Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2406 2407 [2408] 2409 2410 ... 3345

Author Topic: Things that made you RRRRRRAAAAGGGGEEEE today: Trust-o-nomics Edition  (Read 3428356 times)

Caz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:comforting whirs]
    • View Profile

This doesn't mean we can't have some reasonable precautions.

What do you propose?
Well, back to the original example:

Please only use "rape" in an academic sense or in company where you know it won't be an issue. It's not acceptable to use when talking about how you soundly defeated someone in a video game.

I might also include some slurs. Not many words past that, though.

Done.  *scribbles elaborate signatory*

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

* LordSlowpoke walks into thread

Quote from: thread
shit let's turn bay12 into r/pyongyang

* LordSlowpoke spins 360 degrees

* LordSlowpoke tap dances out

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH

This doesn't mean we can't have some reasonable precautions. Again, we can debate what's reasonable or not, but I feel I'm debating against the idea that no precautions at all are acceptable.
Not true, the individual who reads the information has plenty of precautions available to being able to block out offending information.

So you're saying it's an inevitability? Well that's not mutually exclusive with it being bad. And something can still be bad if every alternative is worse! (in which case it's an unfortunate necessity)
Might be awful, I don't suppose anyone would genuinely prefer everyone being abrasive and constructive as opposed to being polite and constructive. I've just seen so many places where attempts to make everything nice and non-offending has just failed miserably on all accounts the moment the userbase got massive, whereas personal freedom has thrived continuously even under growing communities.

*EDIT
JESUS CHRIST 6 NEW REPLIES SLOW DOWN PEOPLE

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile

I am of the opinion that nobody should be worried about offending someone unless they are expressly told that they are doing so and should stop.
You have no responsibility to consider others until they complain?
That sounds about right.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile

I've already talked about being irresponsible can still hurt people, so I'll skip over that.

What situations are the metaphorical bullets okay? A few broad ones will do. (I'm really just curious)

Well, if someone's done something to upset you, firing your metaphorical bullets is a perfectly human (and forgivable) thing to do.
If someone was part of a cause actively opposing a cause of your own, I suppose that'd work, too. Simply insulting someone because you feel like being a dick and making someone feel bad, or because they're different from you, would be a "douchebag/jerk" thing to do.

Working with my mom's boyfriend again.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
I think this guy seriously needs professional help.  :-\
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile

This doesn't mean we can't have some reasonable precautions. Again, we can debate what's reasonable or not, but I feel I'm debating against the idea that no precautions at all are acceptable.
Not true, the individual who reads the information has plenty of precautions available to being able to block out offending information.
I'm talking about responsibility to others, not responsibility to self.

I am of the opinion that nobody should be worried about offending someone unless they are expressly told that they are doing so and should stop.
You have no responsibility to consider others until they complain?
That sounds about right.
I can think of several examples where that logic would be absurd. Like, say, physical violence.

I'm expecting you to make an exception for harm caused by communication. If I'm right, please justify.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile

JESUS CHRIST 6 NEW REPLIES SLOW DOWN PEOPLE

SO MANY NEW REPLIES SO FAST THAT HALF OF THEM DIDN'T EVEN SHOW UP
Also there was a new reply even before I could load the General Discussion board again. O.o
Booze is Life for Yoink

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile

I'm of the opinion that free discussion categorically precedes an individual's discomfort at said discussions, but since inappropriate usage of  the word rape was brought up, you'll never guess what I just found in my inbox: Glenn Beck has strange ideals.

Additional Beck found here.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH

Well, if someone's done something to upset you, firing your metaphorical bullets is a perfectly human (and forgivable) thing to do.
If someone was part of a cause actively opposing a cause of your own, I suppose that'd work, too. Simply insulting someone because you feel like being a dick and making someone feel bad, or because they're different from you, would be a "douchebag/jerk" thing to do.
Everyone firing bullets at each other? And so begins the flame war...

The metaphor has gone full circle.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile

Done.  *scribbles elaborate signatory*
* kaijyuu signs :)

I've already talked about being irresponsible can still hurt people, so I'll skip over that.

What situations are the metaphorical bullets okay? A few broad ones will do. (I'm really just curious)

Righto~ I think I understand your position now.

I still disagree on some particulars, but I feel it's to the "agree to disagree" point. :) Thank you for the debate~
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile

In the case of rape, then use in academic circles is still possibly going to offend someone? You talking about it now could be offending people. Why don't you stop?

If you let these things grow, then it gets out of hand. Someone in a gaming circle doesn't know you have been raped. Ergo, it is not deliberately offensive, and therefore it shouldn't be taken as offensive because there was no real feeling behind it.

And I presume that is the reason you find it acceptable to talk about academically; because no one means it offensively.

Ahhh, whiler I read the four ninas, two more ninjas....ahahhhh

While I typed this another one...dfgnjdkrfgnkdfrgn
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH

I don't think we disagree there at all, at least on the moral standpoint of not being a dick to others in general.
What we disagree with is whether the methods to stop it are worth it.
Also good debate all round. Excellent example on civility guys.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile

I don't think we disagree there at all, at least on the moral standpoint of not being a dick to others in general.
What we disagree with is whether the methods to stop it are worth it.
Ah, okie dokie.

I'm a bit more optimistic. I feel we'll be able to move past being apes who assert social dominance through insults and vanity, at least someday. Can't tell you how that'll happen though.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile

Also good debate all round. Excellent example on civility guys.

Wot did you call me?!? I'm not a civil-tee, you toad-showering buttlump of an apathetic toilet roll!

Edit: GODDAMNIT. I keep starting new pages. I hate this.
I kinda wish there was a counter somewhere, showing the number of replies on a page... :-[
Booze is Life for Yoink

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

happy tred is ded

ussr tred is ded

this tred probly gonna b ded also

the fuck am i going to read on these forums
Pages: 1 ... 2406 2407 [2408] 2409 2410 ... 3345