Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2414 2415 [2416] 2417 2418 ... 3345

Author Topic: Things that made you RRRRRRAAAAGGGGEEEE today: Trust-o-nomics Edition  (Read 3428077 times)

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile

I'm probably just heavily biased in this issue. Deer are so adorable and just want to, like, eat berries and shit. It's not their fault they get overpopulated without natural predators and therefore become a 'nuisance' [Like the bears and wolves before them were considered..]

Note: I live in the northwest, where we have a history of very successful predator reintroductions into the wild, and having a positive impact on the ecosystems we've hunted to the breaking point.
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile

More guns? Yep, that's the solution. Make those who want guns be able to get them easier. I prefer a biological response to a biological problem. Wolves nowadays have been so persecuted by humans they stay away. Populations change attitudes over ages, even wolves.

Compromise.

The thing is, people here would treat the wolves like dogs. They'd try to pet them. They'd leave out food for them. Then they'd get hurt. Urban foxes are bad enough without having urban packs of wolves walking the streets.

Farmers would also be unhappy, having their flocks and sheepdogs eaten. No, much better to make it easier for those with guns to hunt deer. Clearing up a few misconceptions about firearms in britain might be a good thing, too.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH

I'm not joking about bioweapons being used against pest animal populations.

Bioweapons or hunting, they're the only acceptable ways.

Deer is delicious. Hunting doesn't stop anyone from eating it.

I prefer more guns for this reason.

Do you know how many wolf attacks there were in North America in the last fifty years or so?

Nought. Zero. And they are not extinct.
Well good for you, you live in a big fucking massive continent in its own right where there's plenty of room for wolves to bugger off and leave humans alone. About 40 attacks have occurred by wolves in North America, and in the last 10 years one of them was fatal. Britain has had a worse history with wolves, so fuck off with your fucking wolfaboo wolfing american wolf lobby you! FUCK!
NO!
WOLVES!

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile

More guns? Yep, that's the solution. Make those who want guns be able to get them easier. I prefer a biological response to a biological problem. Wolves nowadays have been so persecuted by humans they stay away. Populations change attitudes over ages, even wolves.

Compromise.

The thing is, people here would treat the wolves like dogs. They'd try to pet them. They'd leave out food for them. Then they'd get hurt. Urban foxes are bad enough without having urban packs of wolves walking the streets.

Farmers would also be unhappy, having their flocks and sheepdogs eaten. No, much better to make it easier for those with guns to hunt deer. Clearing up a few misconceptions about firearms in britain might be a good thing, too.

Is there some sort of anti-wolf propaganda that I'm unaware of existing that led to this..?

Yeah, a real non-viable solution to a completely fucked ecosystem is to fuck it more until everything is dead and no longer a nuisance..
« Last Edit: May 06, 2014, 11:40:00 am by Mictlantecuhtli »
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile

Do you know how many wolf attacks there were in North America in the last fifty years or so?

Well good for you, you live in a big fucking massive continent in its own right where there's plenty of room for wolves to bugger off and leave humans alone. About 40 attacks have occurred by wolves in North America, and in the last 10 years one of them was fatal. Britain has had a worse history with wolves, so fuck off with your fucking wolfaboo wolfing american wolf lobby you! FUCK!
NO!
WOLVES!

Do you need time to cool down?
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH

Is there some sort of anti-wolf propaganda that I'm unaware of existing that led to this..?
n France, historical records compiled by rural historian Jean-Marc Moriceau indicate that during the period 1362–1918, nearly 7,600 people were killed by wolves, of whom 4,600 were killed by non-rabid wolves.
lolololololololol
I'm just reading up about how awful wolves have been, much worse than I thought.

Do you need time to cool down?
Oi, don't take my steam. This is up on my list of passions including the hatred of katanas. Seriously, fuck wolves.

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile

NO!
WOLVES!

