Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2400 2401 [2402] 2403 2404 ... 3345

Author Topic: Things that made you RRRRRRAAAAGGGGEEEE today: Trust-o-nomics Edition  (Read 3420493 times)

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile

It's absolutely infuriating finding decent fitting clothes at a walmart in the south. Especially south texas. It's all either freaking huge or way too small. And for pants they're all made for short little midgets given I had the bad luck to end up being a tall.

It doesn't get better anywhere else, either. I have seen clothes shops selling pants with a waistline closer to 28" diameter than circumference, as the smallest size available. It's not even uncommon.

Aah, I know those feels. I've basically got a choice between going to the section for early teenaged boys to get stuff that's a proper fit on the waist and body but far too short on the legs and sleeves, or going to the men's section and finding that the smallest size available is XXL Wide Load. :|
Two words: vanity sizing.

It's pretty bad in paranormally skinny Italy, so in USA with its obesity (no offense) it must be absolutely horrible.

Somebody needs to teach clothes makers how to Statistics.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!

Over 50% of women and nearly 30% of men are obese in South Africa. The shop I was at was probably, disturbing though it is, justified in stocking those clothes.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile

I'm specifically talking about the usage in science fiction here.
You svinoi

Re: clothes.
If I grow any more I'll probably have to get fatter to find any pants that fit. The selection in my size is already fairly small. All of the tshirts I have are either Carhart or Element, because there are no other brands that make tshirts that fit me (without looking like a fool, anyway.)
Then again, I am very tall and thin. Thin in the lanky-teenager way. (which is exactly what I am :v)
« Last Edit: May 05, 2014, 10:40:41 am by miauw62 »

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Iceblaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 50% less in-jokes!
    • View Profile

I'm specifically talking about the usage in science fiction here.

You Bosh'tet!

:P

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile

He was specifically talking about RL swears being twisted in Sci Fi, not new, original swears.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

TD1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

My dad was fond of "Bastard." Since I saw this as him insulting himself, I never minded  :)

(I'm not actually a bastard, and my dad is very keen on the marriage before anything else thing)
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Iceblaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 50% less in-jokes!
    • View Profile

He was specifically talking about RL swears being twisted in Sci Fi, not new, original swears.

Well technically it's a replacement :P

Anyways, apologies. I saw humor in that so I went for it :P

TD1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Bastard IS a swearword...

Not in its original sense. It's not something crude like...err...Feck, it's just someone who is born out of wed-lock.
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

TD1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Not in its original sense. It's not something crude like...err...Feck, it's just someone who is born out of wed-lock.
Most words in their original sense aren't insulting.

Bitch originally meant female dog. Whilst it still does, it's also used as an insult.

Insults were probably born of non-insulting words.
Most certainly. And, as such, are only insulting if they are interpreted as such. I choose to look at bastard in its original sense, and as does my father. However, in case someone else finds it insulting, I don't sayit outside the family.
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile

Actually in its original sense it was insulting. Because having sex outside of marriage was something you weren't supposed to be caught doing.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

TD1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Yes, the original sense is birth outside marriage. That has since become much more acceptable. As such, in quite a few places the original sense is no longer a swear.
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

AlleeCat

• Bay Watcher
  • Black, the beast, descends from shadows...
    • View Profile

@replacement swears

They're a big pet peeve for me. You don't have to swear. It's very, very easy to not swear. But you know, you can just not say sentences that require swearing. You don't have to act like you're going to swear and then substitute another word for it. Just don't require it in the first place.

People voluntarily putting censorship and bleeping in their work (youtube mostly) bothers me more. I can understand to a point on live recorded stuff (though really, if you can't record anything live without swearing then maybe you shouldn't be trying to make family friendly videos that way). But on scripted things you can just not write swearing into your script.
I also hate the people who don't actually know how to bleep themselves correctly. They play the beep really loud in hopes of drowning out their curse words, and it just breaks eardrums and people can still hear the swear anyway. On TV, they actually dump the audio and play the bleep in place of it so that it's not just awkward silence.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile

I hate it when people censor themselves at all. You could just not swear at all and not need to insert an annoying tone. You should know when recording something whether or not swearing is appropriate to include.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile

I kinda wanna just binge on icecream and raocow now or something.

I first read that as icecream and raccoon.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

AlleeCat

• Bay Watcher
  • Black, the beast, descends from shadows...
    • View Profile

Well IIRC she does live in the South, so...
Pages: 1 ... 2400 2401 [2402] 2403 2404 ... 3345