Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3013 3014 [3015] 3016 3017 ... 3345

Author Topic: Things that made you RRRRRRAAAAGGGGEEEE today: Trust-o-nomics Edition  (Read 3417689 times)

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you RRRRRRAAAAGGGGEEEE today: See you in Matrimony Edition
« Reply #45210 on: October 26, 2014, 09:09:45 am »

Basically, live and let live. I completely agree, as long as nothing too violent builds up around it, like many feminists.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #45211 on: October 26, 2014, 09:11:38 am »

Basically, live and let live. I completely agree, as long as nothing too violent builds up around it, like many feminists.
Be more specific :P The term as it is now, is still a generalized term...
Though I guess you mean certain feminists who are more...err, selfish and aiming for advantage rather than equality?

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #45212 on: October 26, 2014, 09:21:03 am »

Though I guess you mean certain feminists who are more...err, selfish and aiming for advantage rather than equality?

* LordSlowpoke prods tir in the ribs

are you sure you're trying to say that on this very board there are people who are against gender equality

i've seen other kinds of equality being opposed but when you speak of "opposition against feminism" around these parts you need to put your "feminists" in quotes just as i did there because they're that in name only

vector let me see that one clearer, funnily enough, even though i haven't spoken with her at all

TD1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #45213 on: October 26, 2014, 09:22:29 am »

Err, yea, what LSp said. Feminists who claim to be looking for equality, whilst wanting to be somehow "more equal"
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #45214 on: October 26, 2014, 09:31:40 am »

Fortunately, they're fairly rare in my experience. I mean, that's the equivalent of pointing to the Westboro Baptist Church as a meaningful representative of religion. Every large group's got its hypocrites, after all.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #45215 on: October 26, 2014, 09:40:00 am »

* LordSlowpoke prods tir in the ribs

are you sure you're trying to say that on this very board there are people who are against gender equality

i've seen other kinds of equality being opposed but when you speak of "opposition against feminism" around these parts you need to put your "feminists" in quotes just as i did there because they're that in name only

vector let me see that one clearer, funnily enough, even though i haven't spoken with her at all
...Yeah(?). There are newcomers who are against gender equality. :/
There are people in this world who use those terms not to advance equality but for their own...well. :-\ Not just one certain group. Mostly based on misunderstanding or lacking understanding.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #45216 on: October 26, 2014, 09:46:23 am »

Every feminist has the potential to become violent. Put them together in front of a Barby House in Germany, and see what happens.

Their arguments are sometimes valid. Their emotions? Sometimes violent.
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #45217 on: October 26, 2014, 09:50:03 am »

Every feminist Christian has the potential to become violent. Put them together in front of a Barby House in Germany Satanist Monument, and see what happens.

Yeah, I agree. This is actually true of all people - you show them an affirmation by society of a symbol that directly clashes with their ideology, and they have a tendency to get pissed at society. This has nothing to do with feminists or feminism, is what I'm trying to tell you.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #45218 on: October 26, 2014, 09:54:49 am »

How often do you come across a satanist monument, though?

The vast range of things that can set a feminist off even extends into how we speak.
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #45219 on: October 26, 2014, 09:57:00 am »

* LordSlowpoke paps citizen of best ireland

look, where you're coming from is modestly understandable

don't provoke tumblr, though

somebody will link somewhere and a shitstorm's ready

cerapa

• Bay Watcher
  • It wont bite....unless you are the sun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #45220 on: October 26, 2014, 09:58:06 am »

Every feminist has the potential to become violent. Put them together in front of a Barby House in Germany, and see what happens.

Are you raging just because, or have you actually seen a violent feminist?

Tick, tick, tick the time goes by,
tick, tick, tick the clock blows up.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #45221 on: October 26, 2014, 10:06:38 am »

I'm not raging at all, I'm defending my view.

Is that all right with you? :/
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #45222 on: October 26, 2014, 10:09:10 am »

So, basically, because people are less likely to respect feminist beliefs, feminism is therefore less reasonable? For that matter, most feminists don't actually get terribly upset about language choices, no matter how inane. If you get criticism, it's akin to being told, "Don't take the Lord's name in vain." It's usually not an emotional outburst, it's an attempt to educate (though not always a worthwhile one!). Now, I may not have picked a culturally relevant one for you, so I apologize if that's the case, but the point is that all sorts of movements have ideas about how people ought to behave, so that doesn't make feminism particularly special either.

Now, whether or not it's worth adhering to that particular behavior is a different thing. You pretty much have to consider what the actual consequences would be, although a good rule of thumb is that it's often helpful to go along with it in contexts that involve the person making the request. I think that in the case of feminism, since the point is "Consider the effects of your language choices on the people who might hear them", it's a fine general rule (but, then again, I'm generally a feminist anyway).

Basically there's nothing particularly rational about trying to connect feminism with volatile, emotional responses. Doing so is as much an emotional snap-judgment as anything you care to point to that's been attributed to feminism.

EDIT: Yeah, this is actually a rage-free conversation at this point. Is the Progressive thread still open somewhere?

TD1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #45223 on: October 26, 2014, 10:22:47 am »

If a Christian organisation did what the feminists did outside that Barby House outside a Mosque, I doubt you'd say that it wasn't an emotional response. Still, I see where you're coming from. Everything does have its touchy points. But why the hell would it be over something that doesn't need to be fought over? Cultural norms are always going to be there. There are cultural norms around men. But no one has to follow them. Peer pressure will always be there, regardless. If every girl were trying to break out of cultural norms, it would become a cultural norms.
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #45224 on: October 26, 2014, 10:39:30 am »

Yeah, at this point this shit needs to go to another thread.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.
Pages: 1 ... 3013 3014 [3015] 3016 3017 ... 3345