100% with you on this. More hunting does not also need to mean more guns in the hands of those who don't need them, too.
This is a blank sig.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile

I'll second what MonkeyHead said. You can only really shoot one gun at a time (unless you're Sigourney Weaver and have a roll of duct tape). You don't need to up-arm the population in order to have effective hunting seasons. Work out a system where the meat is donated to soup kitchens and the like (you frequently find that on a small. local scale in the US). You're alleviating two problems at the same time and giving a moral purpose to the hunting.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

DeKaFu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I'm probably just heavily biased in this issue. Deer are so adorable and just want to, like, eat berries and shit.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sQOQdBLHrLk

Also, I like wolves.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Not saying hunting should be discouraged. But the inevitable conclusion is that more guns will lead to more people with less than desirable traits owning them, be that one or a thousand. And it only takes one to do a lot of damage.

Historically, sure. But there, according to wikipedia, have only been "few historical records or modern cases of wolf attacks in North America. In the half-century up to 2002, there were eight fatal attacks in Europe and Russia, none in North America, and more than 200 in south Asia."

So. In the half-century up to 2002, there have been 8 fatal attacks in Russia and Europe? Scale that down to Britain.
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH

Also, I like wolves.
BLASPHEMY

So. In the half-century up to 2002, there have been 8 fatal attacks in Russia and Europe? Scale that down to Britain.
Few fatal attacks because most wolves are dead or low population. Scale that down to Britain, Britain is much more enclosed with little in the way of wild areas. Most of it is either city, or farmland or meadow.
Which means contact with humans will be frequent.
Kinda why they were exterminated in the first place.

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile

Not saying hunting should be discouraged. But the inevitable conclusion is that more guns will lead to more people with less than desirable traits owning them, be that one or a thousand. And it only takes one to do a lot of damage.

Historically, sure. But there, according to wikipedia, have only been "few historical records or modern cases of wolf attacks in North America. In the half-century up to 2002, there were eight fatal attacks in Europe and Russia, none in North America, and more than 200 in south Asia."

So. In the half-century up to 2002, there have been 8 attacks in Russia and Europe? Scale that down to Britain.

You have to scale up attacks when the area is constrained like the UK, due to the lack of livable land for such creatures and the fact that nature travelers gravitate towards the areas where the animals will be living anyway. But, once again, the reason for this is because of the fuckedness of the area already. If the UK had any semblance of environmental protection the solution to overpopulation of deer would be to possibly re-introduce the natural predators that were poached and hunted into extinction. You can even hunt these animals periodically, go figure.

Kinda why they were exterminated in the first place.

Or because British people can't handle nuisances and think they know better than nature. Wolves are a benefit, all around. Humans can and will always be able to take preventative measures against aggressive animals. There are forest services and national parks for a reason, as well.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2014, 12:02:28 pm by Mictlantecuhtli »

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile

Compromise.

Yeah, a real non-viable solution to a completely fucked ecosystem is to fuck it more until everything is dead and no longer a nuisance..

Correct. What you suggest is not a viable solution. The viable solution is to reduce the thing fucking it up until it's not fucking it up anymore.  Don't misrepresent, please.

NO!
WOLVES!

100% with you on this. More hunting does not also need to mean more guns in the hands of those who don't need them, too.

Hell yeah. No wolves. They're cool, but I don't think we should have them.

I thought you were saying earlier there had been no wolf attacks in NA in the last fifty years...?
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

TD1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

It appears there have been a few in more recent years, but for half a century there weren't.
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile

Correct. What you suggest is not a viable solution. The viable solution is to reduce the thing fucking it up until it's not fucking it up anymore.  Don't misrepresent, please.

I'll help you:

http://www.bbc.com/future/story/20140128-how-wolves-saved-a-famous-park

http://www.nps.gov/yell/naturescience/wolfrest.htm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wolf_reintroduction

Once again, the reason you have an overpopulation of 'nuisance' deer is because you exterminated their natural predators for being 'nuisances'. It's only a nuisance if it's handled incorrectly, as in UK. The reintroduction programs linked have all been successful. Murdering all the wolves in your lands, in fact, has not been as successful, as evidenced by the 'nuisance' deer.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2014, 12:06:50 pm by Mictlantecuhtli »

Pages: 1 ... 2414 2415 [2416] 2417 2418 ... 3345