Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2121 2122 [2123] 2124 2125 ... 3345

Author Topic: Things that made you RRRRRRAAAAGGGGEEEE today: Trust-o-nomics Edition  (Read 3383784 times)

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you RRRAAAAGGGGEEEE today: Too Sexy For This Thread Edition
« Reply #31830 on: January 20, 2014, 05:33:53 pm »

Make your desktop a picture of a bunch of knots.
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned
Haunter of Birthday Cakes, Bearded Hamburger, Intensely Off-Topic

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you RRRAAAAGGGGEEEE today: Too Sexy For This Thread Edition
« Reply #31831 on: January 20, 2014, 05:37:33 pm »

Have Cyriak running. All the time.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #31832 on: January 20, 2014, 05:39:59 pm »

Or load up a jump scare video.
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31833 on: January 20, 2014, 05:40:57 pm »

"lolololol server not found"
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #31834 on: January 20, 2014, 05:44:21 pm »

All things decay; entropy should be expected. When I posted that I knew one day the link would stop working. Perhaps the file became corrupted and was cleared, or the server reverted to a backup that lacked it. Perhaps the contemplative and long-suffering server, slowly turning the options over in its electronic mind, decided that today was a good day to die. I knew one day that link would stop working and I was okay with that.

I just didn't expect it to be today.
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned

PyroDesu

• Bay Watcher
  • Schist happens
    • View Profile
« Reply #31835 on: January 20, 2014, 05:46:33 pm »

All things decay; entropy should be expected. When I posted that I knew one day the link would stop working. Perhaps the file became corrupted and was cleared, or the server reverted to a backup that lacked it. Perhaps the contemplative and long-suffering server, slowly turning the options over in its electronic mind, decided that today was a good day to die. I knew one day that link would stop working and I was okay with that.

Except it's still there, I can see it fine.

Perhaps Sirus' truck stop's wifi won't let him see it?
Quote from: syvarris
Pyro is probably some experimental government R&D AI.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31836 on: January 20, 2014, 05:47:14 pm »

No, that was the message I was getting with blocked websites. Which are somehow no longer blocked. I dunno, it works now O_o

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #31837 on: January 20, 2014, 05:54:23 pm »

Springtime has come again!  :P

$5 for a days' slow internet sucks. It's a hotel right? A few years back was a heyday when everyone started offering free wifi, and now the hotels are realizing they can squeeze an extra $10 out of a good chunk of their guests every day. It's the ongoing itemization of fees which turns a $150 plane ticket into a $200 one. They want to offer the cheapest rate on comparison websites - so why not create an industry standard and/or law that requires full disclosure of costs when advertising an offer?

Plus when the TSA squeezes my balls I feel like I should tip. Maybe a tenner if I get off? No idea what the social expectations are with that one.
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #31838 on: January 20, 2014, 05:59:51 pm »

Have a cyanide synthesis diagram as your background.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31839 on: January 20, 2014, 06:00:15 pm »

Truck stop. And now I'm coming to the conclusion that they aren't blocking things, the network just sucks. Every once in a while a website that previously failed to load will load. And then it will fail again.

To be fair, usually $5 at a truck stop gets you unlimited (though often kinda slow) internet with, as far as I can usually tell, no restrictions on websites or content. This one is an exception.

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #31840 on: January 20, 2014, 06:26:15 pm »

Original convo in the Morrowind thread on Other Games, but I figured it was more relevantly posted here.

I hate how some children do those screams. It's because they don't realize that there are certain screams you save for when you are dying. If you do that scream and everyone looks at you and you are not dying, everyone will be very mad at you.

And you will definitely not get the candies. If you do the death-scream and your parent gives you the candies to shut you up, everyone will be very mad at the parent too.

We are very lucky to live in a civilized society where people will only be very mad and not do anything more.
Yeah, screaming kids makes me hates this whole "don't murder kids" taboo we have going on.
Right, so I realized I need to explain this better.

