Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2263 2264 [2265] 2266 2267 ... 3345

Author Topic: Things that made you RRRRRRAAAAGGGGEEEE today: Trust-o-nomics Edition  (Read 3382476 times)

Avis-Mergulus

• Bay Watcher
  • This adorable animal can't work.
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you RRRAAAAGGGGEEEE today: Reflex Edition
« Reply #33960 on: March 19, 2014, 05:31:31 pm »

I'm rather annoyed with people saying "Toady, you're way too late. Chop chop."

He'll get there when he gets there.
People still say that? I believe we've had a few threads where the OP was like "Toady, Y U so slow?" and everybody else was like "hey OP, we're the orifice installation service, did you order a new asshole?"
“See this Payam!” cried the gods, “He deceives us! He cruelly abuses our lustful hearts!”

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #33961 on: March 19, 2014, 05:34:54 pm »

@BF

I'd just like to add that, there are at least two sides to every tale. Doesn't mean they're even remotely equal, but, still.

FWIW, years later my parents turned out to seem more and less dysfunctional to my adult self. Every kid, even in the best households, comes into conflict with their parents, has a desire for more independence than they're allotted, ect.....

When you start living, acting and thinking independently, you might suddenly find you at least understand your mother's motivations more than you do now. I don't recall you saying but, did she raise you as a single mother?
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #33962 on: March 19, 2014, 05:41:37 pm »

Her status doesn't really matter that much. Yes, it's hard, but at the end of the day action, not status, is what ultimately defines a person.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #33963 on: March 19, 2014, 05:44:36 pm »

Edit to my post:
Also tell her what you feel of her actions, BlackFlyme. She needs to know how you feel about them.
Given your response here...you're not pleased that it isn't helping.
Go tell her calmly.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33964 on: March 19, 2014, 05:47:19 pm »

Her status doesn't really matter that much. Yes, it's hard, but at the end of the day action, not status, is what ultimately defines a person.

Were you raised by a single mother? I was. And it's not about status. It's about pressure and how that pressure gets expressed in family life. The thing about action is, no one is infallible. Everyone acts like a less than stellar human being from time to time. The question that should be asked is: why? Are there circumstances, reasons or catalysts that cause it to happen? Or are they just "terrible human beings." More often than not, it comes down to fear with parents. Fear of the future for their kid. No kid or young adult really understands what that feels like, because likely nothing more than the family pet relies on them.

The point isn't excusing it, the point is understanding it. I used to absolutely hate how my father and I interacted, until I was old enough to understand why as a man. Doesn't mean I eventually approved of how he sometimes handled things. But it allowed me to talk to him about it without anger, with real empathy, because I understood why he was that way.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2014, 05:51:48 pm by nenjin »
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33965 on: March 19, 2014, 06:11:59 pm »

I don't recall you saying but, did she raise you as a single mother?

It was split custody between her and my dad, but she slowly started lessening the time I had with him until it went from a direct 50/50 split in time to only seeing him every other weekend.

I did manage to get away for a bit and stay at my dad's when I worked, but I can't get to college from my dad's, so I can't go stay with him right now. Plus they don't really have space for me anyways. My mom would ask me to quit work every once in a while just so I would go back to living with her instead.

I guess she worries too much about me. Though I disagree with her ways of dealing with it.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33966 on: March 19, 2014, 06:23:03 pm »

I don't recall you saying but, did she raise you as a single mother?

It was split custody between her and my dad, but she slowly started lessening the time I had with him until it went from a direct 50/50 split in time to only seeing him every other weekend.

I did manage to get away for a bit and stay at my dad's when I worked, but I can't get to college from my dad's, so I can't go stay with him right now. Plus they don't really have space for me anyways. My mom would ask me to quit work every once in a while just so I would go back to living with her instead.

I guess she worries too much about me. Though I disagree with her ways of dealing with it.

And she probably worries about being abandoned, eventually. So maybe she over forges the links to her children. My mom's strategy was accommodation, to a point, and eventually making threats I knew she wouldn't make good on. Conversely, I only saw my dad about 3 months out of the year, all at once, and at Christmas. And he, as he put it, "tried to compress a year's worth of parenting into 3 months" with understandably fucked up results.

