Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2405 2406 [2407] 2408 2409 ... 3345

Author Topic: Things that made you RRRRRRAAAAGGGGEEEE today: Trust-o-nomics Edition  (Read 3428992 times)

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile

The better advice would be not to get everyone to stop shooting, but to make sure everyone has bulletproof skin.
D'you mind if I sig this, Mister Whispers?
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH

The better advice would be not to get everyone to stop shooting, but to make sure everyone has bulletproof skin.
Not at all!

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile

Respect, yes; censoring yourself on the off-chance something you say might be interpreted in an offensive manner, no.
Hell, if it's amongst friends you probably don't even need to be all that respectful.
If you're in public, you really should. If you're in private and know your full audience, maybe not.

Though I will point out, if you friends have problem with lack of respect for you, you might want to invest in better friends. I try to stay away from people who love to posture.

@LW

Honest question: Do you feel you have no social responsibility to anyone else online? And if so, can you give a reason other than "lol online" or the paradoxical "there are more people so it matters less"?

To yoink personally:

Do you agree with this for practical reasons, or do you defend people who shoot metaphorical bullets at others? (with or without intent, if that matters)
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Caz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:comforting whirs]
    • View Profile

When that happens, people will start bringing out the armor-piercing rounds. But this metaphor was stretched too far already.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH

Honest question: Do you feel you have no social responsibility to anyone else online? And if so, can you give a reason other than "lol online" or the paradoxical "there are more people so it matters less"?
I have no social responsibility to anyone else online, unless I put my social life online. An ethical responsibility I do have however.
On another note, I do not disagree with you because "there are more people so it matters less," I disagree with you because it is impossible to get a massive unmoderated community to know itself that well and tailor itself to being completely safe without utterly draining it of the sharp edges that made it or without intensive moderation.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile

To yoink personally:

Do you agree with this for practical reasons, or do you defend people who shoot metaphorical bullets at others? (with or without intent, if that matters)

Hmm. Both, I suppose- up to a point. Especially "without intent", the other option goes on a case-to-case basis.
The main reason I sigged it was simply for how odd it looks without context, however.
Booze is Life for Yoink

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile

In public, there are so many things to be offended by it is unbelievable. The same to the internet. There is no way,practically, to not offend everyone. So, be polite in whichever way you think appropriate, and try not to be offended if someone says something that wan't meant as such.

The world/internet will eat you alive if you get offended at the smallest things, it's better to just...loosen up a bit.

Dammit, LW. Your ninja stole my argument. I want it returned immediately.

@Caz: Then they'r deliberately trying to be offensive, and should be dealt with as such.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile

When that happens, people will start bringing out the armor-piercing rounds. But this metaphor was stretched too far already.

That... actually does work as a metaphor. O.o
AP rounds are clearly people intentionally trying to offend someone, whereas the plain ol' bullets are just normal conversation.

Edit: Wait, Dwarfy already said that. Never mind me, then.
Booze is Life for Yoink

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH

The world/internet will eat you alive if you get offended at the smallest things, it's better to just...loosen up a bit.
That's the beauty of it all, the places of the internet where you have true liberty to say what you want with zero restrictions. Even if not all can use it constructively, it is freedom!

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile

I have no social responsibility to anyone else online, unless I put my social life online. An ethical responsibility I do have however.
On another note, I do not disagree with you because "there are more people so it matters less," I disagree with you because it is impossible to get a massive unmoderated community to know itself that well and tailor itself to being completely safe without utterly draining it of the sharp edges that made it or without intensive moderation.
So you're saying it's an inevitability? Well that's not mutually exclusive with it being bad. And something can still be bad if every alternative is worse! (in which case it's an unfortunate necessity)

To yoink personally:

Hmm. Both, I suppose- up to a point. Especially "without intent", the other option goes on a case-to-case basis.
The main reason I sigged it was simply for how odd it looks without context, however.
I've already talked about being irresponsible can still hurt people, so I'll skip over that.

What situations are the metaphorical bullets okay? A few broad ones will do. (I'm really just curious)

In public, there are so many things to be offended by it is unbelievable. The same to the internet. There is no way,practically, to not offend everyone. So, be polite in whichever way you think appropriate, and try not to be offended if someone says something that wan't meant as such.
This doesn't mean we can't have some reasonable precautions. Again, we can debate what's reasonable or not, but I feel I'm debating against the idea that no precautions at all are acceptable.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2014, 04:23:16 pm by kaijyuu »
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Caz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

This doesn't mean we can't have some reasonable precautions.

What do you propose?

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile

This doesn't mean we can't have some reasonable precautions. Again, we can debate what's reasonable or not, but I feel I'm debating against the idea that no precautions at all are acceptable.
I am of the opinion that nobody should be worried about offending someone unless they are expressly told that they are doing so and should stop.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile

Working with my mom's boyfriend again.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile

This doesn't mean we can't have some reasonable precautions.

What do you propose?
Well, back to the original example:

Please only use "rape" in an academic sense or in company where you know it won't be an issue. It's not acceptable to use when talking about how you soundly defeated someone in a video game.

I might also include some slurs. Not many words past that, though.

I am of the opinion that nobody should be worried about offending someone unless they are expressly told that they are doing so and should stop.
You have no responsibility to consider others until they complain?

Caz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Working with my mom's boyfriend again.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Why is this unpleasant person still around? o-o
Pages: 1 ... 2405 2406 [2407] 2408 2409 ... 3345