Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2420 2421 [2422] 2423 2424 ... 3345

Author Topic: Things that made you RRRRRRAAAAGGGGEEEE today: Trust-o-nomics Edition  (Read 3438415 times)

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile

You're still going by the whole "humans are the most important creatures on Earth", thing. So yeah. Whatever.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Knit tie

• Bay Watcher
  • Consider avatar too slim until end of diet.
    • View Profile

I never would have thought that a topic about wolf reintroduction in Britian would be so inflammatory.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile

We're the only animals with civilisation so far, so kind of, yeah. If I had to choose between the life of a person and a deer, can't say there'd be much of a morale dilemma.

Could you choose, then?

----

It wasn't even about wolf reintroduction. It was about culling deer. Some people dislike the ide aof that, i guess.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Knit tie

• Bay Watcher
  • Consider avatar too slim until end of diet.
    • View Profile

As a biologist, I am firmly of opinion that wolf reintroduction is a good thing. Until then, though, you have to cull deer or else they will literally eat indigenous plant species into extinction.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile

They're also apparently killing about as many people per year as the wolves were (and almost certainly causing more property damage in the process). Good job breaking it, folks. You've managed to get deer to cause as many casualties as an apex predator.*

Way I figure it, UK should just go ahead and kill off all the deer, too. Sooner they make the island an unstable monoculture, the better. That way everyone else can point and laugh when its ecosystem collapses (the rest of the way).

*And having come to learn this, let's say I'm suddenly somewhat more suspicious as to the validity of the opinions of british citizens when it comes to wildlife management.

Because damn. That's a mark against what you're doing being the right thing to do, imo. Their choice, but I'm perfectly willing to say they should mismanage their natural resources to the fullest extent they're willing, and blatantly ignore everything they're doing when it comes to everywhere else.

Fakeedit: Though we could probably stand to have a dedicated thread for wildlife management, at this point.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

can do

how does one make discussion threads

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile

You take the thread, attach one end of it to a tin can, run across the street and attach the other end to another can.
Two people on opposite sides of the street talk into the can. BAM. Discussion thread.

Edit: Seriously though, I think such a topic would be pretty flamey. Probably not too far below religion, really.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile

You take the thread, attach one end of it to a tin can, run across the street and attach the other end to another can.
Two people on opposite sides of the street talk into the can. BAM. Discussion thread.

Edit: Seriously though, I think such a topic would be pretty flamey. Probably not too far below religion, really.

And now all the emotion threads are like two thousand cans connected together by a tentacle-monster made of thread.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile

They're also apparently killing about as many people per year as the wolves were (and almost certainly causing more property damage in the process). Good job breaking it, folks. You've managed to get deer to cause as many casualties as an apex predator.*

Way I figure it, UK should just go ahead and kill off all the deer, too. Sooner they make the island an unstable monoculture, the better. That way everyone else can point and laugh when its ecosystem collapses (the rest of the way).

*And having come to learn this, let's say I'm suddenly somewhat more suspicious as to the validity of the opinions of british citizens when it comes to wildlife management.

Because damn. That's a mark against what you're doing being the right thing to do, imo. Their choice, but I'm perfectly willing to say they should mismanage their natural resources to the fullest extent they're willing, and blatantly ignore everything they're doing when it comes to everywhere else.

roughly 15000 wolves in the US
roughly 1500000 deer in the UK
USA is 40 times the size of the UK
See the difference in scale? There's a lot of deer - and a lot less room - for them to get into road accidents and the like. But no, I suppose that means we shouldn't cull them (I'll be honest, not really getting the 'logic' here.) Or actually we should kill all of them, because there's no room for middle ground here! It's just us incompetent British people, amirite? We need the Americans to tell us what to do.

Sod it. Let's release wolves to eat the deer. Oh, look, there's now tons of wolves everywhere instead. Oh, is the deer population down? I wonder what they'll eat. Certainly not all the waste food available in towns. Or the flocks of sheep guarded by nothing but hedges. Or the campers, out in the moors by themselves.

You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile

It's nature. Proportions of wolves as compared to deer will rise and fall, dependent on each other.

And, is this seriously still being talked about? 0_o
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you RRRAAAAGGGGEEEE today: Fuck Nature Edition
« Reply #36325 on: May 07, 2014, 10:00:10 am »

British people must be indoctrinated early into the rabidly hating wolves for no reason spiel..
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

Caz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:comforting whirs]
    • View Profile
« Reply #36326 on: May 07, 2014, 10:02:58 am »

I want wolves in the UK :(

Seriously man... you go into the park these days and it's not unheard of to see a deer just chilling out. This is in the middle of town. Where do they come from?

Edit: Or just legalise hunting them. Yum venison.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36327 on: May 07, 2014, 10:12:34 am »

British people must be indoctrinated early into the rabidly hating wolves for no reason spiel..

Oh, quit! Just quit it. You don't accuse a modern German for trying to eradicate the Jews, so nor should you accuse Britain of eradicating wolves. It makes no sense.

There are those who want to reintroduce them. They have their reasons.
There are those who don't want to reintroduce them. They have their reasons.
In both cases, the reasons are not hate related. They're based on logic, and reason, and are valid insomuch as any opinion is valid. So just stop going to the fall-back of "Your nation hates wolves, so I am right!"
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36328 on: May 07, 2014, 10:14:42 am »

just stop replying

TD1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36329 on: May 07, 2014, 10:15:54 am »

just stop replying

Why? I don't mind a good discussion. It's the tone I don't like.
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread
Pages: 1 ... 2420 2421 [2422] 2423 2424 ... 3345