You can't ever erase the doubts of someone who is committed to having them. But reassuring, instead of fighting your mom, might honestly loosen things up. If you really care about your mom, that'll come through when you go "hey, don't worry. I'll do ok, because you've helped me." That kind of thing. If that seems in contradiction to the advice I gave above, it's not. You've got to attack her fears from both sides of the spectrum, like making her feel she's been doing some good by you, but also showing her how she's running the risk of hurting you too. My mom was always pretty strong for her kids, but it didn't take much to crack the outer shell and show how stressed she was, and how vulnerable she felt. Being nice and understanding is usually what did it.

It's weird as you get older how you start finding ways to check the people your parents are, compensating in some ways. I didn't do it very well at all until I hit my 30s. My relationship with my dad at least was a post-teenage train wreck, until we had it out in a big moment of unleashing 20 years of tension between us. I wouldn't recommend going that (relative) route with your mom.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2014, 06:26:27 pm by nenjin »

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33967 on: March 19, 2014, 06:31:23 pm »

I should start bettering myself. I'm honestly nowhere near prepared for life outside the home.

I don't know where to start though. I'm no good with emotions, and there are a lot of things I'm resentful over.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #33968 on: March 19, 2014, 06:33:46 pm »

Set a point to start with. I'd advise an approach.

Though also to follow nenjin. If you've a problem-voice it, then communicate to reach an understanding. There are so many people who mean well that...don't seem to mean well in their execution of the act.

*cheer cheer* You can do it!

Mr. Strange

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33969 on: March 19, 2014, 06:38:53 pm »

My mom would ask me to quit work every once in a while just so I would go back to living with her instead.
All my no. Unless you were working in some fast food joint flipping burgers and going nowhere there's no reason why she should ever ask something like that.

I should start bettering myself. I'm honestly nowhere near prepared for life outside the home.

I don't know where to start though. I'm no good with emotions, and there are a lot of things I'm resentful over.
I'd suggest you get a job you like doing. It doesn't have to pay well, or be "cool" and respected, just do what you want for a while, part-time, full-time, doesn't matter. It'll help you build up your confidence and your social skills when you are doing something you like. At least it worked for me.

I'll stop giving advise to people now, nothing good never come out of it.
Then you get cities like Paris where you should basically just kill yourself already.

You won’t have to think anymore: it’ll be just like having fun!

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33970 on: March 19, 2014, 06:48:51 pm »

I had a factory job. I'm not sure if it is still available to me, since things have been slow lately. I tried working convenience once, but it was not fun.

Though gaining some actual social skills would be nice. I can't even maintain eye-contact to save my life. And the 'robot' label I've had since grade school is wearing a little thin.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #33971 on: March 19, 2014, 06:53:57 pm »

So, nothing that involves the public? Depends on where your skills lie. An office job? Fisherman? Could be anything. But I wish you the best of luck; I'm fortunate in regards to parents, I just wish everyone else could be too.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Sinistar

• Bay Watcher
  • Absolutely detests Sinibombs
    • View Profile
    • http://dojo.fi/~rancid/loituma__.swf
« Reply #33972 on: March 20, 2014, 06:23:21 am »

I decided some time ago that I would not rage about this subject.

But again it has come to a point where I would like to smack some high-ranking officials that are responsible for the way YouTube is changing.

And as if implementing art-school dropout/graduate level of bad, obnoxious design choices isn't enough, even the sole implementation of said choices is horrible.

One of these days, I swear...some heads are gonna roll.

Now excuse me, I have to go bang my head against the wall, the numbing pain afterwards is a real pleasure compared to act of just thinking about this youtube-related shenanigans.

arghwblbgrsdfg
Everything is an instrument if you hit it the right way.
Oh they know. Spiders are not stupid. They've just got disproportionally huge balls.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33973 on: March 20, 2014, 04:31:00 pm »

The wonders of technology:
Try printing off CV. Printer cable is missing.
Try using our wireless printer. The way of getting it to work is needlessly complex, and so I'm unable to do it (it's not that I'm misunderstanding it- the actual way of turning it on, connecting it to the wifi, then connecting it to the computer via wifi is just retardedly complicated.) seeing as the person who knows how to do it isn't at home.
Wireless printing is easy, dudebro. Turn wireless on on printer control deck. Select wi-fi network. Input password. Hit print on device. Collect paper. If anything weird comes up, like IP weirdness, I'd be happy to walk you through it.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33974 on: March 20, 2014, 05:11:32 pm »

Go into your wifi settings and lock the printer to one channel?

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting
Pages: 1 ... 2263 2264 [2265] 2266 2267 ... 3345