Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2835 2836 [2837] 2838 2839 ... 3345

Author Topic: Things that made you RRRRRRAAAAGGGGEEEE today: Trust-o-nomics Edition  (Read 3442281 times)

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you RRRRRRAAAAGGGGEEEE today: "Fuck it, to the Woods" Edition
« Reply #42540 on: September 02, 2014, 11:07:19 pm »

Whether it be in meatspace or cyberspace, I just can't seem to come out younger than other people. Just today I got a guess of twenty-three, mere moments after confirming I was underage.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you RRRRRRAAAAGGGGEEEE today: "Fuck it, to the Woods" Edition
« Reply #42541 on: September 02, 2014, 11:08:22 pm »

Don't worry about it, Vector is literally a genius.
Yes, but everyone keeps telling me that I'm literally a genius. And now I can't live up to an acceptable level of geniosity. (It's a word, damn it)
Welcome to the "Geniuses who don't live up to Vector" club. Concessions are next to the coat closet, just past the wailing wall.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
  • But, really, it's divine. Divinely tiresome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #42542 on: September 02, 2014, 11:10:55 pm »

This is Bay 12, are we seriously having a 'My IQ is bigger than yours' moment?  What the fuck bay watchers.  MENSA rated me at 180 in third grade, and between 200 and 240 in high school.  I still didn't do my fucking homework, passed every single test at better than 95%, and failed out only to get a GED on my first try, then blew it joining the Army and got two smashed knees, damaged hips, spine and neck for my trouble.  Genius is meaningless, comparative education is meaningless, the only thing that matters is what you do with it. /RAGE
Grey morality is for people who wish to avoid retribution for misdeeds.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #42543 on: September 02, 2014, 11:12:38 pm »

That was actually the first mention of IQ in this discussion. I'm mostly having a panic attack because I can't live up to my own superiority complex.

* II collapses into a catatonic heap on the floor.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42544 on: September 02, 2014, 11:15:25 pm »

This is Bay 12, are we seriously having a 'My IQ is bigger than yours' moment?  What the fuck bay watchers.  MENSA rated me at 180 in third grade, and between 200 and 240 in high school.  I still didn't do my fucking homework, passed every single test at better than 95%, and failed out only to get a GED on my first try, then blew it joining the Army and got two smashed knees, damaged hips, spine and neck for my trouble.  Genius is meaningless, comparative education is meaningless, the only thing that matters is what you do with it. /RAGE

My IQ's lower than yours by a few standard deviations, so fuck you too :3 More seriously, I brought that up because I was talking about "New Kindergarten" from the perspective of someone who wasn't learning anything from it. I thought it was interesting that I'm a few years older than MSH, but I still got New Kindergarten instead of Old Kindergarten.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #42545 on: September 02, 2014, 11:16:22 pm »

You've got to realize, though, that Vector works way, way harder than anyone else on the planet, basically, to use those genius talents. Already published author, co-founder of a video game startup, degree in mathematics, etc, etc? Not even in late 20s yet? Yeah, she works way harder than 99.99999% of people.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #42546 on: September 02, 2014, 11:18:34 pm »

Okay, Past Bauglir, you're clearly lacking adequate thinking chops compared to Past Vector. Present Bauglir, I am going to have to work your ass off in order to give Future Bauglir a chance of catching up to Future Vector. Good luck.

Yes I am a monster of pride what of it
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #42547 on: September 02, 2014, 11:20:17 pm »

So if I achieve all that before 25, I can finally consider myself superior?
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #42548 on: September 02, 2014, 11:21:44 pm »

So if I achieve all that before 25, I can finally consider myself superior?
Nope. Sorry. You're not working against the hostile working environment in all of those fields, unless there's something you haven't told us (or I've assumed wrong.)
Note, I am being a smartass. We're all B12ers here. We don't need to compare ourselves to one another to measure worth. Just be happy with yourself, dudes and dudettes.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2014, 11:23:22 pm by MaximumZero »

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #42549 on: September 02, 2014, 11:22:42 pm »

You will only be superior when you have crushed the sensate degenerate plebs into the ground beneath your feet and forced them to follow your vision through the only language such wretches understand. m'lady
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #42550 on: September 02, 2014, 11:24:55 pm »

You're telling me to get a sex change?

