Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2256 2257 [2258] 2259 2260 ... 3345

Author Topic: Things that made you RRRRRRAAAAGGGGEEEE today: Trust-o-nomics Edition  (Read 3382430 times)

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you RRRAAAAGGGGEEEE today: Reflex Edition
« Reply #33855 on: March 17, 2014, 10:37:26 am »

In order to join such an organization, they would first have to change it's basic laws. Why join something for the purpose of making it something that it isn't?
To... make it better. Or the world better. Or help people. Y'know... stuff like that? And in the case of stuff that's not central to the identity of the organization,* it doesn't really change the organization's core identity any.

*And discrimination against homosexuality is about as core to christianity as stoning people who wear mixed fabrics to death or celibacy among their priesthood.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33856 on: March 17, 2014, 10:39:50 am »

Haven't been in this thread for a long time, but:

People saying that 'The Banner Saga' is bad writing.
Spoiler: Massive spoilers (click to show/hide)
So yes.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #33857 on: March 17, 2014, 10:42:36 am »

I guess it's your choice to prefer your god to your fellow human beings.

If anything, you have it the wrong way around.

If God is omnipotent and omnibenevolent, why does evil exist?

You can draw the conclusion that God does not exist, or that he is capricious/malevolent. Either way, not a faith I'd wish to worship.

In order to join such an organisation, they would first have to change it's basic laws. Why join something for the purpose of making it something that it isn't?

Sometimes the organization as a whole means more to people than one rule they disagree with, so they strive to change that rule to improve the organization. It's called "reform".
In order to join such an organization, they would first have to change it's basic laws. Why join something for the purpose of making it something that it isn't?
To... make it better. Or the world better. Or help people. Y'know... stuff like that? And in the case of stuff that's not central to the identity of the organization,* it doesn't really change the organization's core identity any.

*And discrimination against homosexuality is about as core to christianity as stoning people who wear mixed fabrics to death or celibacy among their priesthood.

So. You would change the basic doctrine of millions of people? You would "Reform" something which is divinely (Supposedly) sent.
You don't understand. Changing scripture is doubting God. A proper, homosexual christian would not try to do that. It is not a matter of discrimination. It is a matter of religion. To deny that religion their (NON HARMING) views on admittance, is discrimination.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #33858 on: March 17, 2014, 10:43:21 am »

I'll not say you didn't make me very angry, but apology accepted.
I'm a rather bad judge of people at times. 'Tis one of my many faults :(
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #33859 on: March 17, 2014, 10:43:33 am »

So yes, when I say that I believe that there should be no gay clergy, it isn't because I hate them. It is because the bible specifically says it is wrong. Ergo, I disagree, it is my right to disagree.

I'm not christian. I'm agnostic.

As an agnostic, I don't think you know what that word means.  Agnosticism by definition implies doubt in the bible, because the bible draws its authority from the existence of god and if you are sure, or even confident of the existence of god you are not an agnostic.

Honestly from what you've said so far I would describe you as a non-denominational Christian.  AKA you believe in the core of Christian beliefs but are not participating in organized religion.

Edit: To be clear, this is a word definition issue.  You can believe in whatever you want, I just disagree with your word choice.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2014, 10:48:01 am by EnigmaticHat »
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #33860 on: March 17, 2014, 10:45:37 am »

Because He would rather there was evil and free will than neither evil nor free will.

Edit: if this is going to go on, maybe it should be moved to the old religion thread? I'm entirely fine with it stopping, too.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2014, 10:48:51 am by Arx »

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33861 on: March 17, 2014, 10:49:40 am »

Uh. Hat, he didn't say he agreed with/followed the bible as such- he's saying he doesn't agree with people joining the religion whilst happily breaking some of its main tenets, ' cause that is kinda silly.  That's how I interpreted it, anyway.

Edit: I'm fine with stopping this whole religion discussion asap, too. :P
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33862 on: March 17, 2014, 10:52:16 am »

I'll not say you didn't make me very angry, but apology accepted.
I'm a rather bad judge of people at times. 'Tis one of my many faults :(
Really, don't worry about it. Everyone is wrong sometimes.  :). Don't blame you at all.

Because He would rather there was evil and free will than neither evil nor free will.
Ah, but why should we not have Swinburne's Toy World? Are we not happy without free will?

So yes, when I say that I believe that there should be no gay clergy, it isn't because I hate them. It is because the bible specifically says it is wrong. Ergo, I disagree, it is my right to disagree.

I'm not christian. I'm agnostic.

As an agnostic, I don't think you know what that word means.  Agnosticism by definition implies doubt in the bible, because the bible draws its authority from the existence of god and if you are sure, or even confident of the existence of god you are not an agnostic.

