Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3053 3054 [3055] 3056 3057 ... 3345

Author Topic: Things that made you RRRRRRAAAAGGGGEEEE today: Trust-o-nomics Edition  (Read 3430948 times)

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
Re: Things that made you RRRRRRAAAAGGGGEEEE today: Divine Jizzum Edition
« Reply #45810 on: November 05, 2014, 09:19:24 pm »

If a slightly anachronistic medical practitioner had one, would you call it a midwife crisis?
I dont understand this...
A midwife is a ye olde (although they still exist) term for a lady (or man, I won't judge) who helps other ladies give birth without dying horribly.

As such, "slightly anachronistic medical practitioner" == midwife, and midwife is a play on mid-life.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #45811 on: November 05, 2014, 09:33:20 pm »

I know that, I just dont agree with the term being called Anachronistic, for various reasons...

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #45812 on: November 05, 2014, 09:42:16 pm »

Fair enough. It's not really relevant to the joke in any way, though.
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #45813 on: November 05, 2014, 09:52:12 pm »

I think that alot of doctors thesedays are saying that no anestetic is a good thing, for the kid atleast.
That is, unless they are going to do a c-section anyways.
Highly Opinionated Fool

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #45814 on: November 05, 2014, 10:00:44 pm »

... if that were true, I would be expecting to hear a lot more about pregnant women attempting to strangle doctors with their stethoscopes. Because I think I speak for all sane women in the world when I respond to sans-painkiller birth with a hearty, "Fuck no."
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #45815 on: November 05, 2014, 10:07:44 pm »

No anaesthetics? What!?

KingofstarrySkies

• Bay Watcher
  • It's been a long time...
    • View Profile
« Reply #45816 on: November 05, 2014, 10:08:33 pm »

OH MY GOD WHY
D:
Sigtextastic
Vereor Nox.
There'll be another King, another sky, and a billion more stars...

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #45817 on: November 05, 2014, 10:09:45 pm »

Highly Opinionated Fool

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #45818 on: November 05, 2014, 10:11:05 pm »

We're talking about anaesthesia during birth. It's probably not relevant whether the kid is going to ingest it by that stage.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #45819 on: November 05, 2014, 10:12:34 pm »

Labor can take hours, and the kid gets O2 from the cord until its out. For all intents and purposes, mother and kid share blood, so what affects the mom affects the kid...
Highly Opinionated Fool

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #45820 on: November 05, 2014, 10:19:56 pm »

Yeah, but the kid doesn't exactly do a whole lot of active stuff to assist in the birth (by my understanding). A bit of painkiller's not going to impact them. Might make it more difficult by weakening the mother's muscles, but then again, we're pretty good at placing nerve blocks and such to stop pain signals from getting to the brain without impacting the musculature nearly as much as you might imagine. With birth, my understanding is that the painkiller in question is usually an epidural, which puts the meds directly into cerebrospinal fluid (not blood), and due to the low concentrations of drug necessary to get things to work in that environment, doesn't do much to blood concentrations.

Then again, I was just a pharmacy technician, and rarely worked in the hospital's pediatric units (which is where Labor and Delivery is), so I could be wrong. You'd want a pharmacist's advice to be sure, I guess.

EDIT: Not cerebrospinal fluid, my bad. That's another kind of injection. The epidural space is not filled with cerebrospinal fluid, although it is still isolated from the circulatory system, which is the point I was making.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2014, 10:23:08 pm by Bauglir »
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #45821 on: November 05, 2014, 10:23:02 pm »

The kid has to do work too, its not just the mom pushing...
Highly Opinionated Fool

Execute/Dumbo.exe

• Bay Watcher
  • Never Types So Much As Punches The Keyboard
    • View Profile
« Reply #45822 on: November 05, 2014, 10:24:08 pm »

I can't recall, does the umbilical cord contain pain receptors? Because if it does that changes my position on this massively.

Also, fun fact, in labour, I took so long coming out that one doctor actually did acupuncture on my mother to sooth the aching.
He knows how to fix River's tiredness.
Alan help.
IronyOwl   But Kyuubey can more or less be summed up as "You didn't ask."
15:52   IronyOwl   Whereas Dungbeetle is closer to "Fuck you."

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile
« Reply #45823 on: November 05, 2014, 10:32:41 pm »

I put my mother through three straight days of labor. I try to remember this whenever I argue with her.

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #45824 on: November 05, 2014, 10:33:45 pm »

The kid has to do work too, its not just the mom pushing...
I'm having trouble finding evidence of this, but I have found evidence that an infant's brain activity drops sharply during birth, reducing the risk of brain damage to due low oxygen before breathing kicks in. Which seems somewhat counter to your claim, but obviously not conclusive. Got any sources I could take a look at? If I'm buying into a popular myth about how childbirth works, I'd like to know - God knows there are too many of those.

Umbilicals do not contain pain receptors. Brief research implies they contain no nerves of any kind, but I'm not certain of that and it seems unlikely; it's clear that the cutting of the cord is painless due to a lack of pain receptors, though.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.
Pages: 1 ... 3053 3054 [3055] 3056 3057 ... 3345