Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 568 569 [570] 571 572 ... 3345

Author Topic: Things that made you RRRRRRAAAAGGGGEEEE today: Trust-o-nomics Edition  (Read 3442282 times)

Vorthon

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 50% more pointless rambling!
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you RRAAAAAGGGGEEEE today thread: Digital Warfare Edition
« Reply #8535 on: January 24, 2012, 08:48:11 am »

This may sound stupid, but have you considered taping bags of frozen vegetables to your chest? Our ice-packs?

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #8536 on: January 24, 2012, 10:28:59 am »

Microsoft interview. Failed to come up with the optimal algorithm for the question. What's worse, I had heard the question and the optimal answer for it a mere 2 weeks ago from someone else who had a Microsoft interview. D:

If I'm lucky, my knowledge that
for(int i=arraySize-1; i >= 0; i--)
is more efficient than
for(int i=0; i<arraySize; i++)
will convince them to put me through to the next round of interviews; though I'm not optimistic about my prospects now. :(

kaenneth

• Bay Watcher
  • Catching fish
    • View Profile
    • Terrible Web Site
« Reply #8537 on: January 24, 2012, 01:47:34 pm »

Microsoft interview. Failed to come up with the optimal algorithm for the question. What's worse, I had heard the question and the optimal answer for it a mere 2 weeks ago from someone else who had a Microsoft interview. D:

is more efficient than
will convince them to put me through to the next round of interviews; though I'm not optimistic about my prospects now. :(

Is it? perhaps based on the idea that comparing to zero is a shorter op? or something else?
Quote from: Karnewarrior
Jeeze. Any time I want to be sigged I may as well just post in this thread.
Quote from: Darvi
That is an application of trigonometry that never occurred to me.
Quote from: PTTG??
I'm getting cake.
Don't tell anyone that you can see their shadows. If they hear you telling anyone, if you let them know that you know of them, they will get you.

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #8538 on: January 24, 2012, 01:55:37 pm »

is more efficient than

Is it? perhaps based on the idea that comparing to zero is a shorter op? or something else?

Integer comparison on a hardware level involves subtracting the two numbers and determining if the result is 0, positive or negative. comparing to 0 means you can skip the subtraction. Also of note is that addition is less efficient than subtraction because of issues with carrying.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8539 on: January 24, 2012, 02:39:50 pm »

I wonder if this is something that a modern compiler can optimize for you?  Because if I saw code like that, I'd be asking some questions.

I'm also curious how much of a difference there would be on a modern ALU anyway.  I at least would suspect that the carry from the addition wouldn't actually affect speed in any way, unless the compiler had to do something funny with the carry flag.

The comparison to 0 makes sense though, the compiler could do away with a subtract instruction that way.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8540 on: January 24, 2012, 03:10:13 pm »

Customer brought in a half built homebuilt computer, thinks they may have screwed it up putting it together because it's throwing out a beep code.

I solved the first beep code(somehow, it was graphics system related and all I dd was reseat the card) but now there is another one keeping it from POSTing.  A single beep and no video output.   The single beep code seems to refer to a memory error, but I switched out the memory with known good and it is still happening.  I also tried switching out the graphics card with a known good.  Also still happening, though that card displays a black screen with the number 98 on the bottom right.  Google has nothing on that other than the beep code and numbers I don't have.

Stupid motherboard! Y U NO POST!   I'm leaning toward a damaged motherboard, but that does not satisfy me for some reason...
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8541 on: January 24, 2012, 03:17:26 pm »

Sounds completely possible to me.  I've had a couple of bad motherboards.  The first had some insulation or something to drip onto it during manufacturing, damaging some PCB traces to the memory slots.  No matter what combination of known good memory I put in, it would always give me beep codes for bad memory.

Of course, it might be worth it to just take the whole thing apart and rebuild it.  Might just be something loose somewhere.  If it was mine, that's what I'd do, but for a customer that might eat up a lot of time and inflate their bill, so you might just want to chalk it up as a bad motherboard and let it be that.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8542 on: January 24, 2012, 04:42:12 pm »

I clearly need to build up to the caffeine available in one cup of coffee, because I'm seriously higher than a kite right now and keep wanting to try to sneak down the halls, but can't because my pants are too loud and I can't move slow

EDIT: Seriously, my hands are quivering uncontrollably.  This is amazing.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2012, 04:48:12 pm by Vector »
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #8543 on: January 24, 2012, 05:09:49 pm »

but can't because my pants are too loud

Out of context is best context!
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #8544 on: January 24, 2012, 06:07:26 pm »

I clearly need to build up to the caffeine available in one cup of coffee, because I'm seriously higher than a kite right now and keep wanting to try to sneak down the halls, but can't because my pants are too loud and I can't move slow
... obvious answer is "No pants, problem solved."

