredit opposition rather than having to attempt to respond with actual arguments. Most of what is called "PC gone rampant" is just a basic expectation that you don't behave like a complete arse to your fellow man.
Love, scriver~

majikero

• Bay Watcher
  • Poi~
    • View Profile
« Reply #35076 on: April 15, 2014, 12:03:32 pm »

Dammit I missed the Blood Moon.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #35077 on: April 15, 2014, 12:03:55 pm »

I'm pretty sure many Americans consider it a God-given right to be a total dick.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #35078 on: April 15, 2014, 12:17:32 pm »

"Political Correctness" has become a cheap term reactionaries throw around in an attempt to discredit opposition rather than having to attempt to respond with actual arguments. Most of what is called "PC gone rampant" is just a basic expectation that you don't behave like a complete arse to your fellow man.
And the bits that aren't are asshats who would've been looking for an excuse to feel superior anyway. Disliking political correctness because of the rare events where people do go to absurd extremes strikes me as being a lot like disliking music because of hipsters.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #35079 on: April 15, 2014, 12:19:14 pm »

The weather decided that I didn't need to see the eclipse. Thanks, weather.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35080 on: April 15, 2014, 12:32:29 pm »

And the bits that aren't are asshats who would've been looking for an excuse to feel superior anyway. Disliking political correctness because of the rare events where people do go to absurd extremes strikes me as being a lot like disliking music because of hipsters.
No...disliking political correctness is more like disliking a state of mind because it leads to certain "absurd extremes"
It gives many something to base their argument around, an argument that otherwise would have lost coherence. It makes people tip-toe around truth in case it offends someone else, and this can lead to negative repercussions later on. I like honesty, I dislike stifling traditions.
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35081 on: April 15, 2014, 01:15:45 pm »

I'm still awake at 4:19, having given up on sleeping hours ago and spent the time browsing Imgur.
Damnit Yoink, why are you so hopeless?! I went to bed at around half-past 11. :(
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #35082 on: April 15, 2014, 01:35:33 pm »

I spilled... smoking apparatus water all over my keyboard. Luckily I can still type on it. Unluckily my whole desk area smells nasty.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #35083 on: April 15, 2014, 01:43:50 pm »

Also, races aren't really important. Your skin colour doesn't effect who you are. A white person born in China is going to be different from other  white people, but this is because of culture; the whole nature vs nurture thing. But with gender it's different. A woman sees the world the way she does because she's a woman. A man his own way, too.

Equal opportunities, as in women and man can both have the same chance to do what they want, is good. However, equality is a pipe dream, as both are naturally different, instead of in relation to culture (Nurture).

And the feminist movement doesn't even seem to be about equality. It's more exclusive than that. They want their gender to do better.

For example, my dad was a bus river before he retired. The women were given equal everything, but some buses were harder to steer than others. In steps feminism, and now women get all the easier buses to handle, and the men have to do both. That is not equality, nor equal opportunity.

I was going to ask you how far you think the biological differences between genders went, but then I noticed a more pressing question: how far do you think that the arm of feminism reaches?

The hardness of driving an individual bus isn't recorded (I assume) and it isn't something anyone outside that one job would care about.  No bureaucrat or activist would ever know about it.  Depending on how many buses we're talking here individual bus drivers might not even know or agree.   So how would feminism have anything to do with this?
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #35084 on: April 15, 2014, 01:47:53 pm »

"Stealing all the easily steered buses from men" has been a core tenet of feminism since its inception. The candidate Susan B. Anthony voted for was actually running on a platform that would make it illegal for men to drive anything but the most unresponsive and poorly maintained buses.
Pages: 1 ... 2337 2338 [2339] 2340 2341 ... 3345