Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2038 2039 [2040] 2041 2042 ... 3345

Author Topic: Things that made you RRRRRRAAAAGGGGEEEE today: Trust-o-nomics Edition  (Read 3419985 times)

IronTomato

• Bay Watcher
  • VENGEANCE
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you RRRAAAAGGGGEEEE today: You Can Unlock It Edition
« Reply #30585 on: December 19, 2013, 12:25:33 pm »

There was some dumb frigging Freshman Soirée in guidance earlier, and I stayed there instead of eating lunch because it was quieter than the lunchroom. The teacher hosting the thing kept on asking me to take whatever I wanted.

Well guess what, Misses? I am not a moron. If I were hungry enough to eat, I'd have taken something to eat. No, not from there. It would be from the lunchroom, because they've got actual food instead of sweets. The only reason I was still standing there was because you teachers do an extremely bad job of keeping every person in the lunchroom from shouting at once.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #30586 on: December 19, 2013, 12:26:51 pm »

Sorry, but bad drivers make me very angry.

The number one indicator that you're a bad driver :P

It's the number one indicator you don't have tolerance for people who drive like shit. People who drive like they're the only one of the fucking road. People who drive like they're only half paying attention. People who seem think the rest of the world must wait for their fool ass to figure out what they're doing. If you're not angry at the guy who randomly cuts across three lanes of traffic because they weren't thinking ahead, you're part of the problem.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #30587 on: December 19, 2013, 12:58:40 pm »

If you're not angry at the guy who randomly cuts across three lanes of traffic because they weren't thinking ahead, you're part of the problem.
What if anger isn't my default response to incompetence?
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

IronTomato

• Bay Watcher
  • VENGEANCE
    • View Profile
« Reply #30588 on: December 19, 2013, 12:59:49 pm »

If you're not angry at the guy who randomly cuts across three lanes of traffic because they weren't thinking ahead, you're part of the problem.
If that's so, then I envy you.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #30589 on: December 19, 2013, 12:59:58 pm »

Purely anecdotal, but I hear about more accidents caused by road rage than anything else. Some dude around here killed himself and someone else due to driving down the wrong lane so he could yell directly at another driver.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #30590 on: December 19, 2013, 01:05:41 pm »

If that's so, then I envy you.
Don't get me wrong, there are times it happens (mostly at work), but my response to dumbasses on the road usually starts off with fear and moves on to relief when they're gone. Then a wish for stricter licensing requirements, followed by a realization that it'll never happen because of how much of the population relies on cars for day-to-day travel in the US, followed by regret.

Anger does show up when somebody does something stupid for selfish reasons, though. I see somebody blasting along at 90+ and weaving through traffic, slowing everyone else down as they try to stay out of the madman's way... that'll do it.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #30591 on: December 19, 2013, 01:07:03 pm »

Nenjin, no. If you can't control your emotions while piloting a 1-2 ton heavy murderwagon of death (and anger is easily the emotion that makes you the most unfocused beyond perhaps blind panic), you're the one who doesn't belong on the road. Bad roadside behaviour is never fun tor anyone, but getting fruitlessly angry at other drivers just makes you a worse driver in turn.
Love, scriver~

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #30592 on: December 19, 2013, 02:02:50 pm »

Angry people on the road seem to be way more of a problem than any of the other people you listed. Only "intoxicated" seems to have worse results.

So yea, if you're getting angry on the road, gonna second that it you are probably part of the problem. The guy you are getting mad at might also be part of the problem, but that doesn't forgive you actively contributing to it.

In what we is people NOT getting angry part of the problem, anyway? I honestly can't even follow the logic. Do you actually believe that your anger somehow does... something to alleviate the issue... somehow?

Lagslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • stand-up philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #30593 on: December 19, 2013, 02:08:10 pm »

I hope none of you are implying that it's Nenjin's fault that it angers him.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #30594 on: December 19, 2013, 02:11:04 pm »

To illustrate how utterly fucked up Youtube is, people who made and posted actual original content are getting copyright claims against themselves.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/130667-YouTube-Issued-Copyright-Claims-Against-Miracle-of-Sound
What.

Or that time Terry Cavanagh got bapped with a copyright thing for a video of VVVVV, which he made. Turns out the claim was from the guy who made the music. He's getting the same copyright claims against him.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #30595 on: December 19, 2013, 02:22:58 pm »

I think we should probably clear up here that it's not generally anybody actually manually making the copyright claims. It's Youtube's automatic contentID system doing it on their behalf.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #30596 on: December 19, 2013, 03:21:46 pm »

I just spent hours over a physics problem, finally got a result, and wondered why that result is so low. Turns out I forgot to consider gravity. >:C

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #30597 on: December 19, 2013, 03:49:21 pm »

I just spent hours over a physics problem, finally got a result, and wondered why that result is so low. Turns out I forgot to consider gravity. >:C

Bay12 overexposure in its finest. Next time you struggle with a physics problem, try applying magma first, it might have good results as well.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #30598 on: December 19, 2013, 03:55:21 pm »

[xmas card]

This is an open letter to everyone in Washington State.

I want to love you, because a life full of love is better than a life full of hate. But, and I cannot help this because I am human, my love your you wanes in direct proportion to how much I need to compete with you for scarce resources.

If I am starving and huddled over a morsel, and you are also starving and eyeing my morsel, and the morsel will cause one of us to live and the other to die, I must choose my survival and your death. And so I must choose to love myself and hate you in order to make that choice.

Scarce resources are not all morsels and mates, though. Take space in traffic for example. We both need to get where we're going, right? There's only so much road and a lot of cars that want a share of it. So when I'm surrounded by people who desperately press into the segment of road that my car is currently occupying, I begin to view the road as a scarce resource.

Of course that section of road is nowhere near as dramatically important, as vital, as the single morsel of food to a starving man. Similarly, I would not fight to the death over a segment of road - that would be ridiculous.

But I must say, competition with you over a scarce resource makes me love you less and hate you more. It is anthropological, biological. It vibrates every cell of me with a song of conflict.

Surprisingly, and unlike most similar things in life, you have control over how much I love you right now. You can stay the fuck at home and stop clogging the stores with your filthy mouthbreathing corpus and tribe of offspring. Your petty errands are unimportant. If you absolutely must seep forth from your dwelling-hole, you can at least drive right instead of like a douchebag.

You might say I can be the one to choose to stay home. I love you significantly less as soon as that petulant lisp escapes your cracked lips. Me staying home will not make me hate you less because it will magnify my hate by the factor of my resentment toward you all. Your impact on my love for you is based on the inconvenience I experience because of you; being unable to get shit done is an immense inconvenience to me.

You might wonder why I am so much more important than you. Of course I am more important to me than you are to me; I don't give two shits about you. That's the heart of this matter: the issue here is what you all do for me, not the other way around. If you want to write an open letter to all of Washington State, perhaps after brushing up on your English and actually finishing high school, please do.  One of the tenets of American freedom is that we all have the right to ridicule the pitiful squeak and burble you summon from your vapid, pointless imagination.

So consider, please, this wonderful holiday season, that in maximizing my love for you, you are contributing to peace and goodwill which is after all what Christmas is all about.

[/xmas card]
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned
Haunter of Birthday Cakes, Bearded Hamburger, Intensely Off-Topic

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #30599 on: December 19, 2013, 04:09:13 pm »

I am more than willing to offer assistance with any physics problems at any time.... ;)
This is a blank sig.
Pages: 1 ... 2038 2039 [2040] 2041 2042 ... 3345