Honestly from what you've said so far I would describe you as a non-denominational Christian.  AKA you believe in the core of Christian beliefs but are not participating in organized religion.

Edit: To be clear, this is a word definition issue.  You can believe in whatever you want, I just disagree with your word choice.
I know what agnosticism is. I know what I am. I am not sure, or confident in the existence of God. I don't know where you got that I was.

Sorry Yoink, didn't see your comment. Yes, that is essentially it.  :P

If you want it to stop, I'm sure I can save being abused for my views for my R.E. class.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2014, 10:54:29 am by Th4DwArfY1 »
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33863 on: March 17, 2014, 10:53:50 am »

I think the point Thedwarfyone is trying to make is the difference between (perhaps for want of a more suitable word) morally incorrect rules people force upon themselves and morally incorrect rules people force on other people. IE: It's fine when people force themselves to follow weird rules so long as they don't force others to do so.

That said, in such a large and important organization as Christianity, I can see the value, morally, of trying to change it from the inside. A hypothetical reformer doesn't have to be a single issue person. They can agree with the vast majority of Christianity and still want to, as a example, change it's stance on gay clergy. And that seems like it would be valid to me.

Of course, that's in a hypothetical world where Christianity doesn't propagate harmful beliefs in the world and outside of itself. In the real world where it does in fact have such a large sway, infiltrating it explicitly to change part of it's dogma is probably also a justifiable action.

I don't actually think this post added anything, since the only important thing I had to say was said by Yoink in the post above me. Don't care, going to post anyway. Ta ta.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33864 on: March 17, 2014, 10:55:16 am »

Hi, I'm an atheist, and this is a topic which has been responsible for more locked threads than any other topic in the half-decade I've been here.
So ditch.

Seriously, all you fuck off and make a new 'Theism' thread, so that it can absorb the flammability and get locked.
I don't care if it's 'on the rage rails'. You're not doing this here.

If this miffs you, try getting angry at my condescending writing pattern. At least that's clean anger.
I appreciate the efforts made by all the others who also saw the coming storm - however, a forest fire isn't fixed with buckets of water, it's fixed by getting rid of the forest.
When people say 'Here's my two cents but we should probably stop', that's an intellectual community hitting the event horizon.
Now Shoo.

- YES - I see all of you who were ninjad by this post. And you're thinking to yourself 'Gosh, but I just wrote this whole treatise on the nature of agnosticism'.
Copy- Paste- Religion thread. Not here.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #33865 on: March 17, 2014, 10:58:27 am »

I was going to say something, but I'm with Tack.

Legit rage: "If you have a problem with your teachers, please contact [REDACTED]". [REDACTED] is an administrator. [REDACTED] isn't answering my emails about a matter pertaining to administration. [REDACTED] probably wouldn't respond to a problem with teachers, either. [REDACTED] is rage-inducing.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #33866 on: March 17, 2014, 10:59:25 am »

Other rage:

Someone disagreed with me on the internet.

I told him he is a faget and that I had sexual intercourse with his mother last night. That's how you do internet debating right?

TD1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33867 on: March 17, 2014, 11:01:48 am »

Sorry Yoink, didn't see your comment. Yes, that is essentially it.  :P

If you want it to stop, I'm sure I can save being abused for my views for my R.E. class.

I may agree with you, Tack, but not with your delivery. Make a point, and I don't care. Blatantly say it in a vicious, in your face way? That is wrong. Be more polite. Be more discreet.

I'm sorry to any I have offended with this, but really, the way I was treated did make me angry. I'm maybe not at my best right now, and will stop posting in order to cool off.

Again, sorry.
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #33868 on: March 17, 2014, 11:04:44 am »

Not listening to anybody who tries to convince me of anything by telling me to fuck off.

So. You would change the basic doctrine of millions of people? You would "Reform" something which is divinely (Supposedly) sent.
You don't understand. Changing scripture is doubting God. A proper, homosexual christian would not try to do that. It is not a matter of discrimination. It is a matter of religion. To deny that religion their (NON HARMING) views on admittance, is discrimination.

You have no justification for any of this besides dogma. Not everyone shares this view on changing religion. In fact, I'd say the vast majority of people support changing it in some ways. If they don't then they're hypocrites - every single branch of Christianity practiced today is a result of countless changes in how the religion is practiced.

Some people realize that the Bible is not the literal divine word of God. Some people believe that it was divinely inspired, but that the people who wrote it originally included their own biases. These people believe that removing the result of this human bigotry brings Christianity closer to God's unconditional love.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33869 on: March 17, 2014, 11:08:02 am »

"Hey guys, can I join the Bridge Club? I uh, don't actually play bridge, but still. Hey, why don't we all play some Monopoly instead?"

:P
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.
Pages: 1 ... 2256 2257 [2258] 2259 2260 ... 3345