Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2220 2221 [2222] 2223 2224 ... 3345

Author Topic: Things that made you RRRRRRAAAAGGGGEEEE today: Trust-o-nomics Edition  (Read 3382394 times)

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you RRRAAAAGGGGEEEE today: Armed and Sleepy Edition
« Reply #33315 on: March 06, 2014, 12:42:52 pm »

Yeah... Intelligence and strength, the two things most racists say are different between the races (whites being smarter, of course) were decided before Homo Sapiens left Africa,  and then went on to diversify into the various ethnicities. Everything else is either cultural or just stereotyping. (Such as Asian men being good at math.)
Huh? People from Northern Germany are definitely taller (and more blonde) than those from Souhern Germany - why should such differences not exist with, let's say, muscle strength? A slight mutation of the gene responsible for testosterone production would be sufficient...

High muscle strength is a universally beneficial trait, unless it would be coupled with something negative - like sickle cell anemia in reverse. So, there is a selective pressure that eliminates extremely low strength and favors medium and high. Meanwhile height and melanin levels are beneficial in certain climates and detrimental in others, so in one region evolution might select for low height and in other for high height.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33316 on: March 06, 2014, 12:51:35 pm »

Yeah... Intelligence and strength, the two things most racists say are different between the races (whites being smarter, of course) were decided before Homo Sapiens left Africa,  and then went on to diversify into the various ethnicities. Everything else is either cultural or just stereotyping. (Such as Asian men being good at math.)
Huh? People from Northern Germany are definitely taller (and more blonde) than those from Souhern Germany - why should such differences not exist with, let's say, muscle strength? A slight mutation of the gene responsible for testosterone production would be sufficient...

High muscle strength is a universally beneficial trait, unless it would be coupled with something negative - like sickle cell anemia in reverse. So, there is a selective pressure that eliminates extremely low strength and favors medium and high. Meanwhile height and melanin levels are beneficial in certain climates and detrimental in others, so in one region evolution might select for low height and in other for high height.
I assure you, Lower Saxony and the Rhineland are not so different that that explanation would hold. That explanation also demands that peoples with a common (recent) ancestor who settled in similar regions should stay identical: Again, that is not the case.
(And height is not universally beneficial: Just ask my spine.)
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #33317 on: March 06, 2014, 01:11:25 pm »

Well, one thing I can immediately think of is increased metabolism - the brain and muscles are some of the most resource-intensive organs in the body as far as food consumption is concerned.  A genetic predisposition towards increased muscle density would increase the risk of starvation in times of dire need, as the body would effectively be forced to consume itself sooner in order to feed that increased muscle mass per the same unit volume, and in genetic terms, it's not very long ago that we left behind the risk of starvation due to one bad harvest even in the First World alone (completely neglecting those parts of the world where this threat is still a thing).  It's also something that cannot be simply selected since it presumably relies on a wide range of genetic alleles that may vary in a myriad of permutations, and thus would be difficult to select for even over multiple generations. 

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33318 on: March 06, 2014, 01:18:43 pm »

The weather was not bad today, so there is that. Though it's still cold, and I lost my gloves. And my step-dad is bitching me out about wearing boots, and that I should be wearing running shoes, even though there's still snow everywhere.

My project looks like garbage. It literally hurts my eyes to look at. And there is nothing I can do about it, since the partner who currently has the slideshow thinks it looks great. I point out a flaw, and it gets ignored and/or I get insulted. It breaks just about every presentation rule that my teacher taught us.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33319 on: March 06, 2014, 01:22:24 pm »

My project looks like garbage. It literally hurts my eyes to look at. And there is nothing I can do about it, since the partner who currently has the slideshow thinks it looks great. I point out a flaw, and it gets ignored and/or I get insulted. It breaks just about every presentation rule that my teacher taught us.

You should weaponize it! Use your project to burn out the teacher's eyes, that way they can't give you bad grades.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33320 on: March 06, 2014, 01:36:23 pm »

You should weaponize it! Use your project to burn out the teacher's eyes, that way they can't give you bad grades.

I don't think grades work that way. Plus the unintended casualties and the risk of self-immolation would be too high.

Knit tie

• Bay Watcher
  • Consider avatar too slim until end of diet.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33321 on: March 06, 2014, 04:10:40 pm »

So, uh, you guys want to hear how I tested my iceaxe on wolves?

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33322 on: March 06, 2014, 04:13:14 pm »

Not particularly.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

NAV

• Bay Watcher
  • I have an idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #33323 on: March 06, 2014, 04:13:24 pm »

I have a 5 foot long claymore resting about a foot from my bed. I also have a shield, ball-peen hammer, spiked knuckles, and a dart gun in my room.

yes
Highmax…dead, flesh torn from him, though his skill with the sword was unmatched…military…Nearly destroyed .. Rhunorah... dead... Mastahcheese returns...dead. Gaul...alive, still locked in combat. NAV...Alive, drinking booze....
The face on the toaster does not look like one of mercy.

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33324 on: March 06, 2014, 04:13:43 pm »

Yes, please.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #33325 on: March 06, 2014, 04:14:05 pm »

I was under the impression that Black Americans benefited genetically/physically from slave breeding as well.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I don't think there's much evidence for that. This seems like a good post explaining why that's not true.

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #33326 on: March 06, 2014, 04:14:30 pm »

* MagmaMcFry is listening.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #33327 on: March 06, 2014, 04:20:58 pm »

* MagmaMcFry is listening.
+1
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33328 on: March 06, 2014, 04:25:21 pm »

*eager nodding all around*
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33329 on: March 06, 2014, 04:26:29 pm »

Any bets on this being a "Psyche!" thing or something?
Pages: 1 ... 2220 2221 [2222] 2223 2224 ... 3345