Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2531 2532 [2533] 2534 2535 ... 3345

Author Topic: Things that made you RRRRRRAAAAGGGGEEEE today: Trust-o-nomics Edition  (Read 3417875 times)

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you RRRAAAAGGGGEEEE today: Love Thy Roommate Edition
« Reply #37980 on: June 10, 2014, 04:54:54 pm »

Was never like that in my parents' times.

Wrong.

I'm not saying anything about you, just that that's wrong. For example, in my parents' time/place, there were more rampage killings than there are now. Anyone who says that things were better in their time simply hasn't looked up the statistics from their time.

Things are not getting progressively worse, they're getting progressively better. Research is important, don't just point to things as examples. That's what we call "anecdotal evidence" and it's completely inadmissable for discourse.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #37981 on: June 10, 2014, 04:58:55 pm »

Wrong.

I'm not saying anything about you, just that that's wrong. For example, in my parents' time/place, there were more rampage killings than there are now. Anyone who says that things were better in their time simply hasn't looked up the statistics from their time.

Things are not getting progressively worse, they're getting progressively better. Research is important, don't just point to things as examples. That's what we call "anecdotal evidence" and it's completely inadmissable for discourse.

It's a fair point. But have we broken out frequency yet? Because just eyeballing that list sorted by date, the incidents of rampage violence showed gaps of years in the US. We can't exactly say that since the 2000s for the US.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #37982 on: June 10, 2014, 04:59:14 pm »

When the fuck will this kind of shit stop.

It's not like it's somehow a feature of the modern age.

I'd argue it is. There were not weekly instances of people/kids opening fire in places full of defenseless victims in the 50s.

And no, that isn't a "Golden Age" argument. It's a retort to people who want to dismiss the violence we're experiencing as normal, because it's that kind of apathy that assures nothing ever changes.

Deadliest school attack so far? 1927. And conversely, the highest mass murder rate was in 1929.

Now, you do have a point, partially, in that undeniably, there has been a shift in the usual form of the mass shootings since 1960s, but there's a very simple reason for that: improving communication devices combined with the nature of the modern mass shootings, which basically work on a positive feedback loop - the killers want publicity, and the more bunched together events are the more notorious they are.

E: At above post: There was an upsurge in 20's/30's, a winding down in 40's/50's, then a growth since 60's with a peak in the 90's, another winding down in the Oughties, and a jump again.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2014, 05:01:33 pm by scrdest »
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
« Reply #37983 on: June 10, 2014, 05:09:03 pm »

Solution to get rid of school shootings: abort every US child for the next 18 years.

PROGRESS! :P
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #37984 on: June 10, 2014, 05:10:12 pm »

Or concentration camps.

Either would be morally bankrupt and worse than the problem. Still, they are still technically solutions.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #37985 on: June 10, 2014, 05:23:07 pm »

Wrong.

:v
It's wrong probably in your area--it's right in mine given that I did my research in the Philippine setting.
I'm not American, for one.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37986 on: June 10, 2014, 05:46:57 pm »

So I just found the largest dead spider yet, centrally located in what I now consider the arachnid expressway of my home.

The thing was almost the size of a quarter when curled up, and big enough to be fuzzy. God bless Ortho Home Defense, but now I'm feeling like the only thing between me and shit like that is a 4-inch strip of chemical sprayed in what I assume to be the most likely entrance point. Clearly it's working, but only for a few months.

The really need to get the fucking floor rebuilt in here. I found a cockroach this weekend, full size, chilling on the wall. That's a new one, and he clearly gives no fucks about Ortho. For the moment, there's just two gaping holes to the underbelly of the home and the outside, and plenty of stuff seems happy to come in through there.

This is me, pretty much every day, walking into my basement: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ONUe58qtjjs
« Last Edit: June 10, 2014, 05:51:57 pm by nenjin »
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #37987 on: June 10, 2014, 06:42:13 pm »

spam404?

I don't really want to google it just in case, but what is it?
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

KingofstarrySkies

• Bay Watcher
  • It's been a long time...
    • View Profile
« Reply #37988 on: June 10, 2014, 06:49:57 pm »

I'll take the bullet for you, Despair. Let's see what the muck this shizznit is, shall we?

Hm. It appears to be something you use to fix spam...I think. I can't tell.
Sigtextastic
Vereor Nox.
There'll be another King, another sky, and a billion more stars...

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Titled changed to help distinguish the thread from the current iteration of the Happy thread. Also possibly the noise I make occasionally in my basement. Out of fear or rage, it isn't entirely clear.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile

You monster!

You'll wake the spider babies!
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile

If they refuse to keep their parents out of sight, they don't get to sleep.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile

I had thought that this day couldn't get much worse. Oh how wrong I was.

Shorts, why do you betray me? Why did you tear open such a large hole when I'm 200 miles from home?  >8C
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

The interesting part is, how many potential people might use it?

-Trolls, who dislike a youtuber and get a takedown issued?
-Competitors, who kill a strong youtube video by getting a takedown issued?
-Random guy with the knowledge and means to create something like that, just as an experiment?
-Actual salaried employees of a media conglomerate, protecting their company's IP as a 3rd party, and effectively crowd sourcing enforcement?

It's a pretty fucked up place out there in the e-commerce world.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #37994 on: June 10, 2014, 08:45:13 pm »

Solution to get rid of school shootings: abort every US child for the next 18 years.

PROGRESS! :P
... There IS that idea that crime rates declined about 20~odd years on from when abortion became legal... >______>
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.
Pages: 1 ... 2531 2532 [2533] 2534 2535 ... 3345