Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1972 1973 [1974] 1975 1976 ... 3345

Author Topic: Things that made you RRRRRRAAAAGGGGEEEE today: Trust-o-nomics Edition  (Read 3524600 times)

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you RRRAAAAGGGGEEEE today: FLAC That Edition
« Reply #29595 on: November 18, 2013, 10:48:15 pm »

Oh no! Living in a house causes radiation!

We'll have to live on the streets. Gotta stay healthy, after all.
But there's radioactive material all over the planet! Our only recourse is to go into space, in crafts consisting of as minimal material as is possible. Only then can we hope to be safe.
Duh, MSH, we can't get away from the radiation in space. It's in the background if you go in space. I mean, not in the foreground, obviously, but what if you accidentally wind up in the background?

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Elephant Parade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29596 on: November 18, 2013, 10:48:27 pm »

But there's radioactive material all over the planet! Our only recourse is to go into space, in crafts consisting of as minimal material as is possible. Only then can we hope to be safe.
Nah, then we would be closer to the sun. We need to blow up the sun; it causes far too much cancer for the minor benefits to be worth it.

Iceblaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 50% less in-jokes!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29597 on: November 19, 2013, 09:42:04 am »

Oh how fun radiation is. The horrible side effects like slow painful death...

Good thing I only asked what radiation did once and once I heard never asked again :P

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #29598 on: November 19, 2013, 10:22:07 am »

Duh, MSH, we can't get away from the radiation in space. It's in the background if you go in space. I mean, not in the foreground, obviously, but what if you accidentally wind up in the background?
Obviously the only answer is to live in submarines due to the efficient ability of water to shield you from radiation as noted in the image below:
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #29599 on: November 19, 2013, 10:32:39 am »

But what if the submarine is a nuclear one?
Fill the inside with water as well.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #29600 on: November 19, 2013, 10:33:03 am »

Should be no problem if you flood the reactor compartment.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #29601 on: November 19, 2013, 10:36:23 am »

Obviously the only answer is to live in submarines due to the efficient ability of water to shield you from radiation as noted in the image below:

Replace the water with lead and you're good.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

IronTomato

• Bay Watcher
  • VENGEANCE
    • View Profile
« Reply #29602 on: November 19, 2013, 11:49:41 am »

Living in a submarine completely submerged in liquid lead, because "safety"?

Welcome to Bay 12.  :P

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #29603 on: November 19, 2013, 12:21:57 pm »

Living in a submarine completely submerged in liquid lead, because "safety"?

Welcome to Bay 12.  :P
Oh boss! I'm all about subs filled with molten lead, so siggin' this.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile
« Reply #29604 on: November 19, 2013, 12:28:18 pm »

God, I am so sick of this stupid, gamers going"Where's my fukkin game bitch", brainless moaning.

Game development is difficult. It's hard enough writing a book and that's just words. With coding, everything can go very wrong very fast and if your game is bugged heavily it can have a really bad outlook on your game, thus meaning that bug-detection is just as important as feature-adding and making the game look good. However, gamers seem to think that game development has three stages that all take place within a few weeks. First, vague idea. Second, pre-alpha demo. Third, finished and polished game with plenty of features. If a game doesn't follow this plan, it is an utter failure and needs to be canned.

This happens a lot with kickstarters, but let's use a different example: DayZ Standalone, the full-game version of the famous mod. They had to delay to make sure that their network wouldn't be compromised by hacking. This is annoying, but it is pretty necessary for an MMO: getting headshotted by a hacker who spawned in a sniper rifle and a lot of ammo the moment you step into a town is not good gameplay. However, on the comments for an article showing a video of alpha Day Z (Which I must say, looked pretty good: combat looked suitably panicked, zombies acted like zombies, and the interface just looks swell), it is a sign of the end times and a thing  Allow me to quote.
Quote from: Random Commenter
Rocket Dumbass Dean (the head of the development team) should have been fired ASAP and Bohemia (The publisher) should have handed this off to a real developer months ago. Dean has made every mistake in the book and totally blown a golden opportunity of a lifetime.

This DayZ mod thing went to his head and boy did it explode big-time. I'd call it George Lucas syndrome. Take the motion capture video for example, Dean dons the suit himself after the people that actually know wtf they're doing didn't do it like Dean wanted. What a "Lucas" move.

DayZ: Great game idea. DayZ Stand Alone: Text book what not to do in game dev.

So sad this game was handled by Dean, could have been great, now it's just another too little too late opportunity missed.
For those who don't want to read, he's complaining about the fact that the developer wanted to don the motion-capture suit himself. For a publicity video, I believe. You may panic now.

Kickstarter and Indiegogo and the smashing of the wall between developer and gamer is a great thing, but the entitlement level of gamers (Which was already through the roof) has skyrocketed. I think I'm just going to stop considering myself a gamer and more like a fellow who plays games, because this happens way more then it should.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #29605 on: November 19, 2013, 12:32:33 pm »

Y'see, this is what happens when you categorize people instead of eating them equally.

I mean treating them equally.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #29606 on: November 19, 2013, 12:59:45 pm »

To be fair, the standalone has been pushed back well over a year. It's the price you pay for being a homegrown success. You're not insulated from the fans like developers at AAA studios are.

Secondly, this is why I'm starting to loathe the cult of personality that forms around notable developers.* I feel like all this commercial success; Notch, Rocket and on.....are creating a new breed of developer who have to be both public faces as well as developers. On the one hand, it's nice to get to know the people that make the games we love. On the other....you get situations like this, where software/development failings get made into personal attacks on developers......and developers are spending time making PR and Marketing videos styled as "documentaries."

So yeah. I'm kind of wishing for the time when indie developers weren't being made into celebrities by the media and fans. Sure it may increase their exposure, but there are tons of hidden costs as well, as these guys have to learn how to navigate the public....instead of just making their game.

*I say unironically on the Bay12 forums, arguably a cult of its own formed around Toady One and Three-Toe.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29607 on: November 19, 2013, 01:02:59 pm »

*I say unironically on the Bay12 forums, arguably a cult of its own formed around Toady One and Three-Toe.
But see, the difference is that they assume people don't want to hear about them. Notch, for example, got really egotistical really fast. Toady just keeps on developing and posting blogs about what he's been working on. Nothing about his personal life (unless it's going to affect development).
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile
« Reply #29608 on: November 19, 2013, 01:04:52 pm »

Some indie dev should release their game while being completely anonymous. Going only by their username and only appearing in masks or something. I think that'd actually make things much easier for the dev and make the game interesting even if only for the mystery of the developer him/herself.

Toady just keeps on developing and posting blogs about what he's been working on. Nothing about his personal life (unless it's going to affect development).
And occasionally posting about Scamps, of course. But I think everyone wants to hear about Scamps.

You know, thinking about it, I think it's like we're having a resurrection of how it used to work in the old days. Like, take Sid Meier and Peter Molyneux. They were the faces of their game development teams as well. After a while, though, it then fell back to at best official statements from executives and maybe the occasional "person who helped develop [game]".
« Last Edit: November 19, 2013, 01:07:45 pm by Fniff »

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #29609 on: November 19, 2013, 01:07:24 pm »

Some indie dev should release their game while being completely anonymous. Going only by their username and only appearing in masks or something. I think that'd actually make things much easier for the dev and make the game interesting even if only for the mystery of the developer him/herself.

Hey, if Buckethead can pull this off while being a rock musician, it shouldn't be impossible for game development.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.
Pages: 1 ... 1972 1973 [1974] 1975 1976 ... 3345