Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 328 329 [330] 331 332 ... 3345

Author Topic: Things that made you RRRRRRAAAAGGGGEEEE today: Trust-o-nomics Edition  (Read 3419845 times)

Bdthemag

• Bay Watcher
  • Die Wacht am Rhein
    • View Profile

There are considerably less Problem Sleuth avatars then there are Homestuck avatars on this forum. But I see your point.
Well, you do have a busy life, what with keeping tabs on wild, rough-and-tumble forum members while sorting out the drama between your twenty two inner lesbians.
Your drunk posts continue to baffle me.
Welcome to Reality.

TherosPherae

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Sunburn. And it itches.
Quote from: Aqizzar
Being vengeance and the night could only be improved by being the ballpunching vengeful night.
Quote from: Cthulhu
Gotham's mysteriously high mental illness rate isn't so mysterious when you find out Batman thinks subduing a guy means spiking his head into the pavement like a football.

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile

Yeah, I somewhat like the show but rage a little bit when I see all of those fucking pony avatars.
I know, right? Like how it drives me up the wall when I see all those fraking homestuck MSPA avatars...   ::)

The fucking penguin avatars in the mafia board. WHY??? *Sobs*
He's just keeping up with the Cardassians.

Vorthon

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 50% more pointless rambling!
    • View Profile

Yeah, I somewhat like the show but rage a little bit when I see all of those fucking pony avatars.
I know, right? Like how it drives me up the wall when I see all those fraking homestuck MSPA avatars...   ::)

Meh, as long as people don't try to pressure me into adopting a similarly-themed avatar, I don't really give a shit about what other people use for theirs.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile

The penguin mafia would like a word with your kneecaps.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I wonder how many watchlists I'd end up on for doing an image search for "penguin meat."

Hmm...
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Vorthon

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 50% more pointless rambling!
    • View Profile

The penguin mafia would like a word with your kneecaps.
Quote for the sigtext thread.

iceball3

• Bay Watcher
  • Miaou~
    • View Profile
    • My DA

I wonder how many watchlists I'd end up on for doing an image search for "penguin meat."

Hmm...
No more than me, now. I searched. A bit uninteresting to be honest.
Don't wait up for me if I vanish.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile

Would you just quit it?  If I do something wrong, it's not because all men bad all women good or something like that.  It's because I am doing the very best I can to make things right, and when I know people do have PTSD triggered from stuff like that, I do what I can.  I'm not some sort of ultimate moralizing force.  I'm a human, who is often wrong, and really just trying to find the right thing and do that.

Is it kosher to bring up a quote from so long ago? I'd rather I was here back when it was current, but I feel like bringing this up again bears repeating. And maybe I'm putting it to a use you didn't intend Vector, and I apologize if I'm hijacking your words. And it's possible I'm misinterpreting some other posters as well, and I apologize to anyone who feels as if I'm putting words in your mouth*.

But I feel like there seems to be a rash lately of jokes about how you have to watch what you say around Vector and how she's such an enforcer of progressiveness and stuff. And it just seems like that misses the point. Which doesn't seem to really be anything about Vector, particularly. It's not that she's touchy and you should be nice to her, and it's not that she's here to make the boards a better place. She's just here, and she wants to make the boards a better place. And she doesn't even seem to be arguing to defend what's right, or to fight off people she thinks are wrong. Getting rid of people isn't the point, so much as convincing them, showing them what the problem is. Getting them to internalize something and apply it beyond the current argument.

Maybe I'm blowing this out of proportion, and maybe I'm being overly defensive on somebody else's behalf. I feel kind of bad about bringing up an issue that isn't about me, and that nobody's talking about right now. It's just, I don't like seeing someone put on a pedestal, and that paragraph I quoted gave me a sense that she probably doesn't either. So, I just wanted to make clear what I thought, and hope that I'm not just failing Sense Motive, and that I'm not inadvertently doing that thing where complaining about a problem makes me a part of it. Cause goddamn is that ever a problem here, I think, not to mention the constant worry that what I'm really doing is white knighting.

Anyway, hitting "post" before self-doubt makes me think better of it, I apologize if this post turns out to be a waste of bits.

*Was that last clause grammatically correct? I couldn't figure out what pronoun to use, for some reason.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I'm arguing in hopes of discovering what's right.

I'm here because I'm lonely.

It's as simple as that.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile

I'm arguing in hopes of discovering what's right.

I feel exactly the same way.  Jokes and cynicism always float around about how arguing on the internet is pointless... but I've learned more by debating on forums than I have in college courses.  You'll never find a better way to communicate with such a wide variety of people about such a wide variety of subjects without any inhibitions standing in the way of honest expression.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile

Gotcha. Sorry for speaking for you like that. Something just irks me about people acting like you (or any other particular forumite, for that matter) are the reason why they ought to be less cavalier about rape (or whatever the issue at hand happens to be in a given situation).

Sorry again. You want me to delete the post or anything?
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Gotcha. Sorry for speaking for you like that. Something just irks me about people acting like you (or any other particular forumite, for that matter) are the reason why they ought to be less cavalier about rape (or whatever the issue at hand happens to be in a given situation).

Sorry again. You want me to delete the post or anything?

Nah.

See, look, you don't have to tiptoe around me.  I'm not going to eat you.  If I get mad at you, I'll make a post, you'll probably learn something, and it'll be over.  Or we'll argue for a while and get mad, cool down, whatever.  It doesn't have to be such a big deal.

I don't think I'm the reason why people should be less cavalier about anything in particular.  I think I just tend to get there first and already had a reputation for a lot of other things before this new obsession came up.  I hope they'll listen to me and think I'm right, because I like being right (and also like seeing social change), but I also hope that if I'm wrong they'll tell me so that I can become more right.

It's just... I dunno.  I really like thinking about things without having all these silly stereotypes to deal with.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile

Well, it's not so much you in particular that I tiptoe around. It's more that I'm intensely worried about messing up in any capacity whenever I talk about somebody else, particularly when guessing motivations and stuff. I'm probably being silly. I hate it whenever somebody misrepresents something I say, so I assume everyone else will be as irritated as I can get and go too far out of my way to avoid doing it, even by accident. That, and I'll sometimes get so caught up in trying to make my meaning clear that I'll bury it in clarifications and qualifications. And, half the time, I'll start second-guessing my motivations if I'm doing anything on somebody else's behalf. Before I get wrapped up in all that again, thanks, and I'll just move on now.

Anyway, I've been getting too wrapped up in forum life, I think. I'm gonna go watch a lecture or two and maybe actually do a damn problem set, and come back tomorrow. Not really rageworthy, of course, but anyway. I now return you to your regularly scheduled anger-based energy beverage (angergy?).

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile

I'm with you Bauglir.  I wanted to say something in support at first, but couldn't figure out what to say.  The "Vector = Forum Smack Down of Justice" jokes didn't sit well with me, either, but I couldn't figure out what it was and I never found them offensive or ill-intentioned enough to say anything about it and didn't know how Vector felt about them.

Something just irks me about people acting like you (or any other particular forumite, for that matter) are the reason why they ought to be less cavalier about rape (or whatever the issue at hand happens to be in a given situation).

I think this hit on at least part of the issue pretty well, though.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.
Pages: 1 ... 328 329 [330] 331 332 ... 3345