Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1905 1906 [1907] 1908 1909 ... 3345

Author Topic: Things that made you RRRRRRAAAAGGGGEEEE today: Trust-o-nomics Edition  (Read 3427174 times)

Thecard

• Bay Watcher
  • Back in With the Old!
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you RRRAAAAGGGGEEEE today: Maximum Pedantry Edition
« Reply #28590 on: October 19, 2013, 10:28:31 pm »

Make new sigs, but keep the old;
Those are silver, these are gold.
New-made sigships, like new wine,
Age will mellow and refine.
Sigss that have stood the test-
Time and change-are surely best;
Brow may wrinkle, hair grow gray;
sigs never knows decay.
For 'mid old sigs, tried and true,
Once more we our youth renew.
But old sigs, alas! may die;
New sigs must their place supply.
Cherish sigs in your breast-
New is good, but old is best;
Like this, which is sigged.
Does that make me part of the problem now?

I think the slaughter part is what made them angry.
OOC: Dachshundofdoom: This is how the world ends, not with a bang but with goddamn VUVUZELAS.
Those hookers aren't getting out any time soon, no matter how many fancy gadgets they have :v

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #28591 on: October 19, 2013, 10:29:10 pm »

Or, a rotating sig-text image of screen-captures of the quotes you enjoyed, displaying them easily (for the viewer) and with variety.

Possibly allowing a sig-text thread for the more... long quotes.

Spoiler:  rant continuation. (click to show/hide)
also are you me

don't be me, me is terrible. be future me, he's awesome.

i am proto-future me, in case you were wondering.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2013, 10:31:42 pm by Descan »
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #28592 on: October 19, 2013, 10:31:00 pm »

double double boil and ohgodwhy
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

lue

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:missing right bracket
    • View Profile
« Reply #28593 on: October 19, 2013, 10:36:13 pm »

New-made sigships, like new wine,
Age will mellow and refine.
Sigss that have stood the test-
Time and change-are surely best;
Brow may wrinkle, hair grow gray;
sigs never knows decay.
For 'mid old sigs, tried and true,
Once more we our youth renew.
But old sigs, alas! may die;
New sigs must their place supply.
Cherish sigs in your breast-
New is good, but old is best;
Like this, which is sigged.
Does that make me part of the problem now?
I thus must sig as well.

You... You should see someone. A guidance counselor, or a teacher, or the principal. Write to Dr. Phil if you've got nowhere to turn even. I don't know about anyone else who reads that, but I personally am worried for the direction you're headed in. I hope you realize that someday you will get out of it, that it will get better.
Post not guaranteed accurate or pristine for all of time.
Sigtext. Enticing, yes? If you do not know where things I have "sigged" go, this page will explain.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #28594 on: October 19, 2013, 10:40:03 pm »

Huh. Sounds like me a few years ago.
You should probably get counseling or something.
Or not. Dunno.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Thecard

• Bay Watcher
  • Back in With the Old!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28595 on: October 19, 2013, 10:44:49 pm »

Huh. Sounds like me a few years ago.
You should probably get counseling or something.
Or not. Dunno.
Sounds like me in a few years.
I'd suggest counseling. It helps me. Because yeah, you're not the only one. Many people need counseling, really. Most people, when you think about it. Hell, everybody 'oughta have a shrink.

I think the slaughter part is what made them angry.
OOC: Dachshundofdoom: This is how the world ends, not with a bang but with goddamn VUVUZELAS.
Those hookers aren't getting out any time soon, no matter how many fancy gadgets they have :v

kisame12794

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Arc Welder!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28596 on: October 19, 2013, 10:57:22 pm »

Cmega, I know the rage. I been bullied and I've struck out a few times. Eventually I just stopped giving a shit. I know that everyone is different, and that you may not be able to just ignore it, but I did, and I hate it. I hate not giving a shit about anything. I've gotten so good at suppressing emotion that the death of a close family member did nothing. No sadness, no grief, just nothing. Same for praise, rage, happy. If I do feel something, it doesn't last. Don't be me. Go find a friend, a teacher, someone who cares, and talk. You are not just someone who has perfect grades, or someone who sucks at organization. You are you, and not a damn thing can change it. No one human is perfect. If they were, they wouldn't be human. Be human. Be fallible, be clever, be awesome. If you have trouble, tell someone. I know this may not make you feel better, but it's true. No matter what anybody says, trust yourself to be yourself. You don't have to answer to anybody about that. If they don't like you, tell them to deal with it. Sorry bout the rant.
The non-assholes vastly outnumber the assholes but the assholes can fart with greater volume.
((You're an arm and a torso in low orbit. This was the best possible resolution of things.))

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #28597 on: October 19, 2013, 11:48:26 pm »

That rant sounds about like anyone with an IQ of above 100 growing up in religious fundamentalist rural Murica.

Spoiler alert: the moral of the story is to go to university and GTFO of there. Then come back to visit for a day or two, just to witness karmic justice firsthand when they greet you as you enter the local Walmart and McDonalds. Because, really, there is nothing you could possibly do to them which would be worse than the lifetime of crippling poverty and working a job they hate~
... Then scurry back to your urban yuppie-hole with the horrifying knowledge that that could have been you if you wasted time on them instead of doing interesting things.

