Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2556 2557 [2558] 2559 2560 ... 3345

Author Topic: Things that made you RRRRRRAAAAGGGGEEEE today: Trust-o-nomics Edition  (Read 3442113 times)

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you RRRRRRAAAAGGGGEEEE today: Dig Deep Edition
« Reply #38355 on: June 16, 2014, 10:31:04 pm »

See, that bothers me.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #38356 on: June 16, 2014, 10:31:32 pm »

I would... disagree rather strongly that you can teach respect of authority with violence. You can teach fear of authority with violence -- easily, along with resentment of, anger toward, and so on -- but respect takes... y'know, more than that. Something whose power comes from violence isn't a thing to be respected, it's a ruddy environmental hazard. That's not something of merit, it's something to be manipulated and worked around. Fear and respect are incredibly bloody different, and insofar as I've seen they're more inimical to each other than anything else. You can see it really ruddy easy in places with a corrupt police force, if you're looking for a real world example.

You teach respect of authority through proof the authority is warranted -- demonstrated expertise, effectiveness, insight, and so on. Known risk, in the case of more negative respect like what is (or, at least, should be) shown towards dangerous but useful things such as firearms and vehicles -- and even then, that's only a facsimile of respect because of their positive capabilities. If it weren't for those, the damned things would definitely not get something you could call respect, and they'd get a hell of a lot more if that risk didn't exist. But I'd honestly say you could cook up a second word for that sort of respect and have a more accurate language left over -- they're significantly different things, and the former is the only thing I'd call genuine respect. The latter is just something we dress up useful things that can kill us with, presumably so we don't view them as negatively as we probably should.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #38357 on: June 16, 2014, 10:37:00 pm »

My parents would spank me when I was a disrespectful little sod, and it didn't turn me into a psychopath. That came about years later.
Anecdotes don't add to discussions that are expected to influence future behavior.
I'm countering a claim made a page or so back that hitting children when they misbehave teaches them that they can ignore consequences if they ignore pain. Which might be true, if your only method of punishment is a slap/spank/whatever. As far as I'm concerned, it's an effective complement to things like confiscating toys or unplugging the TV, especially at times when the misbehaviour has nothing to do with that kind of thing.
((Does confiscating toys count as pain? Sure. If you deny your children anything, they will become a psychopath!))

No, anecdotes aren't the most efficient way of getting your point across, but they're memorable and quick to recount. Most people can read it and see the general point I'm making.

Fakeedit: I agree with what Frumple just said. Mostly. But fearing the consequences of actions (that is, the metaphorical sword of authority) in an important part of maintaining order.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #38358 on: June 16, 2014, 11:04:39 pm »

Respect for authority through violence? Depends on the person and the type of violence. Mainly however, no. But a spank isn't going to hurt that much. The immediacy of the shock and pain makes the moment memorable, and therefore the lesson memorable. Some boy kicks you in the shin, and you say "Don't do that again" isn't going to have quite as much effect, and the lesson may even be forgotten within minutes, if it was learned at all.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

kisame12794

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Arc Welder!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #38359 on: June 16, 2014, 11:15:52 pm »

So, essentially, learning not to touch a hot stove because it burns you?
The non-assholes vastly outnumber the assholes but the assholes can fart with greater volume.
((You're an arm and a torso in low orbit. This was the best possible resolution of things.))

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #38360 on: June 16, 2014, 11:34:26 pm »

So, essentially, learning not to touch a hot stove because it burns you?
Yeah, I guess. It's more effective that just trusting the word of some other person. There will always be that doubt - Will the stove burn me? Is it really that hot?
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38361 on: June 16, 2014, 11:36:28 pm »

Other things to teach people: "Don't kick people, because that hurts them. Use your words if you don't like something, like I am right now."
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #38362 on: June 17, 2014, 12:24:56 am »

There's a difference between "beating up" and constructive discipline. He needs discipline of some sort, whether the form of the guilt-trip or Tiruin's slipper. But he seems to have a problem with authority, and so I would go more towards Tiruin's Holy Slipper of Justice.

Respect for authority can't be taught through violence, and certainly not through abusing authority.
o-o
It...pretty much can. Or...what do you mean by violence? o_O
I agree with Tiruin on this. You definitely can teach respect for authority through violence.
.___.
I misread that as 'Respect for authority can't be taught without violence.'
Err, yeah. Replace that with my answer.
> 'It pretty much can.'
 :-\ oops

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #38363 on: June 17, 2014, 05:50:59 am »

Found an exploit in time travel system. It allows you to get units from the future at only the cost of 1 chronoport for a limited amount of time without actually producing them. The only requirements for that seems to be the control of the factory at the departure point and the resources for the chronoport at the point of arrival. Though maybe I can call it a feature, it still isn't very nice.
._.

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #38364 on: June 17, 2014, 06:29:18 am »

Found an exploit in time travel system. It allows you to get units from the future at only the cost of 1 chronoport for a limited amount of time without actually producing them. The only requirements for that seems to be the control of the factory at the departure point and the resources for the chronoport at the point of arrival. Though maybe I can call it a feature, it still isn't very nice.
You should make a thread in Creative Projects where you post all the rules, because I'd totally like to see them. Then we could also help you debug your system.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #38365 on: June 17, 2014, 07:49:54 am »

I got the odd half-hearted slap from my mum when I was driving her insane (My brother and I when younger never shut up during the night, and kept the house awake) but usually she just had to be disappointed in me, and then I'd feel guilty and try to fix it. No physical violence at all.

I understand that doesn't work for everyone, hence why I believe that spoiled brat needs sense knocked into him. Not badly, but enough so he doesn't get worse from a stranger later.

Personally, I find that the people most in need of a good beating are those who wish others to be beat up. Just to teach them what idiots they are.
Must have been tired to miss it, but if you beat people on the basis that they beat people, you'll have to beat yourself.

Congratulations! You got the point.
Love, scriver~

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #38366 on: June 17, 2014, 08:09:19 am »

Either my GPU went boom or my drivers are corrupt/outdated and I can't tell which, because my GPU is so old (2009 Q3) thr official AMD site no longer supports downloading the correct driver. :/

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38367 on: June 17, 2014, 08:13:27 am »

gpu from q2 2005 reporting the fuck in and the correct drivers are still supported

it's an nvidia though

anyway you're saying you don't keep your hardware drivers stored someplace where you can't lose them too easily...?

eh suppose i shouldn't judge but you can potentially just try every single version at random and see which one works best

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #38368 on: June 17, 2014, 08:15:49 am »

It's AMD Radeon 56xx series. I've decided to just get the driver from a third party website. What would be the worst? :P

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #38369 on: June 17, 2014, 08:16:02 am »

I got the odd half-hearted slap from my mum when I was driving her insane (My brother and I when younger never shut up during the night, and kept the house awake) but usually she just had to be disappointed in me, and then I'd feel guilty and try to fix it. No physical violence at all.

I understand that doesn't work for everyone, hence why I believe that spoiled brat needs sense knocked into him. Not badly, but enough so he doesn't get worse from a stranger later.

Personally, I find that the people most in need of a good beating are those who wish others to be beat up. Just to teach them what idiots they are.
Must have been tired to miss it, but if you beat people on the basis that they beat people, you'll have to beat yourself.

Congratulations! You got the point.

* Th4DwArfY1  does a flourishing bow in acceptance of the congratulations.

Why thank you! Tiredness combined with me not expecting you to say something stupid as a joke has come together to form something good! Who'da thought?
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread
Pages: 1 ... 2556 2557 [2558] 2559 2560 ... 3345