Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2229 2230 [2231] 2232 2233 ... 3345

Author Topic: Things that made you RRRRRRAAAAGGGGEEEE today: Trust-o-nomics Edition  (Read 3383539 times)

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you RRRAAAAGGGGEEEE today: Armed and Sleepy Edition
« Reply #33450 on: March 07, 2014, 05:19:49 pm »

So if someone sells something you don't approve of it's "taking advantage of people who are not as smart as me"?

No.  I literally think it's actual false advertising, since they're treating this like a vaguely professional manga development tool rather than something that will get you laughed off the planet if you show up with it.  "Impressive and professional-looking manga" my ass.

People can recognize games made in Game Maker pretty easily, right?  But this is worse, because the people who manufactured it apparently didn't know things like "all manga is black and white."  Or that thought clouds are an American convention, whereas the Japanese convention looks either like this (see middle panel) or in a more modern, shonen style, like this.  Or that those two styles of school uniform would basically never be seen together at the same school, since the male blazer version is more common of fantasy private academies, and the sailor suit look is more common of public middle schools nowadays.  So the correct pairing would be gakuran and sailor fuku, or two blazer-based uniforms.

Oh, and she's wearing a summer uniform, while he's wearing a winter uniform.  Don't even get me started on the crowd scene where his blazer is the only dark blue one with everyone else's teal, because this device has an abysmally bad case of "everyone has the exact same face and haircut."

Oh, and the story they're telling shows that the people who put together the trailer know literally nothing about framing and pacing comics.  Literally.  Nothing.

This is what I'm trying to say: I don't have a problem with people putting their shitty manga makers up on Steam, but MAYBE, just maybe, they'd like to take two minutes doing the things that would make it look like they know ANYTHING about the convention they're supposedly working in.  This is the work of appropriative piece-of-shit jagoffs with no respect for manga and the desire to make a quick buck off of people who are too young and stupid to recognize what's happening.

No, weeaboos are not going to be all over this, because most weeaboos out of elementary school know betterAmerimanga by professional artists is not selling because the fans know that it isn't what they want.  And I'm furious, because these assholes seem to think that we manga fans didn't learn anything about what we were reading, and can't tell the difference between shit made by Americans and Japanese people.  Or that we don't care.

Yes, we can tell that you aren't actually a Japanese artist when you try to sell us "How to Draw Manga" books.  We can tell you got a pen deal with Copic and aren't actually telling us anything about the tools of the trade.  Yes, we can tell that you don't actually know manga conventions very well, or the history, or even who the important writers in the different genres are.  We know you don't know anything about Japanese literary culture or, hell, even plot structuring.

I'm not mad because it's on Steam.  I'm mad because it exists.

would be a reasonably cheap posing program if you wanted to make a 3d rendered webcomic or something.

This is a good point.  If they were selling it from that perspective, I'd be fine with it.  Mostly, I'm just upset because it feels like the final insult in a long string of exploitative products sold by Americans pretending to be Japanese.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33451 on: March 07, 2014, 05:22:48 pm »

-snip-
So basically its the still-image version of that animation program that also uses 3D models of anime-style characters. What exactly is the problem here?
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Knit tie

• Bay Watcher
  • Consider avatar too slim until end of diet.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33452 on: March 07, 2014, 05:24:37 pm »

Shhhhhhh. A patrician is asserting his superiority over plebs here.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #33453 on: March 07, 2014, 05:27:28 pm »

-snip-
So basically its the still-image version of that animation program that also uses 3D models of anime-style characters. What exactly is the problem here?
The problem is that it can't make manga.

Gunner-Chan

• Bay Watcher
  • << IT'S TIME >>
    • View Profile
« Reply #33454 on: March 07, 2014, 05:28:02 pm »

This is a good point.  If they were selling it from that perspective, I'd be fine with it.  Mostly, I'm just upset because it feels like the final insult in a long string of exploitative products sold by Americans pretending to be Japanese.

I'm unsure if you're aware of this Vector but both Comipo (The devs) and Degica (Publisher) are based in Japan.

