Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2069 2070 [2071] 2072 2073 ... 3345

Author Topic: Things that made you RRRRRRAAAAGGGGEEEE today: Trust-o-nomics Edition  (Read 3429303 times)

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
Re: Things that made you RRRAAAAGGGGEEEE today: Road Rules Edition
« Reply #31050 on: January 04, 2014, 09:19:21 am »

I just found this:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
I can't believe that someone thought it was okay to say something like this.
She was a PR executive.
A PR EXECUTIVE SAID THIS
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #31051 on: January 04, 2014, 09:24:39 am »

I just found this:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
I can't believe that someone thought it was okay to say something like this.
Is it bad that I'm more appalled at the poor sense of humor than at the poor taste of the joke? If at least it was funny... but it's just offensive enough to, well, be offensive, but nothing beyond that.
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #31052 on: January 04, 2014, 12:46:58 pm »

I've heard a few people claim she was actually taking a dig at the white ruling class for not caring about the AIDS epidemic among the black populace.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31053 on: January 04, 2014, 12:54:47 pm »

I've heard a few people claim she was actually taking a dig at the white ruling class for not caring about the AIDS epidemic among the black populace.

today i learned apartheid is not dead

welp, time to make aids jokes and cover my ass with it

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #31054 on: January 04, 2014, 01:02:51 pm »

Racism doesn't die overnight :P
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #31055 on: January 04, 2014, 01:10:39 pm »

As a PR exec, she should have known sarcasm doesn't exactly translate well through text.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #31056 on: January 04, 2014, 01:14:19 pm »

Indeed. Best case scenario she was still being irresponsible and not double checking what she's saying.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #31057 on: January 04, 2014, 01:38:49 pm »

You guys are forgetting the part where she was fired from her PR position before her plane touched the ground.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #31058 on: January 04, 2014, 02:07:49 pm »

That's fair. People do deserve the chance to at least defend themselves. Then again, I think there are some things you can say publicly that do warrant near instant termination (she was on like a 16 hour international flight.) What those things are vary by company.

But I mean, this is the speed the world works at now. People blurt stuff out without thinking, and observers and employers react quickly and viscerally. Same thing with the Duck Dynasty media circus. Anything you choose to do or say publicly now has Twitter-speed consequences. (Also, props to A&E having the courage of their convictions. And yes, I mean that ironically.)
« Last Edit: January 04, 2014, 02:09:37 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31059 on: January 04, 2014, 02:09:30 pm »

That's fair. People do deserve the chance to at least defend themselves. Then again, I think there are some things you can say publicly that do warrant near instant termination (she was on like a 16 hour international flight.) What those things are vary by company.

But I mean, this is the speed the world works at. People blurt stuff out without thinking, and observers and employers react quickly and viscerally. Same thing with the Duck Dynasty media circus. Anything you choose to do or say publicly now has Twitter-speed consequences.

and this is why the last time people put their name right next to their honest opinions was back when all of this was just a bunch of universities connected to each other

gj internet

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31060 on: January 04, 2014, 03:02:02 pm »

Still looks wrong to me. The apostrophe does not belong here.

About the computer, did you try cleaning the radiators or defragging? Both tend to help a lot.

I meant the original post.

And the reason it was going slow was apparently because when I quit playing Starbound, it decided not to actually close properly. I had to force it to close through task manager, since the window disappeared.

But I probably am overdue for a defrag.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you RRRAAAAGGGGEEEE today: At The Speed Of RAGE Edition
« Reply #31061 on: January 04, 2014, 04:29:09 pm »

Eh, ending the process of some games (KSP, Skyrim) significantly reduces residual lag.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #31062 on: January 04, 2014, 08:13:24 pm »

Steve Warren's singing makes me rage today. This guy is apparently among the most popular Gospel singers in America. Ugh.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #31063 on: January 04, 2014, 11:46:57 pm »

Ehn. Imo, there's few things quite as archetypal of sturgeon's revelation as american gospel, especially the sort that you can colloquially refer to as "white" gospel (i.e., typified by protestants and whatnot. The counterpoint is what I usually see called African gospel, which produces a hell of a lot more things worth listening to. That stuff can get pumpin', which I can respect. Lot of it is still crap, but.). Can't speak of other cultures, but being where I am, I've heard a lot of it over the years. Nearly all of it is utter shit, even in comparison to normal signal:noise ratios, by any measure you care to measure it by. In regards to just the music, in regards to the lyrics, in regards to the vocals, in regards to the theology behind half or better of the bloody messages involves. I've literally heard more rap of musical merit than I have gospel.

