Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2230 2231 [2232] 2233 2234 ... 3345

Author Topic: Things that made you RRRRRRAAAAGGGGEEEE today: Trust-o-nomics Edition  (Read 3382538 times)

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you RRRAAAAGGGGEEEE today: Armed and Sleepy Edition
« Reply #33465 on: March 07, 2014, 07:06:19 pm »

Say you want to make your computer more powerful? Can't do that- the things are sealed shut to prevent you from opening them by normal means, and in the most recent versions, the ram is soldered onto the damned motherboard. Configuration on a user level means moving things on the dock and changing your wallpaper. On an enterprise level? Good. Luck.
I knew Apple was picky about their Macs, but good lord, what happens if you have a problem with the motherboard your ram is soldered to?
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33466 on: March 07, 2014, 07:11:12 pm »

Totes an aside, but innit there full color manwha out there? Pretty sure I've seen a few. Could argue the korean stuff =/= manga, but s'far as most folks I've encountered are concerned they're effectively the same thing. There's definitely full color one-shot manga running around, though I'm less sure about anything particularly lengthy.

Yes, and lots of Japanese-origin comics have short sections of color pages.

I realize it's kind of funny to get this mad.  Please hear me out.

Where I am, I grew up at the time right when manga and anime were first being packaged for mass appeal here--the first runs of Pokemon and Dragonball, as well as Cardcaptors, Tenchi Muyo, and Sailor Moon.  These shows were dubbed over, heavily censored, and often had the narratives restructured to change the roles of various characters (such as writing larger roles for male characters and making female characters less significant).  Then, when it because clear that these shows were really popular, manga started being translated, flopped, and published--often with continued censorship that disrupted storylines and made things make little sense.

This was before internet usage was widespread, so the audience mostly didn't know it was happening.  A certain point of view of Japanese cartooning evolved, mostly disparaging.  These criticisms of Japanese cartoons, which had been processed and altered for American audiences, were assumed to apply to the originals--which are certainly not above critique, but the intermediary agents got off scott-free.

Then, in this atmosphere, American comic artists published how-to-draw manga books and positioned themselves as experts.  Nowadays, there are lots of options.  You can see tutorials on DeviantArt, you can order books from Japan in Japanese, you can often get them translated accurately into English, you can visit pixiv or niconicodouga or whatever.  But in the early days, our local library had exactly one book, which wrote from a point of view of almost no understanding.

And, in the local bookstores, more and more of this kind of book started appearing.  It was all stuff like this, or like this.  I'm sure that you can agree with me that these are fairly unrecognizable as manga, right?  But that was what was there.  That was the ENTIRETY of it.  That was what we thought manga was like.  That it was fairly representative of what Japan produces.  And some of it, of course, called itself the "first and only" book on how to draw manga, or said it was published by an expert on cartooning, or that it came from a Japan-based studio.

So they would also sell things like the Harlequin Pink brand--put out by, yes, that Harlequin, the one with the romance novels, and called that manga, and put up "manga posters" that looked like this, because that's what the kids liked.  It was stuff like this.  People were making a lot of profit on calling this manga and acting like authorities.  And no, I'm not exaggerating.  This is actually how it used to be.  Winx Club, for example, was explicitly marketed as anime (it's actually an Italian anime-inspired cartoon).

(Please note that this is different from, say, Powerpuff Girls, which no one called anime; and Powerpuff Girls Z, which no one would call an American cartoon at this point)

Then, one memorable evening, I went to a sleepover and we found out together that Tenchi Muyo actually had some fairly explicit sex scenes in it when you're watching an uncensored tape.  Which is, you know, kind of funny, since we were all in fourth grade or something like that.  However, someone said: "Oh, the real Tenchi Muyo isn't like this, I'm sorry."

And in middle school, someone said they'd watched the Samurai X OAV, and it was filled with blood--not like the real version of Rurouni Kenshin.

And that kind of stuck with me.  It had gotten to a point where the censored version became the "real" version.  And they could sell us all kinds of things, and that became the real version, because that was what we were familiar with.  It didn't matter that all of this was derivative of something else.  Before long, I started noticing it everywhere.  I could watch a dubbed version of a movie and see that they had changed the roles of the characters, or overwritten meaningful silence, or did things that made the film plotless--and they still do this with the localizations of Studio Ghibli movies; in fact, it's gotten more pronounced in recent years.  I could watch subtitled shows and see that what the characters said and what was written were often contradictory.  I could read criticisms of these productions in the newspaper that judged the parent culture without the writer realizing that they were actually, in part, criticizing the work of a sloppy localizer.  And this version, this opinion, was what became real.  It wasn't that both could exist anymore, as real things.  What came before either quietly disappeared or was called derivative and denounced.

Kind of like how Twilight has created a "real" version of the vampire that leads tweenagers to leave disparaging reviews on Bram Stoker's anime page, or the complaints that The Hunchback of Notre Dame is nothing like the Disney version.  Or people even assuming that it was a disgustingly grimdark story inspired by Disney and riding on its coattails.  It's an adaptation masquerading as the original and enjoying an atmosphere of preference.

Why does the original have responsibility to resemble the derivative?  That doesn't make sense.  And there's nothing wrong with people enjoying one version more than another--that's a matter of taste.  But to me, deciding to act like the inspiring source doesn't exist--which is what happens when you refuse to recognize any differences between what you've produced and the source, and then authoritatively call your product "professional-looking manga" and the like--is sickening.

