Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2671 2672 [2673] 2674 2675 ... 3345

Author Topic: Things that made you RRRRRRAAAAGGGGEEEE today: Trust-o-nomics Edition  (Read 3425865 times)

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you RRRRRRAAAAGGGGEEEE today: ZIP DAT SHIT YO Edition
« Reply #40080 on: July 22, 2014, 01:18:27 pm »

Unless they didn't expect to. Because it's a publicity stunt. That might be crazy to think about, I know.
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #40081 on: July 22, 2014, 01:18:34 pm »

You're the only one I see implying they made a profit.
He's not.

Publicity is all about profit, too, anyway.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #40082 on: July 22, 2014, 01:20:17 pm »

No, I'm implying they think they will make a profit.

Publicity stunts are about making profits. How can you possibly not be aware of that.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #40083 on: July 22, 2014, 01:20:31 pm »

Unless they didn't expect to. Because it's a publicity stunt. That might be crazy to think about, I know.
Maybe profit isn't the best way of describing the effect of a successful publicity stunt, but it's pretty much the same thing anyway. Just a little more long term.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #40084 on: July 22, 2014, 01:24:16 pm »

Turkish oil wrestling is a sport. Playing DOTA2, or any video game, is not. Despite popularity.
That's a helluva' claim considering there's not really meaningful difference between them. Competitive game requiring practice and physical skill. DotA's as much a sport as target shooting. Moreso, I'd say.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #40085 on: July 22, 2014, 01:25:57 pm »

Apparently, chess is a sport, or so I'm told. Somebody's got a few screws loose.

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #40086 on: July 22, 2014, 01:27:45 pm »

No, I'm implying they think they will make a profit.

Publicity stunts are about making profits. How can you possibly not be aware of that.

> They think they can make a profit off of video game tournaments
Implied, but not proven nor provable until a specific statement or filing digging. We are not sure what the ESPN management's idea behind it was. We have 15 years of video game tournaments to go by, so I don't think they started doing this one because *this* one makes money on views. Feel free to correct me whenever these facts are out.
> They think they can profit off of added publicity
I'm guaranteeing it's because of the anti-nerd pro-nerd pro-sport anti-definition cascading arguements across twitter. Anger, curiousity, confusion, 'what's playing on ESPN' 'ESPN x' is the motivation. ESPN does this from time to time.

These two are mutually exclusive. Which is why ESPN shows non-sports like this, kicking a hornet's nest is a good way to make buzz. Just because they used something to generate anger doesn't mean this thing is now sport-worthy. If that were the case then we must consider every competitive video game a sport. Unless, of course, this definition of 'sport' is limited by popularity. Which isn't how sports work.

That's a helluva' claim considering there's not really meaningful difference between them. Competitive game requiring practice and physical skill. DotA's as much a sport as target shooting. Moreso, I'd say.

Okay. Then every video game is now a sport. Happy? And yes, there's a large, large difference in the two. One requires you to sit and remember how to best build every hero, and is hardly even a strategy video game. One requires you to work out, train, practice techniques to not hurt people, build up your endurance.

The similarities are superficial, and anyone claiming otherwise disparages the work that real athletes do.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2014, 01:30:28 pm by Mictlantecuhtli »
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Reverie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40087 on: July 22, 2014, 01:29:41 pm »

Apparently, chess is a sport, or so I'm told. Somebody's got a few screws loose.
I draw the line at chess, personally. Poker is hovering near the line too.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #40088 on: July 22, 2014, 01:30:16 pm »

These two are mutually exclusive.
They really aren't. You're just telling me they win either way.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #40089 on: July 22, 2014, 01:31:26 pm »

These two are mutually exclusive.
They really aren't. You're just telling me they win either way.

You still haven't explained to me what video games are and aren't sports now, I'd appreciate clarification on if it's just DOTA2.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #40090 on: July 22, 2014, 01:31:57 pm »

Video games, compared to real life sports, are subject to patches which can completely change the meta-game. So I can see the problem with considering them equal to target shooting or something else like that.

Chess is a sport because it's rules change reeeeeally slow over the ages. The same can be said of poker.

DOTA 2, though? The game where the patches tend to add completely new heroes and change ALL THE THINGS? Nope.
._.

Willfor

• Bay Watcher
  • The great magmaman adventurer. I do it for hugs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #40091 on: July 22, 2014, 01:32:28 pm »

Please take this derail elsewhere because it's generating rage instead of solving it. God. Damn.
In the wells of livestock vans with shells and garden sands /
Iron mixed with oxygen as per the laws of chemistry and chance /
A shape was roughly human, it was only roughly human /
Apparition eyes / Apparition eyes / Knock, apparition, knock / Eyes, apparition eyes /

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #40092 on: July 22, 2014, 01:35:18 pm »

You still haven't explained to me what video games are and aren't sports now, I'd appreciate clarification on if it's just DOTA2.
Oh, that's what you're after? Sorry, I misunderstood.

I don't care enough to construct a good definition of what qualifies as a sport, so I'll leave you to it. It's a... really nebulous problem, given that it's a fairly arbitrary concept. Good luck!

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40093 on: July 22, 2014, 01:38:44 pm »

This generally refers to "sports" in terms of "organized skill-and-ability-based competitions", which has been a growing and (fairly) non-controversial use of the term since the 1990s or so with the rise of things like "mind sports", "e-sports", and the like.

Arguably, the popularity of vehicle racing being considered a "traditional" sport (which isn't really much of a physical challenge, though it's certainly a skill-based one) naturally leads to that sort of understanding of the term, and that happened well before the 1990s.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2014, 01:40:45 pm by GlyphGryph »

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #40094 on: July 22, 2014, 01:40:06 pm »

I'm unsure why the vague label of sport creates such argument. "This is a sport, this isn't a sport" does it really matter? It was a thing, that was broadcast, that people enjoyed watching.
And, I would say DOTA occurred first in this case because it was a rather large event, with a significant prize pool, and a large professional scene lending it credibility.
This. I don't see why it's so hard to believe ESPN decided to broadcast it because it's a one time event with a huge prize-pool. Plus it was put on ESPN2, which is specifically for "odd" sports like chess or poker or whatever.
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.
Pages: 1 ... 2671 2672 [2673] 2674 2675 ... 3345