Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2260 2261 [2262] 2263 2264 ... 3345

Author Topic: Things that made you RRRRRRAAAAGGGGEEEE today: Trust-o-nomics Edition  (Read 3382074 times)

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you RRRAAAAGGGGEEEE today: Reflex Edition
« Reply #33915 on: March 18, 2014, 05:04:47 pm »

Power tripping, and "You're doing it wrong, back off, I'm gonna fix this."
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Gunner-Chan

• Bay Watcher
  • << IT'S TIME >>
    • View Profile
« Reply #33916 on: March 18, 2014, 05:05:19 pm »

Because the first set of bad parents tends to set off a chain of bad parents till someone breaks the cycle.
Diamonds are combustable, because they are made of Carbon.

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #33917 on: March 18, 2014, 05:08:05 pm »

Are you suggesting there's a behavioral Adam and Eve of dysfunctional parenting?
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned
Haunter of Birthday Cakes, Bearded Hamburger, Intensely Off-Topic

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #33918 on: March 18, 2014, 05:09:10 pm »

The baby boomers had very different ideas about filial piety, respect and the transmission of culture than the current generations. Which is weird, considering the times they lived through. They went from being raised conservative, to living liberal, to practicing conservative.

Kind of hard to respect the cycle when they're dump all over you though.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #33919 on: March 18, 2014, 05:12:59 pm »

OK, BF, if you have kids, don't be to them what your parents are to you.

You can break the cycle!
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned

Gunner-Chan

• Bay Watcher
  • << IT'S TIME >>
    • View Profile
« Reply #33920 on: March 18, 2014, 05:14:57 pm »

Thinking about it, I hope I've been a good parent. Especially considering I definitely did NOT expect to end up a mother.

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33921 on: March 18, 2014, 05:15:56 pm »

OK, BF, if you have kids, don't be to them what your parents are to you.

You can break the cycle!
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

What the hell happened to that bike?

Anyways, between my mom and her boyfriend, I hopefully know what not to do when I ever have kids. Between the two of them you have both the hyper over-protective archetype and the 'fuck you, you're on your own from birth' archetype.

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #33922 on: March 18, 2014, 05:21:51 pm »

You can save space by making the room 1x1x2 and tiling diagonally.
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #33923 on: March 18, 2014, 05:30:43 pm »

Anyways, between my mom and her boyfriend, I hopefully know what not to do when I ever have kids. Between the two of them you have both the hyper over-protective archetype and the 'fuck you, you're on your own from birth' archetype.

Am I the only one who feels like this sort of sums up the parenting of baby boomers?  Except its "hyper-paranoid because pedophiles, then fuck you you're on you own once you graduate".

The whole mentality is that college is this switch that flips parenting from "kids must be protected and watched over always" to "I must have as little as possible to do with my kid's life."

Don't get me wrong I like my parents, I'm just not sure I like their generation.  Maybe that's better than the other ways of parenting, or maybe parenting in America has always been like that.  I don't know, I only have my limited perspective and its a big issue.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #33924 on: March 18, 2014, 05:44:13 pm »

Over here, parents are involved past graduation. My sister has gradated, bu she still lives here and is treated as always.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #33925 on: March 18, 2014, 05:47:33 pm »

I think there's a couple different approaches right now. One says let the kid live at home while he goes to college or even just because he's unemployed (or unemployable). This may have limits, like "you need to be in college" or "you need to prove you're sending good resumes to legitimate job opportunities".

Another says the kid needs to move out as soon as he's 18 because he's an adult now. This may have wiggle room, like "you can stay home but you need to pay rent" or "stay until you're 19 or 20 but there's going to come a day when you will be kicked out."

I've also seen an approach where the parent supplies financial support in exchange for fealty and forgiveness for being a shitty parent when the kid was growing up. It's a strange kind of clannish cronyism.

In the stereotypically American culture it's uncommon for extended families to live together, although this provides a lot of security and support. Frequently families drift far apart geographically. I've seen family members fling themselves to some other state without preparation, leaving steady jobs and good housing, only to return months later after having absolutely failed in the new region.

That said, recent immigrants and immigrants who have maintained their cultural distinctiveness despite living in the middle of more typical American living styles, will band together with perhaps a dozen or more people in a dwelling that's legally habitable for no more than six. In my state, the terms of a lease generally state that anyone living there must be on the lease. So you have a couple with one or two children rent a three-bedroom apartment, and then later you find out they invited the aunt and uncle, three cousins, a felon who just got out of jail, and five or six miscellaneous children. This is not an exaggeration at all. One family had a sectional couch in their living room that ran along all the walls of the living room, walling in the sliding glass door, because that many people would regularly need to sit in the room at once.

In my imagination there's a mythical Italian or French family with a beautiful stucco house and a garden, and four generations of the family eat dinners together on a sun-drenched patio with vine-laden trellises shading them. The adults all work, the grandparents relax and mind the children, and because they share burdens and joys they're relatively wealthy and happy.

In America many people labor away at two jobs, alone, or a couple with several kids, until they die of poverty at 60.
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33926 on: March 18, 2014, 05:48:19 pm »

My mom still demands that she proof-read all my assignments before she allows me to submit them.

At least it's better than back in grade-school, where she did all my assignments for me. I would try to do them myself, but they were never up to her standards, so she would throw them out, do the assignment herself, then gloat about how much hers was better.

I think it was around grade five when I just gave up on doing assignments myself.

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #33927 on: March 18, 2014, 05:49:05 pm »

That's a sure way to let someone work and improve.  ::)
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned

Gunner-Chan

• Bay Watcher
  • << IT'S TIME >>
    • View Profile
« Reply #33928 on: March 18, 2014, 05:53:40 pm »

I actually had the reverse happen once. I was finishing up mylast semester at college and at one point, my daughter redid some of my work she found on my zip drive. Since she said it was crappy.

I got a perfect grade on that one but... I'm pretty sure my own work wasn't THAT bad.

SealyStar

• Bay Watcher
  • Gargoyles! Psychics!
    • View Profile
« Reply #33929 on: March 18, 2014, 06:35:25 pm »

I actively refuse to let my parents proof-read stuff. I let and ask various people, both peers and seniors, to do so, but not my parents. Various reasons. One, my father is an English major who used to teach an introductory college writing course, so while his criticism might be valuable it would be, well, too critical for comfort, and I tend to do well in writing even without his help. Two, my mother is an engineer who is definitely very mathematical, and isn't very good at this whole writing thing herself.
I assume it was about cod tendies and an austerity-caused crunch in the supply of good boy points.
Pages: 1 ... 2260 2261 [2262] 2263 2264 ... 3345