Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2283 2284 [2285] 2286 2287 ... 3345

Author Topic: Things that made you RRRRRRAAAAGGGGEEEE today: Trust-o-nomics Edition  (Read 3426071 times)

NobodyPro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you RRRAAAAGGGGEEEE today: Reflex Edition
« Reply #34260 on: March 25, 2014, 05:31:03 am »

Goddamn predicate logic. Stop being so logical.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2014, 05:33:42 am by NobodyPro »

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #34263 on: March 25, 2014, 07:05:05 am »

Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

blazing glory

« Reply #34264 on: March 25, 2014, 07:28:57 am »

Steam pretending I'm online despite the fact that neither the forums nor the store page work.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34265 on: March 25, 2014, 07:51:23 am »

@Sexism stuff: I'd really like to see some detailed statistics. It's highly plausible that misogyny runs rampant in such an environment, and 50% is a damn lot, but on the other hand it's a rather young field which in its early days had very few females. 50% less on average is different from 50% less for the same work.
For example, in Germany we have this 22% gender gap floating around - corrected for job type etc., that gap shrinks to levels that are just above the threshhold of statistical significance. Doesn't keep some of our more... enthusiastic politicians and activists from parroting that 22% without context.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #34266 on: March 25, 2014, 09:26:53 am »

I given up for any work out here in the west and finding a contractor out in DC area. This state doesnt support job stability for shits and Colorado is still in a recession so I'm not going to find any work.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #34267 on: March 25, 2014, 09:33:36 am »

I was going to post something, but then I decided that arguing over someone's rage, and arguing with Vector over gender stuff are way too high on my "don't ever do this" list :P

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34268 on: March 25, 2014, 09:45:02 am »

Note to self: make one of those lists.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #34269 on: March 25, 2014, 10:15:41 am »

I given up for any work out here in the west and finding a contractor out in DC area. This state country doesnt support job stability for shits and Colorado is still in a recession so I'm not going to find any work.
FTFY :-\

Seriously though, you should hear some of the stuff coming out of the business-related classes I've been trudging through, lately. It's morbidly hilarious seeing people trying to spin "Companies no longer even try to fake giving a shit about keeping you around" as a good thing. Or give the whole "rapid increase in temporary work" (read: Companies no longer want to pay benefits fucking anything) a positive light. And trying to make it sound like us younglings want to be spending several straight months every few years job hunting, haha.

It's honestly kinda' depressing, really. Grade A propagandist bullshit. Funny when the teachers get called on it and just kinda' go, "Yeeaahh... next topic, haha >_>"

Anyway yeah. Job stability isn't part of the "new contract" between companies and workers, T. You're probably not going to find it, except in companies that are likely to get torn apart by modern short-term focused business practices in relatively short order. E: I think it got traded for what the doublespeak is calling something along the lines of "right to professional self-development", i.e. companies don't want to spend as much money training you. Job stability traded for the financial burden of training being shifted partially or entirely on the employee. Fair trade, haha!
« Last Edit: March 25, 2014, 10:22:11 am by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #34270 on: March 25, 2014, 10:23:07 am »

Agreed. I've got to let go of some of my folks that have been doing awesome work for me the last 3 months, just because they're contractors and my project is coming to an end. Then I get to see if *I* still have a job, because I have no new projects waiting on me that I know of.  :-\

The complete lack of job stability has ripple effects:
Housing market (why tie yourself to a 30-year mortgage if you might have to move to find a new job in 1-2 years?)
Consumer spending (you pretty much are always in "oh shit I might get laid off soon, better eat ramen" mode)
Relationships (my marriage started to fall apart the first time I got laid off. The 2nd layoff pretty much sealed the deal)

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #34271 on: March 25, 2014, 10:47:57 am »

This is why I want to get into academic and research work. Might not pay much, but it's probably more stable.

... Of course, that's not -saying- much, and "adjunct professor" as a phrase makes me fly into a rage.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #34272 on: March 25, 2014, 11:36:12 am »

Ha ha ha. Oh man, desc, you should actually check job outlook in research and academics before assuming it's stable. Maybe it's better in canada or with STEM based research, I'unno, but all the legit talks I got regarding employment in the academic field roughly boiled down to "You poor bastard."
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #34273 on: March 25, 2014, 11:49:59 am »

I just wonder what the political landscape is going to look like in 10-20 years when the baby boomers are mostly out of the picture, and the millenials start seriously clawing their way out of the pits.  We've grown up in such an atmosphere of extreme, inescapable bullshit.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #34274 on: March 25, 2014, 12:12:19 pm »

I just wonder what the political landscape is going to look like in 10-20 years when the baby boomers are mostly out of the picture, and the millenials start seriously clawing their way out of the pits.  We've grown up in such an atmosphere of extreme, inescapable bullshit.
*Shudders*

That will be a bleak day.

What I really get angry about on the whole equality thing is this idea of positive discrimination. I mean, they really should have figured something was wrong just by looking at the name of the twisted thing they'd created. Jobs should be allocated because of merit, not because of gender or race. Saying you're doing it for the benefit of one side doesn't mean you aren't doing it to the detriment of the other side as well.

So stupid. So very, very stupid. It's still discrimination.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread
Pages: 1 ... 2283 2284 [2285] 2286 2287 ... 3345