Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3337 3338 [3339] 3340 3341 ... 3345

Author Topic: Things that made you RRRRRRAAAAGGGGEEEE today: Trust-o-nomics Edition  (Read 3428966 times)

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you RRRRRRAAAAGGGGEEEE today: Trust-o-nomics Edition
« Reply #50070 on: February 06, 2015, 10:00:39 pm »

Apparently the new standard for Python module distribution is .whl files, a special format that's supposed to be installed with the pip program that ships with Python anyway. That's all well and good, except there's some fairly severe bugs like this whole process depending on you having the same version of a Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable as the person who compiled the installer you used for Python itself apparently? A perfectly functional process has been replaced with downgrade-hunting and tedious dependency checking for no adequately explained reason, and that pisses me off when the entire point of Python is supposed to be the ease of use. Grah!
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #50071 on: February 06, 2015, 10:05:06 pm »

... what was wrong with .py/.pyc?
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #50072 on: February 06, 2015, 10:15:56 pm »

That's still the format for saving stuff locally, but lots of things you might want to use span multiple files and suchlike, and so for convenient distribution they need to get packed up into a single compressed file. Until recently, there was a website that maintained up-to-date .exe files that would unpack a given thing into the appropriate place, but since this change they've switched to .whl files, which are apparently a pain in the ass.

"Module" might not be the right word. Extension, perhaps? For instance, numpy.

EDIT: Actually, it appears to be exactly a problem with numpy, and not a general one. Okay. That's a lot better.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2015, 10:24:46 pm by Bauglir »
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.

Ddynamo

• Bay Watcher
  • The difference between something and whatever.
    • View Profile

KingofstarrySkies

• Bay Watcher
  • It's been a long time...
    • View Profile
« Reply #50074 on: February 07, 2015, 10:56:05 am »

~ ~
0 0
----

WHAT
Sigtextastic
Vereor Nox.
There'll be another King, another sky, and a billion more stars...

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #50075 on: February 07, 2015, 11:19:09 am »

"Judge rules doing something that is not against the law is not against the law"

Sounds like it's a politician's job to fix this, not a judge's one.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #50076 on: February 07, 2015, 11:24:01 am »

Yeah, sadly in this case (but not in the general case), the courts can't actually impose punishments on people simply for doing something they find morally abhorrent. Talk to the state legislature.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #50077 on: February 07, 2015, 11:24:28 am »

Aren't there sexual harassment laws for this?

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #50078 on: February 07, 2015, 11:25:05 am »

Apparently not! That needs to be fixed, but a judge can't do that.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50079 on: February 07, 2015, 11:31:06 am »

My job is refusing to pay me the legally required minimum wage, claiming it hasn't gone into effect. It sure as fuck has.

Speaking of income, I still haven't heard anything from my mother's tax guy. If I don't hear anything really soon, I'm going to demand my W-2 back so I can file my taxes myself.

...Isn't Oregon the state that allows parents to transfer custody their children to "re-education" camps, who will violently kidnap them and then torture them into being good Christians?
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #50080 on: February 07, 2015, 11:55:32 am »

I did some coding competition thingie today, and wasted most of my time on trying to make task 2 get under the time requirement.
With 20 minutes left, I noticed that I had left in the while(true){} that I used to debug things.

;_;

Well, I guess I have a pretty well-optimized algorithm now :P

E:
Wow, it wasn't even correct ;_;
« Last Edit: February 07, 2015, 12:04:52 pm by miauw62 »

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #50081 on: February 07, 2015, 11:57:42 am »

My job is refusing to pay me the legally required minimum wage, claiming it hasn't gone into effect. It sure as fuck has.

Speaking of income, I still haven't heard anything from my mother's tax guy. If I don't hear anything really soon, I'm going to demand my W-2 back so I can file my taxes myself.

...Isn't Oregon the state that allows parents to transfer custody their children to "re-education" camps, who will violently kidnap them and then torture them into being good Christians?
I think that's Utah.
It's FEF, not FEOF

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #50082 on: February 07, 2015, 01:44:09 pm »

Having one of those days where I'm just utterly disgusted with everything and everyone. An especially "Fuck society" day.

Welp, off to work now. Ugh.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #50083 on: February 07, 2015, 01:45:27 pm »

Having one of those days where I'm just utterly disgusted with everything and everyone. An especially "Fuck society" day.

Welp, off to work now. Ugh.
Now MZ, you of all people should know that going off to work with a low Happiness rating is just a recipe for disaster.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

KingofstarrySkies

• Bay Watcher
  • It's been a long time...
    • View Profile
« Reply #50084 on: February 07, 2015, 01:49:07 pm »

heeeee
sims joookes
Sigtextastic
Vereor Nox.
There'll be another King, another sky, and a billion more stars...
Pages: 1 ... 3337 3338 [3339] 3340 3341 ... 3345