Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2993 2994 [2995] 2996 2997 ... 3345

Author Topic: Things that made you RRRRRRAAAAGGGGEEEE today: Trust-o-nomics Edition  (Read 3435978 times)

Execute/Dumbo.exe

• Bay Watcher
  • Never Types So Much As Punches The Keyboard
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you RRRRRRAAAAGGGGEEEE today: See you in Matrimony Edition
« Reply #44910 on: October 20, 2014, 05:29:35 pm »

Now, with a shot in the dark here, do you have thoughts/fantasies about finally standing up against them and making them realise their folly?
All the time.

...are you trying to get at something?
Mmm hmmmm.
And you're... A bit older than me.
Right, two things, one, you are officially my alternate reality clone from a different universe and two, that as horrible it may feel and as horrible as they may act, it is better for absolutely everyone that at the very least you put in a hard budget for them and that they have to help the group as well.

It isn't going to get any better like this when leaving the house to go to the library to go on the internet to talk with your internet friends is seen as a temporary luxury.
You kind bastard.
He knows how to fix River's tiredness.
Alan help.
IronyOwl   But Kyuubey can more or less be summed up as "You didn't ask."
15:52   IronyOwl   Whereas Dungbeetle is closer to "Fuck you."

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #44911 on: October 20, 2014, 05:55:06 pm »

I didn't really want to say it either, particularly because it quickly can sound like blaming the victim. But perhaps the baggage from your biological family has produced character traits in you that her family has learned to exploit. Such as an inability to defend yourself, and unwillingness to make waves for fear of reprisal, ect....

Just sayin', as someone who has had the "Letting them have it" fantasies with regard to their own family, and who has acted on it....goddamn it's liberating. You cannot know the satisfaction, of the look on the faces of people who thought they had you figured out and who now have to treat you like a person.

Bottomline, you are the only thing between them and the street. It is only by the love of your wife and your innate decency as a person that you have done this, and they have quickly extinguished the latter. That is your power, man. Exercise it. And honestly, if your wife is part of the same deadbeat behavior you see in them.....maybe she needs a wake up call too. Because in a way she's exploiting you too, only from behind the shield of marriage.

You're seriously holding all the cards, you just need to decide what hand to play. And remember really it's just your wife who has any hand at all, and it sounds like a pair at best. And what ever you say you will do, mean it. I mean, think about it. On one hand, you'd have sooooo much more money to do with what you like because you're no longer supporting an entire family if you kick their asses to the curb. Or, on the other, you either scare their asses into getting a job, or at least doing something to make your life better when you finally assert that it's your house, your money and your goodwill that affords them anything. I mean....it's how my parents got through to me as a bit of a spoiled brat. Tell them you expect chores to be done in exchange for this magnificent rent-free gift you give them. Dishes done, house vacuumed, bathrooms clean, yard picked up and mowed.  When they want money to rent movies ask them "What have you done for me lately to deserve this?" If they do none of these things, give them nothing. Treat them like they're 12 if they're going to act like it.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2014, 06:04:02 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
« Reply #44912 on: October 20, 2014, 06:40:57 pm »

Computer decided to all but explode earlier. Mom managed to get it into a workable state now, but she implied there is still plenty wrong with it.

Yes my Mom is the resident "computer fixer" which isn't to say she has formal training or anything, more that she knows what scans to run and such, plus has the pure tenacity to sit for hours upon hours until shit works right again.

I will only give Mastahcheese the sympathies when he either asserts his authoritah over his in-laws, or finishes THE MAP WE HAVE WAITED 3 YEARS FOR NOW.
(I THINK its been that long. Sure seems that long to me :P)
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

Karkov

• Bay Watcher
  • There's been a distinct lack of Praisin' recently.
    • View Profile
« Reply #44913 on: October 20, 2014, 07:17:45 pm »

I don't think we have an exasperated thread, but this is about as close to it thread-wise as I can come so I'm gonna post it here.

I have spent the past four hours helping a woman with her assignments.  Normally this wouldn't be such a bad thing, most people here at the college can pick up the techniques and whatnot that they need for the rest of the chapter and finish up all of these assignments in a total of thirty minutes.  Probably would've taken me ten to do all of them, they're just easy assignments that you do one step at a time and you can't get them wrong.

This person probably got four of them done in a chapter that probably has 15 of them total.  Not only did she have me helping her (and I'm pretty good at my job), but she had her instructor helping her for about an hour as well.  After her instructor left, she arbitrarily jumped back half an assignment, claiming that something was wrong.  You literally cannot get these things wrong if you just follow the instructions step by step, half of the time they tell you "Position your cursor on one of the highlighted files.  Press right-click with your cursor over one of the highlighted files."

"Save as" is a completely foreign concept to her, and when it finally seems that she got it down she decided that she needed to use "Save as" to "Open" anything.  These are not difficult concepts.  I learned these before I was 7.  They should not be difficult for someone over 40.  There was another lady who was older than her who had figured out most of these things on her own!  I know because I had to help her as well when she first came to the open labs!  Now all she comes here for is a place to print and a place for quiet.