Incidentally, that sounds a bit stronger than a single dose of coffee. Are you sure it was, yanno', just caffeine? M'probably a bit desensitized to the stuff, but the last time I had that sort of reaction was when I boiled mountain dew and steeped honey/lemon/ginseng green tea into it (Molten. Sugar. And six+ hour caffeine high, it's great. The crash is legendary.). Was a lot more caffeine in that than your normal cuppa' joe :P
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

PyroDesu

• Bay Watcher
  • Schist happens
    • View Profile
« Reply #8545 on: January 24, 2012, 06:18:09 pm »

M'probably a bit desensitized to the stuff, but the last time I had that sort of reaction was when I boiled mountain dew and steeped honey/lemon/ginseng green tea into it (Molten. Sugar. And six+ hour caffeine high, it's great. The crash is legendary.). Was a lot more caffeine in that than your normal cuppa' joe :P

What. The. Fuck.
Quote from: syvarris
Pyro is probably some experimental government R&D AI.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #8546 on: January 24, 2012, 06:19:14 pm »

As someone who brews strong coffee, you never really know unless you brew it yourself. If you drink coffee, you can tell by the taste.

I figure it's like nicotine though. Anyone that has smoked, stopped smoking, then had a cigarette will tell you.....tolerance is a fluid thing. Just one cigarette after not smoking for months will have you buzzing so hard you'll struggle to stand upright.

The only time I've ever gotten a caffeine overdose (and I've been hooked on soda since I was a kid) was from caffeine pills, back in high school. Of course...that was before I started drinking coffee.

Awful feeling though. Nausea, shakes, sweats, headache. It's almost like being hung over except your heart is going a mile a second.

What. The. Fuck.

There's an old Southern recipe for boiling Coca Cola to calm an upset stomach. Still haven't figured that one out.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #8547 on: January 24, 2012, 06:28:19 pm »

Honestly, I first ran into it because I wanted to see if boiling something carbonated would cause an explosion. Turns out it doesn't! Makes it smooth, actually. Boils out the carbonation, like microwaving sodas with a reduced chance of actual explosion.

Then I was like, shit, I like green tea. Needs a boiling liquid, right? Let's see what the hell happens.

Turns out it was to my taste. I've tried seven or eight different kinds of soda at this point and a few different sorts of tea (Barqs rootbeer/goji berry tea is pretty tasty~ Orange laced tea doesn't go well with an orange soda base, though.). Some turn out pretty good, some pretty nasty, but the overall results have been positive. Don't have it very often, though, for kinda' obvious reasons.

Best part was when I made some for class. That purple mountain dew from years back and said honey/lemon/ginseng caffeinated green tea. Small class of about eight or so all got a cup, including the (50ish) teacher. Everyone liked it, heh.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2012, 06:32:43 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8548 on: January 24, 2012, 07:48:45 pm »

No, I'm pretty sure it was just normal coffee.  French roast, blah blah blah.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

PyroDesu

• Bay Watcher
  • Schist happens
    • View Profile
« Reply #8549 on: January 24, 2012, 08:23:39 pm »

What. The. Fuck.

There's an old Southern recipe for boiling Coca Cola to calm an upset stomach. Still haven't figured that one out.

I haven't heard that one before, and I'm Southern. Question is, does it actually work?

Honestly, I first ran into it because I wanted to see if boiling something carbonated would cause an explosion. Turns out it doesn't! Makes it smooth, actually. Boils out the carbonation, like microwaving sodas with a reduced chance of actual explosion.

Then I was like, shit, I like green tea. Needs a boiling liquid, right? Let's see what the hell happens.

Turns out it was to my taste. I've tried seven or eight different kinds of soda at this point and a few different sorts of tea (Barqs rootbeer/goji berry tea is pretty tasty~ Orange laced tea doesn't go well with an orange soda base, though.). Some turn out pretty good, some pretty nasty, but the overall results have been positive. Don't have it very often, though, for kinda' obvious reasons.

Best part was when I made some for class. That purple mountain dew from years back and said honey/lemon/ginseng caffeinated green tea. Small class of about eight or so all got a cup, including the (50ish) teacher. Everyone liked it, heh.

I may actually try this, did you ever make Boiled Mountain Dew + Lemon tea?

(I seriously hope it doesn't make me too wired. Only reason I'd be willing to try it is I do have a substantial bit of caffeine intake a day. Hell, this might even keep me awake for my Spanish II class, which makes EVERYONE fall asleep. I shouldn't tell my brother though, his medication makes him shake a bit much already, no need to wire him up like that.)
« Last Edit: January 24, 2012, 08:26:37 pm by PyroDesu »
Quote from: syvarris
Pyro is probably some experimental government R&D AI.
Pages: 1 ... 568 569 [570] 571 572 ... 3345