Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2345 2346 [2347] 2348 2349 ... 3345

Author Topic: Things that made you RRRRRRAAAAGGGGEEEE today: Trust-o-nomics Edition  (Read 3442116 times)

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile

I can tell with certainty, but I'm not gonna discuss my mother's dieting problems here.

Where did energy come from to move a universe? Presumably the big bang. And what happens when that energy runs out?
Then inertia happens. And before you start with gravity, the entire thing is pretty gravity-defying to begin with.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2014, 01:01:39 pm by Darvi »

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile

Things stop accelerating.

Of course, velocity doesnt require energy, so they'll continue moving apart. And if they're far enough apart? Gravity would be unable to pull them back together.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile

"And all the kings horses, and all the kings men
Couldn't put humpty dumpty together again" :P

Perhaps then, that would form a much bigger form of singularity, and then energy would (Somehow) be built up over millenia and another big bang occur.

Or perhaps there is an outer limit to the universe, and when it is reached everything will rebound.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Knit tie

• Bay Watcher
  • Consider avatar too slim until end of diet.
    • View Profile

Where did energy come from to move a universe? Presumably the big bang. And what happens when that energy runs out?
By "runs out" I am assuming you are referring to a state of absolute entropy, the "heat death" and not the energy being destroyed in a direct opposition to the laws of thermodynamics?

TD1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I know that energy can neither be created or destroyed. I meant it would cease to be kinetic.
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile

I know that energy can neither be created or destroyed. I meant it would cease to be kinetic.
That scenario has...potential.  8)

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

That scenario has...potential.  8)
:) Wow. Lol. I thought I was the one who used terrible, terrible puns :P
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile

Latest experimental data suggests that the universe is accelerating thanks to dark energy (which granted is not fully understood), which suggests a cold, dark fate for the cosmos.
This is a blank sig.

Knit tie

• Bay Watcher
  • Consider avatar too slim until end of diet.
    • View Profile

Latest experimental data suggests that the universe is accelerating thanks to dark energy (which granted is not fully understood), which suggests a cold, dark fate for the cosmos.
Luckily not in our lifetime. As a species.

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile

Preaching to the choir, man. TBH if we even make it through the 4bil years until the sun goes all omnomnom I will be surprised. If we make it that far though, we should be long gone out of the solar system, and probably far removed from the bipedal stacks of meat we currently are.
This is a blank sig.

kaenneth

• Bay Watcher
  • Catching fish
    • View Profile
    • Terrible Web Site

I like to think that the expansion of the universe is like zooming into a fractal.

It's expanding, always has been expanding, always will be expanding. There was no 'big bang', is no god, just new particles popping out of the quantum foam like graceful spirals from what appeared to be a single pixel of a Mandelbrot set; with our wiewport limited by the speed of light.

I like that idea, but it's probably not true.
Quote from: Karnewarrior
Jeeze. Any time I want to be sigged I may as well just post in this thread.
Quote from: Darvi
That is an application of trigonometry that never occurred to me.
Quote from: PTTG??
I'm getting cake.
Don't tell anyone that you can see their shadows. If they hear you telling anyone, if you let them know that you know of them, they will get you.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile

Preaching to the choir, man. TBH if we even make it through the 4bil years until the sun goes all omnomnom I will be surprised. If we make it that far though, we should be long gone out of the solar system, and probably far removed from the bipedal stacks of meat we currently are.
Aren't we supposed to run into another galaxy at some point in the astronomically near future? Forget how far out that one is...
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile

I like to think that the expansion of the universe is like zooming into a fractal.

It's expanding, always has been expanding, always will be expanding. There was no 'big bang', is no god, just new particles popping out of the quantum foam like graceful spirals from what appeared to be a single pixel of a Mandelbrot set; with our wiewport limited by the speed of light.

I like that idea, but it's probably not true.
I can guarantee that our view of the Universe will change completely in less than 50 years.
._.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile

Aren't we supposed to run into another galaxy at some point in the astronomically near future? Forget how far out that one is...
Andromeda. And yes, in about 3 billion years.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile

Yeah, we are due a merger with Andromeda conveniently in around 4billion years, just as the sun does its middle age spread... not because we are moving in "different directions", rather we are both moving away some "somewhere" (whatever that means in a cosmological sense) at different relative velocities - Andromeda is closing at around 100 km/sec. Though seeing as the stars in each galaxy are sufficiently spread it is highly unlikely there will be any colliding going on, rather a big fuck off gravitational smearing into some kind of mega-blob galaxy. Within the solar system, you probably would not really notice much happening, save for a few more stars in the sky over a few million year period

Darn RedNinjas.
This is a blank sig.
Pages: 1 ... 2345 2346 [2347] 2348 2349 ... 3345