Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2413 2414 [2415] 2416 2417 ... 3345

Author Topic: Things that made you RRRRRRAAAAGGGGEEEE today: Trust-o-nomics Edition  (Read 3441925 times)

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile

Man, I despise guns for the most part, but even I'd definitely encourage hunting overpopulated animals. Deer can be quite a problem here, too. Their numbers just explode if you don't keep them in check.
We should look to DF for inspiration: Build a very tall tower with a trapdoor, and lots of butchers and tanners clustered around below. Deer tallow biscuits for everyone!
I'll have a deer meat roast. I get fancy with my venison.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

IronTomato

• Bay Watcher
  • VENGEANCE
    • View Profile

Man, I despise guns for the most part, but even I'd definitely encourage hunting overpopulated animals. Deer can be quite a problem here, too. Their numbers just explode if you don't keep them in check.
We should look to DF for inspiration: Build a very tall tower with a trapdoor, and lots of butchers and tanners clustered around below. Deer tallow biscuits for everyone!
I'll have a deer meat roast. I get fancy with my venison.
Prepared deer brain.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile

The conservative estimates are that there are 1.5 million deer in Britain, and something like half to 60% should be shot each year. It's a little out of hand. The problem is they look at population numbers in a certain area and see it's stable, and think, 'ah, it's fine then'. But all the excess deer being created are just going into surrounding areas and eating the shit out of everything.

Oh dear god BBC news article comments. Ranging from 'cull EU immigrants as well!' to 'Cull humans instead, we do the most damage!' to 'Everyone who wants to hunt the deer are emotionally stunted psychos who just want to murder defenceless animals!'

Welp. Someone literally suggested that scientists are satanic because they want to use climate change to... kill deer for the evulz? What?

A lot of people suggest re-introducing wolves and bears. No thanks. I'd prefer to be able to go camping without the risk of waking up to being eaten by a grizzly.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile

The conservative estimates are that there are 1.5 million deer in Britain, and something like half to 60% should be shot each year. It's a little out of hand. The problem is they look at population numbers in a certain area and see it's stable, and think, 'ah, it's fine then'. But all the excess deer being created are just going into surrounding areas and eating the shit out of everything.

Oh dear god BBC news article comments. Ranging from 'cull EU immigrants as well!' to 'Cull humans instead, we do the most damage!' to 'Everyone who wants to hunt the deer are emotionally stunted psychos who just want to murder defenceless animals!'

Welp. Someone literally suggested that scientists are satanic because they want to use climate change to... kill deer for the evulz? What?

A lot of people suggest re-introducing wolves and bears. No thanks. I'd prefer to be able to go camping without the risk of waking up to being eaten by a grizzly.

Unfortunately, nature tends to not care what people do or don't like on their outdoor trips. The solution isn't a complete dismantling of an ecosystem. Also, if you [still] had bears and wolves in the areas there wouldn't be an overpopulation of deer... Just saying. Also bears are very unlikely to attack people. Moose are more dangerous than bears at most times of year.
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

Knit tie

• Bay Watcher
  • Consider avatar too slim until end of diet.
    • View Profile

Unfortunately, nature tends to not care what people do or don't like on their outdoor trips. The solution isn't a complete dismantling of an ecosystem. Also, if you [still] had bears and wolves in the areas there wouldn't be an overpopulation of deer... Just saying. Also bears are very unlikely to attack people. Moose are more dangerous than bears at most times of year.
Reintroduction of deer predators, such as wolves, is the most sensible option, so far. Contrary to what my iceaxing story might've insinuated, wolves almost never attack people, same for bears. And they keep the deer population in check with no outside help.

Also, the comments are eerily similar to what we get in Russia. I guess rabid animal rights activists are worldwide.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile

Best solution is to bioengineer a hyperpredator, then you only need to release a handful to keep the deer population in check.

Science: We're Helping!  :P

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile

Deer Vs. Predators? 0_o

And I'm all for reintroduction of wolves and such. As far as I know, wolves are probably less likely to kill you than a car.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile

Best solution is to bioengineer a hyperpredator, then you only need to release a handful to keep the deer population in check.

Science: We're Helping!  :P

What, give a man a gun and tell him to go nuts, you mean?

Where I grew up in South Wales had a serious deer problem - a few hundred years ago a local lord let a bunch roam free on his estate. Nowadays they are fucking everywhere in spring and summer - local schoolkids are roped in to tag newborns in order to work out how many need shooting to stop some kind of Bambi related apocalypse.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2014, 11:23:28 am by MonkeyHead »
This is a blank sig.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH

Contrary to what my iceaxing story might've insinuated, wolves almost never attack people, same for bears. And they keep the deer population in check with no outside help.
Wolves killed so many people in Britain that for 900 years straight every single monarch had always issued some sort of decree rewarding or ordering the destruction of wolves, as well as other things such as building stone hovels along all the roads to try and minimize the amount of travelers being eaten by wolves.
Fuck them, just get more guns.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

More guns? Yep, that's the solution. Make those who want guns be able to get them easier. I prefer a biological response to a biological problem. Wolves nowadays have been so persecuted by humans they stay away. Populations change attitudes over ages, even wolves.
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH

More guns? Yep, that's the solution. Make those who want guns be able to get them easier. I prefer a biological response to a biological problem. Wolves nowadays have been so persecuted by humans they stay away. Populations change attitudes over ages, even wolves.
Unless you mean biological weapons, as the Australians did with their rabit problem, no. We don't create beings that can turn on us.
I repeat, bioweapons [good], wolves [bad]. Do you know what has kept wolves away from Britain better than constant fear? Do you know how many wolf attacks there are now? Nought, because they're extinct.
In any case, humans with guns are a biological enough solution, deer is tasty. Coincidentally, humans are tasty to wolves too.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile

I prefer a biological response to a biological problem.

OK, engineering a supervirus.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile

I just want to eat the deer, guys.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

TD1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Do you know how many wolf attacks there were in North America in the last fifty years or so?

Nought. Zero. And they are not extinct.
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile

Do you know how many wolf attacks there were in North America in the last fifty years or so?

Nought. Zero. And they are not extinct.
Not exactly.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.
Pages: 1 ... 2413 2414 [2415] 2416 2417 ... 3345