Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2244 2245 [2246] 2247 2248 ... 3345

Author Topic: Things that made you RRRRRRAAAAGGGGEEEE today: Trust-o-nomics Edition  (Read 3382456 times)

Elephant Parade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you RRRAAAAGGGGEEEE today: Armed and Sleepy Edition
« Reply #33675 on: March 13, 2014, 12:36:17 am »

Adblock has not let a single intrusive ad in, and I don't have "block all ads" checked.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33676 on: March 13, 2014, 12:42:01 am »

Stupid bloody software lock on my printer. Was printing something, and it keeps bugging me about it being low on ink. Then, when there was clearly still ink left (because there hadn't been any visual indication that there was any lack of ink whatsoever), it refused to print saying "out of ink".

Its pretty clear to me that its one of those anti-refilling things (eg. making sure that you buy from them and never refill it, otherwise it won't work), and it just pisses me off. Especially because there is still bloody ink in there.
Try removing cartridges, replacing with same cartridges? That sometimes works on the demo machines at work.

Adblock has not let a single intrusive ad in, and I don't have "block all ads" checked.
Adblock, or adblock plus? Adblock plus was the one in question. Adblock and adblock edge still seem to be clean.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Elephant Parade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33677 on: March 13, 2014, 01:56:27 am »

Stupid bloody software lock on my printer. Was printing something, and it keeps bugging me about it being low on ink. Then, when there was clearly still ink left (because there hadn't been any visual indication that there was any lack of ink whatsoever), it refused to print saying "out of ink".

Its pretty clear to me that its one of those anti-refilling things (eg. making sure that you buy from them and never refill it, otherwise it won't work), and it just pisses me off. Especially because there is still bloody ink in there.
Try removing cartridges, replacing with same cartridges? That sometimes works on the demo machines at work.

Adblock, or adblock plus? Adblock plus was the one in question. Adblock and adblock edge still seem to be clean.
Adblock plus. I'm using Firefox, mind you.

The Darkling Wolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Arf!
    • View Profile
    • Cataclysm - Dark Days Ahead
« Reply #33678 on: March 13, 2014, 07:33:08 am »

So, I decided to finally get Guild Wars 2. I try to buy it through their site, but it crashes on me midway through the transaction. I never get an email, nothing shows up on my account. After a few hours I check again, and check my credit card. Nothing. So I shrug and pick it up on Amazon. Not fifteen minutes later the charge from the GW site shows up on my card and an email with the first serial code arrives.

FUCK. YOU.

Meh, time to make lemonade and burn Life's house down.
Eh, hang on to your second key. You'll need it for when you're banned for buying fruit from the player exchange or whatever they decide the latest exploit is.
My cabbages!
[Thunderfury, Blessed Blade of the Windseeker]

I am fat, eating is my great joy.

Kadzar

• Bay Watcher
  • Descan Pengwind
    • View Profile
« Reply #33679 on: March 13, 2014, 02:04:27 pm »

Smoke detectors. Fucking smoke detectors.

I understand the need to remind people to change the batteries in things every once in a while. That's all good, but the way they go about it, with an incessant beeping sound every minute is just infuriating. And there's no all clear signal or anything to let you know that you've installed the battery correctly; you just have to wait and see if you can hear the beeping again.

And God forbid you have multiple detectors in your house, like they fucking tell you you should. If so, you're left with the uncertainty of whether or not the detector whose battery you replaced is even the one making the beeps, because they've somehow designed a sound that doesn't actually sound like you're right next to it when you're right fucking next to it, even triangulation and the process of elimination have determined it's the only place the sound could have come from.

And when I find a sticker on the thing that says it should have been replaced in 2003, have to use a screwdriver to pry out its connection to the mains, and remove its battery, it still keeps beeping, because it turns out smoke detectors have a secret second battery in the part of them you're not allowed to open up.

Because the people who make smoke detectors are the fucking worst kinds of sadists.
What if the earth is just a knick in one of the infinite swords of the mighty fractal bear?
Glory to Arstotzka!