This is not the first time I've had to deal with the computer inept woman, either.  This is... I think the third semester that I've known her?  Maybe the second.  All I know is that she hasn't really put any effort into learning anything that she's doing and then gets completely frustrated that she doesn't know it and then takes it out on the lab assistants and faculty here.  She actually left an angry voice mail on a very nice woman's phone who works upstairs.  That woman who received the voice mail did not deserve it in the slightest, she hasn't worked for the lab assistants in at least a year now.

If I've come to a conclusion about being around this person at all, it's that I don't want to ever be that type of person, one that gives up at the first sign of confusion. 

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_ALREADY_HERE] [FRIENDSHIPPER:HIGH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #44914 on: October 20, 2014, 07:20:18 pm »

I learned these before I was 7.  They should not be difficult for someone over 40.  There was another lady who was older than her who had figured out most of these things on her own!

Somewhat flawed logic here. Younger minds are usually better at learning things. Computer-inept 40-year olds are not exactly uncommon, although I'm pretty sure they're not in the majority.

@Mastahcheese

**Hugs**
If you expect to live forever then you will never be disappointed.
Spooky Signature
To fix the horrid default colour scheme, follow the below steps:
Profile> Modify Profile> Look and Layout> Current Theme> (change)> Darkling

Karkov

• Bay Watcher
  • There's been a distinct lack of Praisin' recently.
    • View Profile
« Reply #44915 on: October 20, 2014, 07:39:24 pm »

The thing about it is that most of the people on this floor have a firm grasp on the concept of "Save as" as a feature.  It's the computer/business floor.  People on this floor range anywhere from 18-76 (I know a couple of people past 60 years old that still come here to the school, many of them talk about how they use the open lab to get away from their grand kids.  Some of the other ones talk about the "Good old days, when you used to have to solder your computer together).

Usually when you're here at the college, you've come to learn in some way or another.  It's the main purpose of college after all, teaching and learning and whatnot.  Most of the people here are prepared to learn, there's only a handful of people each semester that refuse to do any work or even make an attempt at learning, and then they usually drop out and I never see them again and it's gravy.  This has not been the case with this woman so far.

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #44916 on: October 20, 2014, 07:50:18 pm »

@mastahcheese
Man, why does everybody here have completely damned insane relatives?

Condolences.

I am also in support of MZ's suggestion.
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
  • Trans fucking rights, baby.
    • View Profile
« Reply #44917 on: October 20, 2014, 08:53:03 pm »

Sonic Advance, Cosmic Angel Zone act 2.

DAMN YOU, STUPIDLY BUILT BOSSES
Black lives matter.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #44918 on: October 20, 2014, 08:55:01 pm »

My relatives aren't insane, I just don't like them.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #44919 on: October 20, 2014, 08:56:27 pm »

I was about to say "but Taw, I don't have damn insane relatives!"

...then I remembered that one aunt I have who basically makes a living suing people. Her own father included.
And I think I had an uncle at one point who was indicted for some form of child abuse and I was never allowed to be alone with him.
*sigh*

EDIT: No, not chile abuse.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2014, 09:05:31 pm by Sirus »
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #44920 on: October 20, 2014, 09:04:56 pm »

Mastah, I think you should talk with you family. PM in the writing for you.
But in advance, since you're at the library--look up those attitude help-themed books around there?
Other than considering leaving them (which seems to be a valid point many others say), how's about helping them with their problems? They were recently homeless--what are the problems they're doing, and how can they realize it?

...Is there anyone in your community that may aid you there?
« Last Edit: October 20, 2014, 09:07:38 pm by Tiruin »

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44921 on: October 20, 2014, 09:06:56 pm »

My family is totally not wierd or insane.

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_ALREADY_HERE] [FRIENDSHIPPER:HIGH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #44922 on: October 20, 2014, 09:07:50 pm »

My family is totally not wierd or insane.

Same. And I'm feeling guilty about it now. <>___<>
If you expect to live forever then you will never be disappointed.
Spooky Signature
To fix the horrid default colour scheme, follow the below steps:
Profile> Modify Profile> Look and Layout> Current Theme> (change)> Darkling

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #44923 on: October 20, 2014, 09:10:37 pm »

That poor country.

[/poor taste]
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Kadzar

• Bay Watcher
  • Descan Pengwind
    • View Profile
« Reply #44924 on: October 21, 2014, 12:29:13 am »

I've been reading the GitP forum for 5e stuff, and at least every other thread seems to devolve into some inane argument where one person have some stupid opinion, and then everyone else in the thread will talk about how stupid he/she is, and the person will not back down at all, until the entire thread becomes just about proving the stupid person wrong, regardless of what the original intent was. This shit is so addictive, and I have wasted too much time reading these threads.
What if the earth is just a knick in one of the infinite swords of the mighty fractal bear?
Glory to Arstotzka!
Pages: 1 ... 2993 2994 [2995] 2996 2997 ... 3345