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #42551 on: September 02, 2014, 11:26:15 pm »

You will only be superior when you have crushed the sensate degenerate plebs into the ground beneath your feet and forced them to follow your vision through the only language such wretches understand. m'lady
You callin' me a fedora? Don't make me fire up the time machine for a paddlin'. :P

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #42552 on: September 02, 2014, 11:29:36 pm »

This parenting shit is hard.

Parenting is indeed fucking hard. 

Edit:  Holy shit ninjas... added quote for context...
« Last Edit: September 02, 2014, 11:31:25 pm by SalmonGod »
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #42553 on: September 02, 2014, 11:44:03 pm »

I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

Kadzar

• Bay Watcher
  • Descan Pengwind
    • View Profile
« Reply #42554 on: September 02, 2014, 11:58:30 pm »

Yeah, I have no memory of what sort learning levels I was expected of meeting/met at kindergarten level (partially due my memories never having reference to time unless such a thing plays a big role them, but also because I never found such information important enough to record in my organic databank), but Frumple's post reminded me that I've always had an adverse reaction to institutionalized learning. I liked learning on my own, and spent a lot of time basically wiki walking through our family's encyclopedia set, and later on in high school (and little before that in middle-school equivalent age when I would go there after school since my mom worked at the high school) I would spend several hours in the school library reading non-fiction books and periodicals instead of doing my homework.

I don't know if it was the school's fault or just my own faulty brain workings, but I've always seemed to have a pathological hatred for homework (I'm sure it couldn't have helped that I was often sent to the principal's office and yelled at or kept in isolation for hours in grade school because I didn't do my assignments sometimes. I'd say my biggest problem as far as academics is concerned probably had to do with my not doing homework, as even when I went to college, several professors remarked how I was clearly quite intellectually capable, doing well in quizzes and contributing in discussions, but there was almost no way they could pass me since I wasn't getting the homework done. But the problem at that point was I was officially tired at that point of people telling me what sort of things I needed to be doing with my free time, but I couldn't just drop out at the time because my parents wouldn't let me, so I had to spend three years travelling 45 minutes each way community college and then a tech school to attend classes which I was pretty much doomed to fail because I had no desire to apply myself, but didn't yet have the stones to confront my parents with the fact that no matter how smart and capable I am, there's no way I could make any of this work when I had absolutely no inner motivation to do so.

And that's probably enough ranting about my school history for now.

EDIT: Okay, one more thing and then I'll shut up. When I said homework was probably my biggest problem in school, that's because it's at least a toss-up between that and writing. I was always a very capable writer for my age (at this point, I think I could stand to brush up on my grammar and structuring), but I had/have a problem with perfectionist tendencies. I would often/will often write and rewrite sentences several times, sometimes spending several hours on a single paragraph. I think I'm getting better, but what I wrote above must have taken at least an hour. And I often agonize over the wording of one thing so much that I eventually forget the things I intended to write about later on. For many school assignments, my mother would have to take dictation for me just so that I would have something written down.

In short, writing has always been painful for me. But I found that, while most normal writing just paralyzed me with dread, I had a much easier time with creative writing. Most other writing felt crass to me since for the most part I was expected to just regurgitate facts in different wording, whereas with creative writing I was making wholly new things on the paper or the screen. Probably another factor is the fact that I've always found it easier to make things up than to remember facts exactly, and I've always had a strange compulsion to present facts as accurately as possible when writing anything non-fictitious, one which mostly goes away when I write fiction (I still feel compelled to make sure things I didn't make up are accurate or a good facsimile of accuracy).

I bring this up because, as much as I hate writing, I try to do it anyway here on Bay 12, and force myself to post stuff even if know it's not my strongest writing, because the important things isn't getting it perfect the first time around, or even correcting it to be perfect in the editing phase. The most important part of writing is willing yourself put words on the page, and that's something they could never teach me in school, no matter how hard they tried. It's something I had to learn for myself in my own time.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2014, 12:40:03 am by Kadzar »
What if the earth is just a knick in one of the infinite swords of the mighty fractal bear?
Glory to Arstotzka!
Pages: 1 ... 2835 2836 [2837] 2838 2839 ... 3345