Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2053 2054 [2055] 2056 2057 ... 3345

Author Topic: Things that made you RRRRRRAAAAGGGGEEEE today: Trust-o-nomics Edition  (Read 3425109 times)

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you RRRAAAAGGGGEEEE today: Road Rules Edition
« Reply #30810 on: December 28, 2013, 10:35:55 am »

Aaargh, my day just now started and its already 1300! That's 1 in the afternoon if you don't understand military time!
What's "military time"? It's like when you have a 24-hour day?
I'm probably using the wrong term, but yes. Instead of using am and pm with 12 hours each, you just have 24 hours and that's that.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Avis-Mergulus

• Bay Watcher
  • This adorable animal can't work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #30811 on: December 28, 2013, 10:51:11 am »

Aaargh, my day just now started and its already 1300! That's 1 in the afternoon if you don't understand military time!
I'm probably using the wrong term, but yes. Instead of using am and pm with 12 hours each, you just have 24 hours and that's that.
Where I am, that's just regular time. Thanks, anyway.
“See this Payam!” cried the gods, “He deceives us! He cruelly abuses our lustful hearts!”

Kadzar

• Bay Watcher
  • Descan Pengwind
    • View Profile
« Reply #30812 on: December 28, 2013, 11:17:11 am »

No, you used the term correctly, or at least that is how our military keeps time. It's just that, for reasons I have yet to look into, some countries (or maybe just one? I really haven't looked into it at all) use 24 hour time.
What if the earth is just a knick in one of the infinite swords of the mighty fractal bear?
Glory to Arstotzka!

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #30813 on: December 28, 2013, 12:21:54 pm »

I wonder if there are any games where there is no leveling and equipment is the only measure of progress? That could be interesting.
It isn't items only, as there are other ways to gain power, but I'm working on a game with no xp system.

Of all the RPG systems I've looked at, Burning Wheel has my favorite progression scheme.

It's a dice-pool system.  You don't gain xp.  Instead, you have to make a certain number of die rolls of certain levels of difficulty in order to increase for a given skill or stat-related pool.  These requirements are meant to push your character's limits.  You have to pull off extraordinary stuff that is impossible with normal rolls.  The way you have to pull it off is through role-playing.  You're required to keep a short, running list of your character's world-views, short-term goals, and long-term goals.  It's part of character creation, you maintain it throughout the game, and their structure is loosely codified in the game rules with actual gameplay consequences.  When you act in accordance with these things, you earn bonuses (and there are different kinds, according to what type of thing you did in relation to what) that you get to keep and use later.  If you use those bonuses towards more good role-play stuff, for example you got some bonuses from achieving a short-term goal and use them for something that's significant to a long-term goal, then they tend to multiply.  As such, you can significantly boost your roles at moments that make for good storytelling, and this is what you have to do in order to meet the requirements for advancing your character.  And unlike any other game I've ever seen, advancement isn't guaranteed.  You have to do significant things, take big risks, and contribute to dramatic moments in the story if you want your character to achieve greatness.  If you want to get to living legend territory, you'll hit points where earning that next small step in character advancement will only be possible at big finale moments of whole story arcs.

Example:  Let's say your strength is 4d6.  In order to increase to 5d6 or raise your die level to d8s, your check list will be something like: 

Succeed in 5 tests that require 4 successes at difficulty 5
Succeed in 3 tests that require 2 successes at difficulty 8
Succeed in 1 test that requires 4 successes at difficulty 8

In order to achieve this, you'll have to make strength tests at moments that really matter in regards to the world-views and goals you've written for your character.  Smash through a locked door to free the leader of the resistance movement against the empire: get an extra die to throw into another test.  Use that die to help move a boulder to gain access to a cave where some artifact is hidden that's essential to your quest: Get an automatic success on another test of you choosing.  Grab a bunch of bonuses like this and save them for the final dramatic moment where you need 4 successes at difficulty 8 in order to hold up the collapsing support structure of a building while your party fights the final battle against the evil emperor inside.  Congratulations, your character pushed his strength to a previously unattainable limit, and defined it as a core element of his character, by using it in ways that directly advanced the plot, culminating in an iconic piece of storytelling.  It makes sense in every possible way for your character to advance to 5d6 strength.  All because the system actively motivates good role-playing and facilitates plot, where the vast majority of dice systems don't really care if you're using the rules for storytelling or just meaninglessly playing with numbers.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2013, 12:57:21 pm by SalmonGod »
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Avis-Mergulus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #30814 on: December 28, 2013, 12:23:57 pm »

No, you used the term correctly, or at least that is how our military keeps time. It's just that, for reasons I have yet to look into, some countries (or maybe just one? I really haven't looked into it at all) use 24 hour time.
Most countries use 24-hour time, at least according to Wikipedia. It's just America, Canada, and a bunch of others who use the pm-am system.
“See this Payam!” cried the gods, “He deceives us! He cruelly abuses our lustful hearts!”

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #30815 on: December 28, 2013, 12:30:17 pm »

Military time is a bit different to 24 hour time; 24 hour time has a colon in-between the hour and the minute, while military time doesn't.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Avis-Mergulus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #30816 on: December 28, 2013, 12:35:25 pm »

Military time is a bit different to 24 hour time; 24 hour time has a colon in-between the hour and the minute, while military time doesn't.
And that's important, kids.
But seriously, only what is called "military time" in America doesn't have a colon (poor thing) and uses letters to denote timezones. Military time in my country, for example, is no different from civilian time. And don't you give our soldiers ideas, because they would grab anything that gives them a reason to lord over the civvies with hands and teeth, and they're insufferable enough already.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #30817 on: December 28, 2013, 01:58:56 pm »

Today I was once again woken by my brother screaming at the top of his lungs and smashing his fists on the counter, threatening my mother, apparently because his life is soooo hard he cant stand criticism about having left part of the groceries in the car overnight. Yep, it's all our fault and he can't be held accountable for his mistakes. I should have thrown his ass in prison last time he assaulted me.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #30818 on: December 28, 2013, 02:08:32 pm »

Ice. Always ice. And no store in town has salt, because they're all sold out.

Additionally, my mother is pissed at me.

Avis-Mergulus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #30819 on: December 28, 2013, 02:36:42 pm »

No...salt? Do you live in Cameroon or something?

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #30820 on: December 28, 2013, 02:47:24 pm »

No...salt? Do you live in Cameroon or something?

Like I said, all the stores are all sold out. The only other options are over-priced 'liquid ice thinner' and buying heaps of table salt.

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile
« Reply #30821 on: December 28, 2013, 02:57:19 pm »

What the hell kind of situation that involves a whole town results in a complete lack of salt?

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #30822 on: December 28, 2013, 03:05:44 pm »

a salt mogul attempting to make massive profits out of the fact that charlie sheen is visiting town?

that or you know

ice

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #30823 on: December 28, 2013, 03:07:11 pm »

Well, there was the ice storm from last weekend. Most things are still iced over. Plus the news just said there will be another cold front coming in.

There are still people without electricity. My dad only just got his power back yesterday.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #30824 on: December 28, 2013, 03:09:54 pm »

Table salt is surely still available, but that's a different thing. Calcium chloride for road salt, I think? It'd be horribly inefficient to buy table salt and try to clear space with it, anyway.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.
Pages: 1 ... 2053 2054 [2055] 2056 2057 ... 3345