Edit: Also after looking into the actual software further, it does seem somewhat limited. Meaning if someone is really needing a free/cheap poser you're likely still better off using MMD or 3DCG. So it's still not really good, but at least it's not Mining and Tunneling simulator. (Which features no mining at all)
« Last Edit: March 07, 2014, 05:34:18 pm by Janet »
Diamonds are combustable, because they are made of Carbon.

Knit tie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33455 on: March 07, 2014, 05:28:32 pm »

-snip-
False advertisng. It's like that time they found horses in beef in the UK.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #33456 on: March 07, 2014, 05:29:28 pm »

So y'all are mad because it doesn't follow a bunch of nazi manga rules :P?

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #33457 on: March 07, 2014, 05:30:04 pm »

Totes an aside, but innit there full color manwha out there? Pretty sure I've seen a few. Could argue the korean stuff =/= manga, but s'far as most folks I've encountered are concerned they're effectively the same thing. There's definitely full color one-shot manga running around, though I'm less sure about anything particularly lengthy.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #33458 on: March 07, 2014, 05:34:09 pm »

-snip-
I was so mad that I wasn't getting 100% horse.
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned
Haunter of Birthday Cakes, Bearded Hamburger, Intensely Off-Topic

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #33459 on: March 07, 2014, 05:39:49 pm »

-snip-

Some of it was.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #33460 on: March 07, 2014, 05:42:25 pm »

Not the stuff I bought. My Griffons were pooping like firehoses.
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned
Haunter of Birthday Cakes, Bearded Hamburger, Intensely Off-Topic

Octobomb

• Bay Watcher
  • I like pens
    • View Profile
« Reply #33461 on: March 07, 2014, 05:55:27 pm »

-snip-

Some of it was.
As a Brit, I find the whole episode very funny, because the media blew it out of proportion (nothing unusual here) and you 'Murricans likely got only the media version unless you looked into it. Ok, this is what happened:
Horse DNA is found in meat. That's strands of DNA, not actual chunks of meat. All it means is that there is DNA in there, less than 1% meat needs to be horse to find it.
Media catches ahold of it, has a feeding frenzy.
Investigations are launched, everyone sends samples to be tested. Many return positive.
Media reports ALL meat everywhere is horse, more or less. Various snide remarks are made.
Sources traced back to French farms (among many others). The French get flamed a bit.
Scientist expresses concerns about human consumption of steroids fed to horses.
Media reports horse meat is possibly (as in 90%) fatal.
Scientists find out steroid levels in each burger are 1/50 what humans were does 50 years ago with no ill effects.
Media continues to report DEATH and tries to shame supermarkets.
Supermarkets have already pulled products.
End result: Public gets more paranoid, media look like idiots (as usual) and he supermarkets look a little sheepish.
Note: May not be entirely fact. But hey, our media isn't either.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2014, 05:57:04 pm by Octobomb »
I saw 5 people with fedoras in my town yesterday.
They're the special biohazard containment agent, out to deal with m'laria.
Sig
Bay12's resident tea drinkers

Knit tie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33462 on: March 07, 2014, 06:01:38 pm »

Goddammit wrong thread!

EDIT: Naxza, come over here to St. Pete's and I can introduce you to Volodya. We call him "the computer surgeon" and he successfully operates on macs with the help of a power saw and lots of patience.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2014, 06:59:36 pm by Knit tie »

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #33463 on: March 07, 2014, 06:44:07 pm »

Ancient Aliens.

They're stating that people like Einstein, Tesla, Socrates were inspired/given knowledge by aliens.

Pretty stupid fricking aliens, then. How the hell did they send their knowledge to Socrates when they were very clearly wrong about a very large amount of things (as Socrates was)?

Not to mention that it's wholly insulting to think that these people's intelligence wasn't their own.

Also, the entire premise is based on, say, Einstein coming to all the conclusions about the universe on his own when that is not even remotely the case and it's really freaking stupid to think so because even a modicum of fricking research would prove you wrong. How the hell do these people get on TV?

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33464 on: March 07, 2014, 06:45:31 pm »

How the hell do these people get on TV?
aliens.jpg
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread
Pages: 1 ... 2229 2230 [2231] 2232 2233 ... 3345