It's just... it's another one of those things. Rap and gospel even share a vocal tradition! One which they're letting down on a near constant basis. It makes my soul cry. I guess... I guess "song" producers have realized they have an audience they can shovel manure into and get away with it, and so... do? It's not like there's not been pretty darn good gospel produced over the years, even from the perspective of someone not particularly interested in the message or original -- good music is good music. Barbershop Quarter's "Swing Low, Sweet Chariot" will be on my playlists until the day I die. Somehow, it's like most modern gospel (at least, that I've heard, which is still, y'know, at minimum a few hundred) is actively attempting to avoid making anything approaching good music. And I don't know whyyyyy *hair pulling*

There's days y'want to pick up an instrument and learn y'some songwriting just to offset the burgeoning tides of musical sludge a little
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Willfor

• Bay Watcher
  • The great magmaman adventurer. I do it for hugs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31064 on: January 05, 2014, 01:27:06 am »

As someone who used to sell quite a bit of Southern Gospel music, there is a singular demographic that it actually appeals to: Old white people. At least from my anecdotal evidence. Strangely enough, the fact that its principle audience didn't pirate it during the internet music revolution is what managed to keep it afloat despite its lack of change for ... several decades. There are people who like its musical stylings no matter how bogged down it is, and in fact, its principle artists are often encouraged not to innovate in any way. They will by the CDs, DVDs, video cassettes, no matter how bad it is. And they will complain like nothing else if it isn't ... Southern Gospel. Basically.

Plus side: This is more what the future of music you'll get from white Christians over the radio is going to sound like once the people who grew up on Audio Adrenaline, Delirious?, and DC Talk hit their 40s and beyond.

--

While I'm on this topic that I could go on forever about in my own varying emotions about -- Christian music of varying sorts -- I shall express a little bit of long pent up rage. Well, it started with bemusement, and has slowly over time built up into a rage.

Let's set the scene. 2001. I'm an angsty Christian teenager who is addicted to Christian rock, making my own games, watching TV, not having a whole lot of social life. There's this rising starlet of the Christian rock scene, Jennifer Knapp, and she's working her way up there onto my absolute favourites of all times list. This song in particular helps get me through this dark period in my life, which I later heard described as "easily the best distillation of the entire passion play into a single song." Which I tend to agree with. Anyway, basically, after she released this album she disappeared. Not "died" disappeared, but she took a very long break which convinced me that she was never going to make music again. This made me pretty sad, but the years passed, and I still had the music she made while she was active. Music that held up over time.

Let's fast forward to 2009 when I am far more liberal than I've ever been, and I get the news that Jennifer Knapp came out of the closet when a coworker walks into the receiving room and listens to me playing Jennifer Knapp over the sound system. It brings us both into a discussion of her music, fun times were had. But that got me looking into the announcement because I realized that that would probably have explained her disappearance. Then I found out that she was going to make another album.

You have no idea how long I waited to hear these sweet tones. Unfortunately, as you can probably tell by the view count there on Youtube, not a whole lot of her original audience agreed with me. And 2014 is here, and she's working on another album which I am anticipating because I plan to buy it. But my rage at the fact that her fanbase, people who I am forced to associate my name with due to a common creed, are so stupid, STUPID about sexuality in general, that she's not selling as much as she really should be. Even a couple of other Christian artists made announcements of their standing in solidarity with her, and it did ... nothing. :|

And the longer this goes about the same the more pissed off I get about it, because fuck everything, I thought things were going to get better faster. But it's a slow slog, and it's a shame, and ugh.
In the wells of livestock vans with shells and garden sands /
Iron mixed with oxygen as per the laws of chemistry and chance /
A shape was roughly human, it was only roughly human /
Apparition eyes / Apparition eyes / Knock, apparition, knock / Eyes, apparition eyes /
Pages: 1 ... 2069 2070 [2071] 2072 2073 ... 3345