Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3299 3300 [3301] 3302 3303 ... 3345

Author Topic: Things that made you RRRRRRAAAAGGGGEEEE today: Trust-o-nomics Edition  (Read 3382275 times)

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you RRRRRRAAAAGGGGEEEE today: Decimals of Wrath Edition
« Reply #49500 on: January 22, 2015, 12:08:11 pm »

Fucking maths man.
+(1/3)*3

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

timferius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49501 on: January 22, 2015, 12:37:24 pm »

I miss math. Best part of High School. I probably couldn't even do first derivatives anymore, sadness.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #49502 on: January 22, 2015, 12:48:19 pm »

Fucking maths man.
+(1/3)*3

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
There's always this.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #49503 on: January 22, 2015, 12:59:11 pm »

I miss math. Best part of High School. I probably couldn't even do first derivatives anymore, sadness.
Multiply by the power then decrease the power by one. Or do it from first principles with (x, f(x)) and (x+h, f(x+h)) if you hate speed.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

timferius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49504 on: January 22, 2015, 01:14:03 pm »

Multiply by the power then decrease the power by one. Or do it from first principles with (x, f(x)) and (x+h, f(x+h)) if you hate speed.
Man, I remember being amusingly annoyed at my math teacher when, after a week of learning and mastering the disgusting nearly page long equation to solve it, they then matter-of-factly wrote a tiny equation on the board and said "now here's how to do it in 3 lines".

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #49505 on: January 22, 2015, 01:33:41 pm »

It wasn't until I took AP physics that the reason of why its so important to know why an equation works as opposed to just knowing the equation itself really sunk into me.
It's FEF, not FEOF

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #49506 on: January 22, 2015, 01:35:01 pm »

It wasn't until I took AP physics that the reason of why its so important to know why an equation works as opposed to just knowing the equation itself really sunk into me.
And yet physics is probably the field with the most times where the answer to the question of "why?" is "because we did experiments and that is the way it works!" :P
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #49507 on: January 22, 2015, 01:39:40 pm »

And yet physics is probably the field with the most times where the answer to the question of "why?" is "because we did experiments and that is the way it works!" :P

Except, as I'm painfully aware right about right now, obtaining the results of these experiments requires mathematical tinkering like calculus to obtain results.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

da_nang

• Bay Watcher
  • Argonian Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #49508 on: January 22, 2015, 02:10:43 pm »

Physicists try to reverse-engineer the universe as best as possible, while mathematicians are free to build their own.

Physicists see some phenomenon, try to explain it with some mechanism and experiments involving math and epic Correlation=/=Causation dodging (Thanks Hume!). Said explanation can be turned to shit or "not accurate enough" any moment.

Mathematicians set up some axioms and poof! New world! Let's go wild! Mathgods, 'tis what these guys are.
"Deliver yesterday, code today, think tomorrow."
Ceterum censeo Unionem Europaeam esse delendam.
Future supplanter of humanity.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #49509 on: January 22, 2015, 03:04:49 pm »

Swallowing is another way of trying to get rid of it, so drinking fluids might help with that too.

Not sure if inhaling instead of exhaling when you hold your nose will do anything useful. Last resort idea though.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49510 on: January 22, 2015, 03:08:14 pm »

The little tube that connects the ear to the throat is horribly blocked and has been all day. I tried unclogging it with the whole 'Cover nose and blow hard' but all that did was make the pressure higher without any unclogging. The air's slowly leaked out and stopped at the point where it's JUST uncomfortable.

Fuckin' cold.
Blowing hard is a dumb way of solving it. At least, it's massively less effective than yawning (which opens up the connector to your throat to equalise pressure) is.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49511 on: January 22, 2015, 03:11:51 pm »

Tried drinking some of that cough medicine that you mix with hot water? That tends to loosen up mucus to the point where you might be able to cough a lot of it off the sides of your throat.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49512 on: January 22, 2015, 04:18:18 pm »

Oh no not lemsip. That's like a peashooter compared to the veritable Howitzer of a medicine I'm talking about. I'll go and list off some choice ingredients:
Creosote
Tincture of chloroform and morphene
Liquorice extract (for flavour I guess? It doesn't succeed at covering up the rest of it)
Oxymel of squillae(mixture of honey and vinegar (of squill I guess? Fuck knows this stuff is from a chemist that I am reasonably certain hasn't changed their anything since going on a century ago))
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Wolfkit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49513 on: January 22, 2015, 04:58:56 pm »

Monday: You know, I want to buy some Bionicles! But I don't really know the bus system and I'm lazy and if I get to the store and they don't have the ones I want I'll be pissed. I know, I'll order them through lego.com!
2 hours later: I have nothing better to do, I'll check my order status and see if I can figure anything out about shipping. Wait what? My order is cancelled? Fucking hell, lego.com, I ain't buying through you again. Oh hai they're in stock on Amazon now, why didn't I check Amazon first. I know Amazon doesn't cancel your orders without even notifying you.
Today: Let's check my credit card statement, FUCKING HELL lego why do you still have a pending charge for that order on my credit card? I've only got $600 of credit limit.
You wanna frisk this guy? This guy with the technicolor wonder limbs? The limbs that could probably slap you on several different levels of reality?
Your tabs are just pure chaos, Wolfkit.
Sig

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #49514 on: January 22, 2015, 05:40:35 pm »

"Why does gravity happen," was a nice question that got me and my philosophy instructor on a very nice discussion about Physics, relating the movement to truth in math and the holistic consolidation of the sciences as a whole.

T'was very fun. Also Zeno's paradoxes were brought up--I didn't know that the example given (tortoise and Achilles) was a paradox when I 'answered' it right >_<

On a related/rerailing note: This made me recall my calculus teacher in college a year or so ago. His attitude was...not comfortable.  ._. A primary factor to why my grades were lower. <_<
Pages: 1 ... 3299 3300 [3301] 3302 3303 ... 3345