Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1797 1798 [1799] 1800 1801 ... 3345

Author Topic: Things that made you RRRRRRAAAAGGGGEEEE today: Trust-o-nomics Edition  (Read 3424865 times)

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you RRAAAAGGGGEEEE today thread: Porcelain Ethics Edition
« Reply #26970 on: August 27, 2013, 11:26:07 pm »

Goddamn dice! In trying to figure out a responsible way of setting target numbers, the simplest and most effective strategy mandates a division by 2 for calculating several of a character's statistics. This is because dice have an expected value of 1/2 their maximum value. It's trivial to create a formula that grows in the same way as a character's abilities do by basing it on the same numbers, but because one of those numbers sets die size, it's twice as large as the results you expect from that die. And while I can probably do it without hurting gameplay that much, on account of being able to automate the calculation on a character sheet via the magic of computerized assistance, it burns from a mechanical elegance perspective. Arbitrary constants are not good!
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

da_nang

• Bay Watcher
  • Argonian Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #26971 on: August 28, 2013, 01:44:07 am »

This is because dice have an expected value of 1/2 their maximum value.
Umm, isn't it 7/12 of the maximum value for a 6-sided die, (N+1)/(2N) for an N-sided die?
"Deliver yesterday, code today, think tomorrow."
Ceterum censeo Unionem Europaeam esse delendam.
Future supplanter of humanity.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #26972 on: August 28, 2013, 01:57:33 am »

My dice start at 0 for reasons having to do with explosions >_________>

Although more generally that .5 isn't significant as N increases so just saying 1/2 was close enough for the purposes of the rage, which has to do with needing to extrapolate all the way on up to infinity :P
« Last Edit: August 28, 2013, 02:00:38 am by Bauglir »
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #26973 on: August 28, 2013, 09:41:57 am »

I am so god damn tired of having these throat problems. My neck doesn't ache anymore, my fever is gone, my throat just won't get the fucking clue. I could live if it was just hurting, but now it's been making a bunch of mucus of many colors (including bright, sunny yellow for some reason) that I can't ever get rid of even though I've been coughing it up for two days. This happens every time I get better from something, but usually I just cough it up once and I'm done.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

Shakerag

• Bay Watcher
  • Just here for the schadenfreude.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26974 on: August 28, 2013, 10:15:37 am »

I am so god damn tired of having these throat problems. My neck doesn't ache anymore, my fever is gone, my throat just won't get the fucking clue. I could live if it was just hurting, but now it's been making a bunch of mucus of many colors (including bright, sunny yellow for some reason) that I can't ever get rid of even though I've been coughing it up for two days. This happens every time I get better from something, but usually I just cough it up once and I'm done.
I had that happen to me for a month after a bout of illness.  Could be something like walking pneumonia?

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #26975 on: August 28, 2013, 11:10:47 am »

I had that happen to me for a month after a bout of illness.  Could be something like walking pneumonia?
Seems probable. I was stuck with a cough for ~3 weeks and a doctor diagnosed me with exactly that.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

mcclay

• Bay Watcher
  • Gay, Tired and Just here to Vibe
    • View Profile
« Reply #26976 on: August 28, 2013, 12:13:36 pm »

Fucking hell. I had to stay up until about 2 last night. I tried to go to sleep but I wouldn't stop coughing. Eventually my parents took me to the ER but not before I threw up from coughing. Once I was there I learned that I basically have asthma until all the smoke from the fires in CA clear up. Ugh, I'm so fucking tired and pissed you don't even know.
Am I back? Its a mystery to everyone

Steelmagic

• Bay Watcher
  • Insanity makes everything fun!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26977 on: August 28, 2013, 07:40:13 pm »

My mouse is, using technical terms, an asshole. I right click and it left clicks, i left click and it double clicks. I need to buy a new one.
When i say "I'm no expert but..." It means "I have no idea what the hell I'm talking about but I'm going to try to sound like i do."

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #26978 on: August 28, 2013, 09:38:36 pm »

My cat is somehow tracking litter from her litter tray into my bed. HOW IS SHE DOING THIS. MY BED IS ALMOST TWO METRES OFF THE GROUND GRAAAAAAAARGH.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #26979 on: August 28, 2013, 09:42:27 pm »

Fur and crevices are capable of many splendorous things.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #26980 on: August 28, 2013, 10:41:18 pm »

My cat is somehow tracking litter from her litter tray into my bed. HOW IS SHE DOING THIS. MY BED IS ALMOST TWO METRES OFF THE GROUND GRAAAAAAAARGH.
Oh god I hate that. Or anything in my bed. Sand too. Small crumbs as well. Actually, I don't like small crumbly stuff on my bed in general. Or at all.

Supposedly my Grandfather nearly did not have kids simply because he hated crumbs in his bed that much.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26981 on: August 28, 2013, 10:44:23 pm »

Supposedly my Grandfather nearly did not have kids simply because he hated crumbs in his bed that much.
This sounds so bizarre out of context that I have to sig it.
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #26982 on: August 29, 2013, 10:48:03 am »

Don't worry, that game sucks. The only funny part is getting the "thanks for supporting an indie dev!" achievement.

Altough that was only funny because I pirated it :P

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #26983 on: August 29, 2013, 10:50:07 am »

Decided to get game dev tycoon via steam.

All it does is have the music come up in a juttery fashion, and show a white screen. Fuck else.
Welcome to game development.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Iceblaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 50% less in-jokes!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26984 on: August 29, 2013, 10:57:47 am »

Playing Splinter Cell 2 for the first time in a while.

Reach the train level
Spoiler: Reason (click to show/hide)

Get to the point where I have to laser mic a call. Completely forget I have to go through the bar car, and try to go back after Poindexter, end up failing sixty times(not really) and then realize 'I'm supposed to go... FUCK MY INTELLIGENCE'

Commence me beating myself up about it for the rest of the level.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2013, 11:00:06 am by Iceblaster »
Pages: 1 ... 1797 1798 [1799] 1800 1801 ... 3345