1: When someone does a death scream, as a human, my response is as follows, in this order:
A: Oh no! There is someone dying suddenly nearby!
B: They are dying because of some terrible threat! I need to make sure I know where this threat is so I will not also die!
C: I need to help anyone around me not die to this thing, especially the child who is currently dying!

This is a combination of two extremely powerful psychological/physiological reactions to the sound. A child in danger, and a life-threatening event. That shit puts a human being on 110% Fight Or Flight instantly.

Of course, what really happens is that you never get more of an outward physical reaction than a hunch of the shoulders and a grimace. This is because as soon as your body has flushed itself with adrenaline and you've momentarily gone bonkers, your civilized brain steps in and goes, "Look, it's just a shitty kid. There are no velociraptors or whatever. You can see him right there. You know there's nothing dangerous around here." So while internally your body is trying to recover from fight-or-flight stimulation, externally it's socially unacceptable for you to do anything more than glare at the kid. And if you glare too hard the mom gets bitchy.

So there's this intense emotion you feel, which is entirely pro-human, and then you instantly find that it's some brat punking everyone because he isn't able to assert his desires and get whatever he wants - and that, just as instinctively as you responded to it, the kid instinctively knows that this is the way he can get Absolute Utmost Attention. And he thinks this is the way to assert himself and get what he wants.

In general, what a kid wants is not what's good for him, in decreasing correlation to his emotional maturity and in general to his age. He needs to learn how to behave in civilized society, how to take care of himself when he's older, how to speak well and intelligently to attract allies and a mate. He needs to learn all these things, and part of learning them is accepting direction from the parent. A hugely important part of success in life is moderating your desires, accepting that you cannot have everything that you want at all times. The parent generally needs to help the child understand that.  For these reasons, it is inevitable that a kid will want X, the parent has decided that X is not what he should have, and denies the child. Denial of the child's desires is therefore not something that needs to happen constantly, it's not like we're in a boot camp or something, but it's going to happen eventually - and it is good and necessary that it happens.

If the kid does this stuff regularly, he's not being raised right. His parents, too permissive, aren't preparing him for the various disappointments of the real adult world. The adult form of his shitty larval stage is gonna be just as shitty. That adult represents a weak link, a possible free-rider, a possible criminal or outcast. Resources spent on him hope to be worthwhile despite his shittiness, to raise him up to the level of a normal person, to try our hardest to polish the common mudstone of his personality until it shines.

If you don't react this way to a death-scream, consider this: when you encounter danger, you personally, is your initial reaction to stand still or to escape to safety? I'm sure you've had a moment when a car stopped just short of you, or someone was about to run into you, whatever. Most people freeze. Most people halt and think about what's going on. Most people would get killed by that velociraptor (or injured cougar, or man-eating tiger, or hurtling trailer). I'm stuck actually feeling dem empathies for the person who lets out the death scream. To find that they're just manipulating me for their own petty power struggles over a pack of pretzels?

I'm not gonna kill that kid, but maybe I'm not gonna go out of my way to pull his ass out of a fire either.

Of course, the immediate problem when saving people is that you don't know if they're shitty or not. So even that would never come up.
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #31841 on: January 21, 2014, 12:30:21 am »

Okay, I don't get it.

I am resigning myself. I am... asking for help. I love finding things out myself so much, but this I just can't even start to begin to think why this could be.

How is it that both f(x) and g(x) are valid at 13 and 14 and not f(g(x))? There is no other instruction that would indicate such a thing.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31842 on: January 21, 2014, 12:33:40 am »

f(g(13)) = f(15) -> 15 not in domain of f

f(g(14)) = f(16) -> 16 not in domain of f
« Last Edit: January 21, 2014, 12:49:24 am by Vector »
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #31843 on: January 21, 2014, 12:44:35 am »

thanks

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #31844 on: January 21, 2014, 02:07:21 am »

That's the last math class I took, and almost bombed, like five years ago. Just barely passed and got the credits. No way am I gonna be able to do that unless I relearn it :/
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned
Pages: 1 ... 2121 2122 [2123] 2124 2125 ... 3345