Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2504 2505 [2506] 2507 2508 ... 3345

Author Topic: Things that made you RRRRRRAAAAGGGGEEEE today: Trust-o-nomics Edition  (Read 3429309 times)

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you RRRAAAAGGGGEEEE today: DON'T ROLL A 1 Edition
« Reply #37575 on: June 02, 2014, 03:41:09 pm »

I had friends whose parents believed in "equal punishment".

When one did something bad, no matter what the other did, they would both be punished equally.
That actually makes sense. It means that one would be pressuring the other into not getting them punished.

In practice, they fought with each other because one did nothing and still got punished, so they retaliated against the one who did do wrong, which would get both into even more trouble.

This fairness extended to everything. If one got good grades and the other bad, they would both be treated as though they had done bad.

Lucky.
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #37576 on: June 02, 2014, 04:00:48 pm »

When one did something bad, no matter what the other did, they would both be punished equally.
That actually makes sense. It means that one would be pressuring the other into not getting them punished.

an eye for an eye makes the whole world blind?

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37577 on: June 02, 2014, 04:06:39 pm »

Nope, an eye for an eye was a very progressive philosophy at the time - an eye for an eye may make the whole world blind, but killing your father for an eye makes the whole world dead.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #37578 on: June 02, 2014, 04:09:37 pm »

Or it breeds resentment towards the parents and bonds the brothers together in blood, leading to their eventual rebellion and rise to ascendancy as the new chinese warlords of the 21st century.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #37579 on: June 02, 2014, 06:02:39 pm »

That sounds like something out of a military movie. Charming way to raise children.

Edit I should add, the one causing everyone to be punished invariably gets the shit kicked out of them in that scenario.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2014, 06:08:59 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #37580 on: June 02, 2014, 06:21:44 pm »

That sounds like something out of a military movie. Charming way to raise children.

Edit I should add, the one causing everyone to be punished invariably gets the shit kicked out of them in that scenario.
Malcolm  in the middle did this on their tv show to comedic effect, at one point having the boys decide the punishment of their brothers amongst themselves. Personally I remember losing all respect for one of my school teachers when they punished all the boys because someone didn't own up to stealing something. It just didn't work; none of us even resented the girls despite them being just as likely suspects and getting off scotch free,  this was a matter with the arbitrary punishments of the teachers,  there was nothing fair about it at all.
I suppose they thought we would turn on whoever was being accused of whatever misdemeanour,  but even when they punished all of us and all of us knew who was to blame we wouldn't turn on them, and no one snaked. Heck, the two things we agreed were verboten were picking fights with the siblings of others and being a grass.
All in all it's only charming in so far as building strong cohesion between children against outside authority, teaching that justice is only attained through loyalty amongst peers. Playground politics were srs bidnis.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #37581 on: June 02, 2014, 06:52:24 pm »

being a grass.

What's that?

And I suppose at the right age it can have a positive outcome. I think in middle school or high school you'd get a different outcome.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

The Darkling Wolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Arf!
    • View Profile
    • Cataclysm - Dark Days Ahead
« Reply #37582 on: June 02, 2014, 07:15:39 pm »

being a grass.

What's that?

And I suppose at the right age it can have a positive outcome. I think in middle school or high school you'd get a different outcome.
A snitch, a tout, a canary, a rat, a sneak, a nark, a whistleblower, a turncoat, other amusing words.
My cabbages!
[Thunderfury, Blessed Blade of the Windseeker]

I am fat, eating is my great joy.

kaenneth

• Bay Watcher
  • Catching fish
    • View Profile
    • Terrible Web Site
« Reply #37583 on: June 02, 2014, 07:16:09 pm »

being a grass.

What's that?

Squealer, fink, snitch, tattler, stoolie, narc, rat, etc.

edit: CURSE YOU!
Quote from: Karnewarrior
Jeeze. Any time I want to be sigged I may as well just post in this thread.
Quote from: Darvi
That is an application of trigonometry that never occurred to me.
Quote from: PTTG??
I'm getting cake.
Don't tell anyone that you can see their shadows. If they hear you telling anyone, if you let them know that you know of them, they will get you.

The Darkling Wolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Arf!
    • View Profile
    • Cataclysm - Dark Days Ahead
« Reply #37584 on: June 02, 2014, 07:17:42 pm »

Muehehehehe
My cabbages!
[Thunderfury, Blessed Blade of the Windseeker]

I am fat, eating is my great joy.

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #37585 on: June 02, 2014, 08:02:46 pm »

Why be a grass when you can be a venus flytrapper.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

IronTomato

• Bay Watcher
  • VENGEANCE
    • View Profile
« Reply #37586 on: June 02, 2014, 08:03:40 pm »

-snip-
What you need to do is grab them with tweezers RIGHT at the base. Alcohol, burning and such tends to make them vomit. If their mouth is inside you, they vomit your blood. And the blood of previous things they've bitten, including all the parasites and bacteria in those animals.

And you don't want to leave their head in you without their body. That makes it susceptible to infection.
I already know to grab them by the head. You act like I haven't dealt with the little bastards before. :P

Also, I don't burn them while they're still on me... pretty much everyone knows that's unsafe, vomit or no vomit. :P

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #37587 on: June 02, 2014, 09:11:14 pm »

-snip-
What you need to do is grab them with tweezers RIGHT at the base. Alcohol, burning and such tends to make them vomit. If their mouth is inside you, they vomit your blood. And the blood of previous things they've bitten, including all the parasites and bacteria in those animals.

And you don't want to leave their head in you without their body. That makes it susceptible to infection.
I already know to grab them by the head. You act like I haven't dealt with the little bastards before. :P

Also, I don't burn them while they're still on me... pretty much everyone knows that's unsafe, vomit or no vomit. :P
Jus' making sure.

You know, Toady ought to add that to DF. Giant ticks and tick men vomit if they are on fire.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37588 on: June 02, 2014, 09:42:35 pm »

Frankly, I wouldn't want to live in a world full of giant ticks either.

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #37589 on: June 02, 2014, 09:49:43 pm »

Frankly, I wouldn't want to live in a world full of giant ticks either.

One bit my legs off. It was only a flesh wound, but it felt like I was being repressed. I should go build over those huge tracts of land where he bit me. That would show him. None shall pass through that spot ever again. Of course, then all the robins wound run away. But what about the swallows? I should find their airspeed velocity using !!science!!.

But wait! How will I enter the City of the Swallows? I could build a giant rabbit, but I'd probably forget to hide inside and they'd catapult it at me.

Ah well.
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.
Pages: 1 ... 2504 2505 [2506] 2507 2508 ... 3345