Heh, my mother was somewhere on the fence between 'vidja games are a waste of time' and 'vidja games are a corrupting force of evil.' I specifically recall not being allowed to buy Black & White since you play as a god. Not that it helped, as I ended up an atheist anyway. :P

Also, conversations with yourself is not only normal, but from what I recall has actually been shown to help prevent dementia. Also, if you're only getting 1 level of meta-think conversations going in your head, consider yourself lucky. When I get anxiety-driven insomnia, in a state of sleepy-but-with-overactive-brain, I can go up to a good half dozen levels of telling my brain to STFU, hehehe.

So yeah, it's largely not you, it's them. Therapy might be good, but I also doubt it would be easy for you to get access to; so take it if you can... but if not, just keep in mind the fate of all the highschool busy-bodies and idiots. There is no revenge more effective than smug aloofness as the years tick by and they slowly realize with growing existential horror just what they have made their lives into.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2013, 12:11:13 am by alway »

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you RRRAAAAGGGGEEEE today: Song of Sigs Edition
« Reply #28598 on: October 20, 2013, 12:04:52 am »

And do try to major in something marketable, if you can. (My choice was Russian, and Classical Languages for my dream teaching job). Sociology or, lord help you, Gender Studies will send you back right where you started, but with everyone holding a grudge against you for learning left-wing drivel. (They will be right, but for the wrong reasons). Languages are the most marketable humanities degrees, these days. (To be fair, what employers want isn't the degree, but proficiency. But if you work hard, you'll get that proficiency. Don't neglect outside study like Skyping natives). Maybe I'm shilling too hard for my own area of study, you might want to ask other people too... Make sure you find a major freshman year. You don't just want to graduate, you want to do it in four years, unless you're double-majoring. If you can, study for some AP tests on your own and get credit for them. Clearing your gen eds out makes everything easier.

If you have tried coding and do it well, that's good- do computer science or something else while learning to code in the evenings, and write a few nice big projects for your resume. From what I've heard the job market for other STEM fields ('cept for engineers) isn't as good as it's made out to be, but it's not too bad, and in any case the job market just out of college in America is crap, has always been crap, and will probably always be crap, but is even crappier now because of the recession.

But- get into your state's flagship university (or another's) and work your ass off.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2013, 12:06:29 am by FearfulJesuit »

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

lue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28599 on: October 20, 2013, 12:06:16 am »

First off, if you want more discussion on you, the Life Advice board one below this one (General Discussion) is a particularly apt place. I know it helped me feel better when I was in a horrendous slump about a month ago (writing there was always a relieving moment of the day during that time).

Second, I've done the same sort of worry about if my problems aren't things I shouldn't be worried about, if I really should just suck it up and move on. I think one thing you should remember is that if it is hurting you, it's a real problem. It might not be as objectively terrible as not having access to clean water, sure, but it doesn't mean your feelings are invalid (you should use the fact that calling them "first world problems" hasn't helped you as proof of this). It's healthy to be critical of your problems (instead of just relishing having them, being able to play the victim), but don't try to invalidate them.

For what it's worth, I've thought about past me and future me a lot as well. In fact, during Season 32 of Doctor Who I could swear that future me must've been helping the scriptwriters steal my ideas, although that's likely something totally different :P .

And, considering the writing of your rants, may I suggest creative writing? You seem incredibly prone to creating good metaphors for your state of mind at least :) . And no, your stories don't have to be apocalyptic because that's how you feel. Write about the most cheesy, unrealistic, idealized life you could possibly want to have. The saga of Earth's inhabitants preparing for the next pole reversal. The tale of the CIA/MI6/whatever agent somehow tasked with assassinating the governor of Nebrahoma.

My point is, I have a fleeting suspicion writing of some form would suit you.

Wish you the best, Cmega3.
Sigtext. Enticing, yes? If you do not know where things I have "sigged" go, this page will explain.

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #28600 on: October 20, 2013, 12:18:30 am »

Oh, and if it's Lovecraft you want: http://gutenberg.net.au/ebooks06/0600031h.html
A glorious 2.9 million characters of Lovecraft.

Tobel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Tobel Plays Youtube
« Reply #28601 on: October 20, 2013, 12:20:10 am »

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile
« Reply #28602 on: October 20, 2013, 12:20:42 am »

Gutenberg is a lifesaver. Doesn't mean I don't buy too many books...just that I buy fewer than I used to.

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #28603 on: October 20, 2013, 12:33:34 am »

Comcast. Comcast comcast comcast.

Fucking comcast.

http://www.reddit.com/r/technology/comments/1osy30/comcast_to_begin_capping_internet_usage_in/

Comcast.
Mediacom started this shit recently, as well. I've been forced to give in. I haven't the money to change providers lately, and it's been so long that by now, no message will be sent.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

lue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28604 on: October 20, 2013, 12:35:52 am »

Comcast. Comcast comcast comcast.

Fucking comcast.

http://www.reddit.com/r/technology/comments/1osy30/comcast_to_begin_capping_internet_usage_in/

Comcast.
Mediacom started this shit recently, as well. I've been forced to give in. I haven't the money to change providers lately, and it's been so long that by now, no message will be sent.
Where's the kickstarter for the people's ISP when you need one?
Pages: 1 ... 1905 1906 [1907] 1908 1909 ... 3345