So, that's the point of view from which I'm operating.  Call it a cartoon-maker or a 3D-posing program or perhaps even manga-inspired, but please stop calling these things manga if you won't put in a basic effort to find out what manga is and how it works.  It's not false advertising the way that selling horse meat as beef is, but it's still not the right thing to do.  It's a destructive practice.  And yes, the characters may be drawn in a more manga-ish style now, and they may be dressed in clothing that looks vaguely like what you find in manga, but they've made it abundantly clear from their presentation that they still don't have much knowledge of what they're actually selling.

PPE NOTE: My rant is more apropos than I thought, though not from the perspective I anticipated.  It seems that in this instance, it's just a fault on the part of the folks who did the Steam marketing, because the video on the creator website, while deliciously Engrishy, is clearly made by a person who understands manga.

So there you have it.  I've put my foot in my mouth a little, but I'll call it a day.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2014, 07:17:13 pm by Vector »
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33467 on: March 07, 2014, 07:17:18 pm »

TL;DR Vec hates adaption displacement and everybody involved in it.

Wait, even the Samurai Pizza Cats? I only watched the first episode in either language.

Willfor

• Bay Watcher
  • The great magmaman adventurer. I do it for hugs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33468 on: March 07, 2014, 07:24:15 pm »

Wait, even the Samurai Pizza Cats? I only watched the first episode in either language.
To be fair, what turned into Samurai Pizza Cats was a flop in Japan anyway. As far as I know.
In the wells of livestock vans with shells and garden sands /
Iron mixed with oxygen as per the laws of chemistry and chance /
A shape was roughly human, it was only roughly human /
Apparition eyes / Apparition eyes / Knock, apparition, knock / Eyes, apparition eyes /

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33469 on: March 07, 2014, 07:31:33 pm »

Don't try to pretend that you guys don't complain about Twihards >:[  I've heard you.

It's an entire medium, though!  That's Uncool.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33470 on: March 07, 2014, 07:36:09 pm »

Wait what's wrong with Twi now?

Other than him being 3/4 twit of course.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #33471 on: March 07, 2014, 07:40:33 pm »

I think she's talking about Twilight, which kinda doesn't fit your point, Vector, because the format Twilight was published in was okay, it's just the books themselves were shit.
Unless I reading comprehension failed again.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33472 on: March 07, 2014, 07:43:44 pm »

That particular case was probably complaining about people going "Lol Dracula sucks he dosen't sparkle 'n stuff" or however they go because I have the fortune of never having met somebody who's talked about the series in a positive light.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #33473 on: March 07, 2014, 07:45:09 pm »

... what's a twihard?

*goes and checks*

Ah.

Or, well, it's either something to do with twitter or something to do with twilight, apparently? Can't recall if I've complained about twilight people before or not. Probably a lil', I'unno. My memory is having trouble operating at a high level through the quickbooks induced rage haze. Did you know if you miskey a date in a particular window, quickbooks will basically lock down that date from any and all editing? It also will thereafter refuse to let you delete anything associated with that date and start over. Basically, hit one button wrong and not notice it before saving once, and the only way to fix the books so the mistake is no longer visible and corrections are no longer cluttering up the journal and whatnot, is to delete the entire fucking company information and start from bloody scratch. Every time I use this program, my urge to burn down Intuit company headquarters increases :-\

... maybe next week I won't feel the urge to complain about QB, again. I'unno. Definitely won't the week after, at least.

E: what the flying fuck this program just reversed the delete button functionality. How!? WHY!? Delete is not goddamn backspace!

Though that might explain why some of the folks I've been working with have such trouble getting the whole delete/backspace thing down...

E2: Set correct opening date. Press save. Quickbooks changes every goddamn one to a different date. Yup, I'm done trying for today. This assignment's just going to have points taken off.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2014, 08:10:14 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #33474 on: March 07, 2014, 07:58:47 pm »

I think she's talking about Twilight, which kinda doesn't fit your point, Vector, because the format Twilight was published in was okay, it's just the books themselves were shit.
Unless I reading comprehension failed again.
She means how Twilight portrayed vampires.

Which I 100% agree on. I actually read the first book and didn't mind the story itself much (I grew up with half a dozen sisters which means watching romcoms every night ;_;) but the author made vampires look like... Well I'm sure you all know :/

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33475 on: March 07, 2014, 08:04:34 pm »

It's part of the reason why I shun sunlight whenever possible.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #33476 on: March 07, 2014, 08:09:59 pm »

Darvi, I shall now call you Captain Sparklepants.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33477 on: March 07, 2014, 08:11:35 pm »

You mean you weren't calling me that before?

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #33478 on: March 07, 2014, 08:16:44 pm »

You were First Mate before.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Facekillz058

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text!
    • View Profile
« Reply #33479 on: March 07, 2014, 08:29:17 pm »

Oooo, can I get a cool nickname!?
(づ◕◕)づ・。*。✧・゜゜・。✧。*・゜゜・✧。・­¬¬¬¬¬¬¬゜゜・。*。・゜*✧・。*。✧
Pages: 1 ... 2230 2231 [2232] 2233 2234 ... 3345