Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2670 2671 [2672] 2673 2674 ... 3345

Author Topic: Things that made you RRRRRRAAAAGGGGEEEE today: Trust-o-nomics Edition  (Read 3427761 times)

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you RRRRRRAAAAGGGGEEEE today: ZIP DAT SHIT YO Edition
« Reply #40065 on: July 22, 2014, 01:01:30 pm »

Was playing TF2.
In the middle of a MvM round.
Mom calls me, tells me to go do something.
Do it, come upstairs, continue.
She calls me again to go to something.
Rinse and repeat.
Then, she tells me to download some pictures from her phone and upload them to do something in a certain website.
I start doing it.
She comes up.
Takes computer away to finish job.
Tell her to hurry up.
She laughs at me.
Maybe MvM is bad luck for you? vOv

Maybe your parents know how much you do MvM and are trying to break you out of it by conspiring to separate you from the computer as much as possible. vOv

stop using vOv

you are not allowed to do so anymore

TrollZeGamer

• Bay Watcher
  • I love the wiener song from south park!
    • View Profile
« Reply #40066 on: July 22, 2014, 01:02:12 pm »

Makes me rage like the FUCKING HULK when youtube buffers the whole video, but when i try to skip ahead, IT. FUCKING. REBUFFERS. THE. WHOLE. DAMN. VIDEO. >:(

Reverie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40067 on: July 22, 2014, 01:02:46 pm »

He can do it if he wants!
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Worldmaster27

• Bay Watcher
  • Doop
    • View Profile
« Reply #40068 on: July 22, 2014, 01:03:17 pm »

It is too late.

It has already been assimilated.

vOv

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #40069 on: July 22, 2014, 01:04:00 pm »

Bullshit, I've got the assumption that somebody thought it was profitable, and the source is that they did it.

You might be surprised to find out that everything corporations do doesn't become immediately profitable upon execution. Or maybe it could even be a bad idea and completely unprofitable. That's why I'm telling you to be a bit patient, it'll be gone soon enough. Otherwise we'd have actual Starcraft tournaments on ESPN. It's a publicity and pandering thing.
People can think a thing without being correct, you know.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #40070 on: July 22, 2014, 01:04:33 pm »

Bullshit, I've got the assumption that somebody thought it was profitable, and the source is that they did it.

You might be surprised to find out that everything corporations do doesn't become immediately profitable upon execution. Or maybe it could even be a bad idea and completely unprofitable. That's why I'm telling you to be a bit patient, it'll be gone soon enough. Otherwise we'd have actual Starcraft tournaments on ESPN. It's a publicity and pandering thing.
But... I'm not saying it is profitable. It's not at all surprising to me that things take time to pay off, or can be complete mistakes. I'm not even slightly invested in it remaining a thing! Where are you getting the idea that any of these things apply?

You asked why it's considered a sport. The answer is that somebody thinks it will pay off at some point. The evidence that somebody thinks this is that it was done - after all, the reason for everything a corporation does is because they think it will pay off.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #40071 on: July 22, 2014, 01:06:59 pm »

Well, first off, people are argueing that relevant people think it will be profitable. Or maybe it's just Dota trying to buy some popularity, I don't know.

And Starcraft stopped being relevant a couple of years ago. It sort of failed at being a long term e-sports phenomena.

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile
« Reply #40072 on: July 22, 2014, 01:07:13 pm »

ψ(`∇´)ψ

Am I doing it right?
What can mysteriously disappear can mysteriously reappear
*Shakes fist at TamerVirus*

Reverie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40073 on: July 22, 2014, 01:08:00 pm »

I didn't even know Dota was popular enough to be televised, like, at all.

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #40074 on: July 22, 2014, 01:09:22 pm »

You asked why it's considered a sport in comparison to other video games.

Context helps. Once again, what is different about DOTA2 in comparison to the other long-running tournaments in competitive video games? Nothing. If there was profit in this, ESPN would have been showing Starcraft tournaments years ago. It's pandering because it's a hyped up MOBA. I'd be surprised if they actually gained viewers instead of losing them overall during the showing, honestly.

I also find the notion that the popularity of something correlates to it's sport-ness completely ridiculous, because if this were the case we'd not consider Curling a sport because it's got less viewership than the other *real* sports.

Turkish oil wrestling is a sport. Playing DOTA2, or any video game, is not. Despite popularity.
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #40075 on: July 22, 2014, 01:12:16 pm »

If there was profit in this, ESPN would have been showing Starcraft tournaments years ago
Context helps. They think there's profit in it now. That means that, in the past, they either thought there was no profit, or they hadn't thought about it at all.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #40076 on: July 22, 2014, 01:12:54 pm »

It could even be a publicity trick. You know, possibly.

Possibly.

No, really, that's what it boils down to. We're talking about DOTA2, the dried out husk of a MOBA, right now. I guarantee ESPN didn't make a profit on this showing, and if they did I'll eat one of my shoes. Boiled.
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #40077 on: July 22, 2014, 01:14:09 pm »

Which, yeah, comes down to somebody thinking there's profit here. So we're finally in agreement?

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #40078 on: July 22, 2014, 01:15:56 pm »

You're the only one I see implying they made a profit. I guarantee they didn't. You also keep dancing around why DOTA2 is more of a sport than, hm, LoL? Or are you stuck on popularity = sportness?

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #40079 on: July 22, 2014, 01:17:30 pm »

Some confusing "thinking they can make a profit" with "making a profit" :P
Pages: 1 ... 2670 2671 [2672] 2673 2674 ... 3345