Willfor

• Bay Watcher
  • The great magmaman adventurer. I do it for hugs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33680 on: March 13, 2014, 02:25:05 pm »

The sound of the beep is also placed in a frequency range that the human mind is not often capable of ignoring, and at the dB levels that they output the sound it races right into the parts of the brain that trigger the "I need to do something about this!" response from the mind. A similar situation as baby cries from the last time I looked into this kind of thing.
In the wells of livestock vans with shells and garden sands /
Iron mixed with oxygen as per the laws of chemistry and chance /
A shape was roughly human, it was only roughly human /
Apparition eyes / Apparition eyes / Knock, apparition, knock / Eyes, apparition eyes /

Mr. Strange

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33681 on: March 13, 2014, 03:26:29 pm »

It's showing up in bay12...
I think you got some malware there. I'm amateur tinfoil hat myself and try to block and get notified of all ads and information gathering attempts by google and friends and I find nothing like that from bay12.
Then you get cities like Paris where you should basically just kill yourself already.

You won’t have to think anymore: it’ll be just like having fun!

Vorthon

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 50% more pointless rambling!
    • View Profile
« Reply #33682 on: March 13, 2014, 03:32:17 pm »

I understand the need to remind people to change the batteries in things every once in a while. That's all good, but the way they go about it, with an incessant beeping sound every minute is just infuriating. And there's no all clear signal or anything to let you know that you've installed the battery correctly; you just have to wait and see if you can hear the beeping again.

I don't know about you, but most smoke detectors I've seen have buttons for testing if the thing still works.

Kadzar

• Bay Watcher
  • Descan Pengwind
    • View Profile
« Reply #33683 on: March 13, 2014, 03:40:43 pm »

I don't know about you, but most smoke detectors I've seen have buttons for testing if the thing still works.
I pushed that button after I put the new battery in; it made the proper smoke detector noise but it still kept beeping every minute after that. It's probably broken or something since it's over a decade since it was supposed to have been replaced; I've removed it from the main power and taken out the backup battery and now I'm hoping the internal battery will run out eventually and it will finally shut up before I have to smash it to bits with a hammer.
What if the earth is just a knick in one of the infinite swords of the mighty fractal bear?
Glory to Arstotzka!

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #33684 on: March 13, 2014, 04:31:12 pm »

For what it's worth, you can bury the thing under a sufficiently large amount of linens (possibly inside a clothes drawer or something, on the other side of the house, maybe out-freaking-side) and largely-to-entirely block the sound. Wrap it in a few blankets and hide it in a closet.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #33685 on: March 13, 2014, 04:32:08 pm »

For what it's worth, you can bury the thing under a sufficiently large amount of linens (possibly inside a clothes drawer or something, on the other side of the house, maybe out-freaking-side) and largely-to-entirely block the sound. Wrap it in a few blankets and hide it in a closet.
But that's where I put my dead hookers.

Steelmagic

• Bay Watcher
  • Insanity makes everything fun!
    • View Profile
« Reply #33686 on: March 13, 2014, 04:34:43 pm »

Now look, They had to go eventually, It's the hookers or the alarm, man.
When i say "I'm no expert but..." It means "I have no idea what the hell I'm talking about but I'm going to try to sound like i do."

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #33687 on: March 13, 2014, 04:36:52 pm »

Just stuff the fire alarm in a dead hooker and wrap the whole lot in a blanket and shove 'em in the closet. More insulation is more insulation -- the more stuff between the beeping and you, the harder it will be to hear. Even if it's clap ridden necrotic prostitute flesh.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #33688 on: March 13, 2014, 04:39:06 pm »

Yes, quite right Steelmagic. Dutchling, you have way too many skeletons in the closet-they have to come out sometime, alright? It'll eat you up otherwise.

Edit: And to be quite frank, Frumple, your post disturbed me  ??? Sounds like you have practice in this type of thing. *Shudders*  :P
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

PanH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33689 on: March 13, 2014, 04:45:24 pm »

Yes, quite right Steelmagic. Dutchling, you have way too many skeletons in the closet-they have to come out sometime, alright? It'll eat you up otherwise.
Unless zombie apocalypse, it won't, actually.
Pages: 1 ... 2244 2245 [2246] 2247 2248 ... 3345